Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request for Review on TESU BSBA Plan
Greetings DegreeForum Smile

After starting the process over 2 months ago, I believe I am almost at... the starting line!

I recently received my transcript evaluation from TESU, the last of the three schools I applied for (COSC and Excelsior being the others), and TESU has offered the most amount of credits thus far with a system that, for me, is the easiest to understand in regards to future planning.

I've yet to fill in what I intend on doing about the courses I am still required to complete, but I was wondering if someone may be able to take a glance at my evaluation as well as the unused credits (separate tab in the sheet) if I would be closer to completion by doing the BSBA CIS as opposed to the GM?

This is an incredible motivation boost given the long processing and waiting times from when I first started this. TESU hasn't sent out an email yet stating they've finished my transcript evaluation, so I am hopeful that there will be more filled in the meantime, but I wanted to see if anyone would be willing to share their thoughts Smile

Thanks!

Attached Files
.xlsx   Less than 1 minute ago">David - TESU 2016 BSBA GenMan.xlsx (Size: 84.96 KB / Downloads: 25)
scoriae Wrote:I've yet to fill in what I intend on doing about the courses I am still required to complete, but I was wondering if someone may be able to take a glance at my evaluation as well as the unused credits (separate tab in the sheet) if I would be closer to completion by doing the BSBA CIS as opposed to the GM?

In looking at this, I think that it's kind of 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

If you choose the CIS degree, then you move several of your CIS/COS course out of Sections D & Gen Ed Electives, and you'll have to replace those courses (maybe 5 Gen Ed Electives). Your AOS is completed. And you can take additional CIS/COS courses from SL, Study.com, DSST, CLEP etc. to replace the Gen Ed's.

If you choose the GM degree, then you only need 1 Gen Ed Elective course, and you'll have to take 4 AOS courses (they won't give you a waiver for that missing .25cr). You could take the free 1cr Sophia course (Developing Effective Teams?) and that would work there though. At least 1 of your courses will have to be in ACC or FIN.

For the CIS degree, they will bring COS-330, CIS-311, and CIS-299 from Other into the AOS, looking like they're using more of your credits. BUT, MAN-431, MAN-299 and MAR-299 would get booted out to "Other". So, it's seriously a wash there.

I personally would do the CIS, as I think it would be a better degree for you, since you have a lot of courses there anyway.

----------------------------------

I would also think about getting a BSIT degree at WGU, if you wanted a tech degree instead of a business degree. It might be more useful, depending on what you want to do with your degree. Do you have an AA/AS/AAS at Niagara College already?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
My sincerest appreciation for your response, dfrecore!

I would like to clarify my situation a bit, as it may assist in better determining my goal. Im in a fuzzy place where the ultimate goal is indeed to have a Bachelor's Degree of any kind for the purposes of advancement, but I also wanted to obtain one in an area I have some interest in while I am at it; namely, finance/business. Though this is not a strict goal, it is something I am interested in and it seems as though the legwork would be similar no matter what path I took.

Regarding the inquiry about Niagara College, I have completed two programs there which resulted in in a Diploma (Culinary Management, 2 Year), and Advanced Diploma (Computer Programmer Analyst, 3 Year). My transcript and qualification was evaluated to be the equivalent of two Associate Degrees as well, with an overall 3.2 GPA.

I would be more interested in pursuing a BSBA in CIS if it would effectively reduce the overall time I am required to spend towards the degree, but based on what you've stated, it seems as though there is no particular advantage in going one direction or another.

I do appreciate the 4 AOS course heads up regarding the 0.25 credit waiver, and how I may be able to remedy that. I am starting to plan out my courses moving forward, and these details are critical by no exaggeration of the word.
You may want to go with whichever degree is more in line with the career (and/or grad school) you want.

GM is probably easier material, because SL and Study.com make it simpler to just speed through the courses.

That's looking mighty fine, I am impressed, in two months you have decided on and are working towards that TESU goal. (It took me years).
Basically, I hate fighting, my right brain sometimes doesn't listen to or work together with my left brain, I would suggest you to do the following.
Since you have TWO associates, why not have TWO AREAS of AOS?! Cha-ching! The BSBA is already a general business degree.

I was looking into two areas before and was told GM couldn't do that, but since a few months ago, it can! Get the permission to do both.
All you have to do is, fork out that cash for the extra courses and also make sure you have prior permission/pre-approval from TESU.
I say it would be worth it for just that extra one or two courses either way with SL/Study.com for the BSBA General Management + CIS.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
You may want to take a look at the following thread/post. http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post239895
Actually, let me just copy and paste the info I typed on that post as well... You just want to look at the bottom three links.

Here's some helpful info if you're still unsure of what you want to do. I also suggest you take a double concentration in your BSBA.
You can go for an associates, it won't really matter, but I do recall that there's a limit of 4 undergraduate degrees total. So...
For example, 2 associates, 2 bachelors. Or you can mix and match to get 4 total... Nationally Accredited U's don't have this restriction.

TESU Award of Degrees: Award of Degrees
TESU Two Areas of Study within 1 degree: Two Areas of Study Within One Degree
Secret to earning second degree: The Secret to Earning a Second Degree | Thomas Edison State University
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Ideas Wrote:You may want to go with whichever degree is more in line with the career (and/or grad school) you want.

GM is probably easier material, because SL and Study.com make it simpler to just speed through the courses.

The AOS for CIS is already completed if the OP wants to go that direction.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
bjcheung77 Wrote:That's looking mighty fine, I am impressed, in two months you have decided on and are working towards that TESU goal. (It took me years).
Basically, I hate fighting, my right brain sometimes doesn't listen to or work together with my left brain, I would suggest you to do the following.
Since you have TWO associates, why not have TWO AREAS of AOS?! Cha-ching! The BSBA is already a general business degree.

I was looking into two areas before and was told GM couldn't do that, but since a few months ago, it can! Get the permission to do both.
All you have to do is, fork out that cash for the extra courses and also make sure you have prior permission/pre-approval from TESU.
I say it would be worth it for just that extra one or two courses either way with SL/Study.com for the BSBA General Management + CIS.

Since your CIS AOS is already completed, and you have 2 full courses done in the GM AOS, this is a possibility. You would need 4 courses to complete it - at least 1 from FIN or ACC.

If I were you, and you didn't need this for any particular reason, I probably would not do it. It's not really necessary, and a BSBA in CIS is as good as or better than a BSBA in GM in most instances.
To both bhcheung77 and dfrecore,

Thank you for your replies and information! I actually thought about going through the BSBA CIS specifically to make more use of my computer courses, but I felt that it would be a repetition of what I have done before whereas the GM aspect would help me gain new knowledge in an area I have personal interest in. I havent planned out the possible routes as of yet but from what feedback that you've both provided, it doesn't seem to be much different in terms of work invested.

I have a goal of trying to graduate before the end of the year, which is why I wanted to streamline the process as much as possible by going through the path of least resistance, while balancing some sort of expansion of knowledge in an area I am not familiar with. The ultimate goal, if I am required to select one for consideration purposes, would be speed.

I did see that someone graduated with both a GM and CIS AOS in a different thread, and for a moment I thought... "hey, that could be me!"

Regretfully my work situation is that I am unable to dedicate as much time as I would like for the completion of the degree, so I don't know if the end of the year mark is feasible. I have approximately 1.5 months total worth business trips requiring near full-day (defined by waking period and not the 9-6) between now and December that would set me back in time and motivation.

Im both excited, yet scared, and still very much in the dark on how I should be tackling this goal, but I very much have the drive to do so. Even as ALEKS kicked my rear the other day...
I attempted to re-do my plan to include both GM and CIS, and it doesn't seem as though I will require that many more classes than I originally did, and appears to be readily doable with classes such as some of the more basic ALEKS math for the missing electives.

I'm pretty sure I messed up somewhere, but if I may respectfully request an additional review, I would be very grateful Smile

Once my original transcript evaluation is complete, I will reach out to TESU about doing two areas of study and see what they say from their official hardline stance.

Edit: Changed the color coding a bit!
Light Tan: Completed LL Class
Dark? Tan: Completed UL Class

Attached Files
.xlsx   Less than 1 minute ago">David - TESU 2017 BSBA GM & CIS.xlsx (Size: 163.01 KB / Downloads: 14)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,982 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,662 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,109 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,645 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,734 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,348 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,596 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,326 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,379 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,861 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore