Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you taking courses more for personal development than career development?
Just wondering what stories are out there from people whose main motivation for degrees and certifications ISN'T to get a job.

Years ago I quit going to school because I was enjoying my real estate activities, friends, and fishing.... and school was seeming more like a burden (this was back when butt-in-seat was about all we had available). I never have regretted my choice to drop out.

To me, degrees and certificates seem like a good way to progress through fields of study. Right now I am on a business track, specifically a BSBA in General Management. I have been in business for myself most of my adult life (I am 42 yrs old). I have dealt with employees, contractors, payroll, debt, bankers, govt agents, thieves.... all that good stuff. Looking back I can see things I have done very well, and certainly things I should have done MUCH better. The business classes I am taking and will take will help me in future business projects, as well as personal matters.

Really, I would like to follow a history or humanities path, but the options there (at least the ones I have FOUND) cost more than I feel like paying. I think it is better for me to go the business path for now, and maybe earn credits in other fields of study as opportunities present themselves. I've done some non-credit Saylor courses, and started a couple of MIT open courseware philosophy/history. If I can very inexpensively get degree or certificate relevant credit for things like that, I would. So, after the BSBA I will keep an eye out for CBE specials.

For those of you who aren't working on credits for the purpose of getting a job or promotions, what's your story?
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
I am working for a degree so that I can hopefully keep my job until I can retire in 8 or 9 years. When I was hired, 32 years ago, I only had one year of college but was tired of school. A degree was not needed at that time to get a job. After 5 years of going no where in my job, I started a four year apprenticeship program to become a Chemical Operator. Decided after a few more years that I wanted to work in an office job instead of manufacturing but didn't have an Associates degree. Went to school and got that done and landed my office job. Now it is all about having a BS degree, they don't care what the degree is in as long as you have one. No job advancements without one and when it comes time to cut jobs, us older ones without a degree are offered packages and encouraged to take retirement. After 32 years with the same company, I don't want to start over somewhere else this late in my life.
TESU BSBA Accounting and BSBA General Management - June 2018
I'm taking courses specifically to get a job, but I read books all the time for personal enrichment. I intend to spend the rest of my life learning something new, whether it is for my field or not.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
I love learning. So glad I discovered this method of learning its a much better fit for me than traditional school. Hoping to become a CPA finish what I started 18 years ago.
I'm hoping that my degree(s) will help me earn money as an employee, but it's less likely in my situation, because of medical problems. (More about that in my Unsure thread.)

So, it is a mixture of doing it because I want to learn, doing it so I have something tangible that I focused on and achieved, doing it for future business projects, and for freelancing.

In my type of freelancing, they are usually flexible about what credential you have, but I am still trying to balance what I actually want/like versus what is more marketable.

Also I am trying mostly do something lower cost, at least for the next year or two. Then I might get a loan if I really want Doctorate or more expensive Masters. Some fields are so expensive for Masters, compared to the competency-based Masters.

BA was more for personal development, BS is more for work purposes. If I go on to a graduate degree, it will be career focused.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I don't really like business courses myself, they seem to gear towards a working culture in large corporations and really cover common sense topics. I prefer studying international relations and conflict and tying that in to business. Personally I do not need the degree as I'm self employed but I would like to now finish as it is a goal that will show some success and accomplishment. My next step after BA is to tackle a certificate in taxation, which is a topic I can use every year.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
I did edx courses about aerospace and engineering, and other online courses and video sets (MIT has great ones) for fun. I decided to earn some nice papers....so I can go back to learning about what interests me. Might help me move into management too, and pad my resume. But im looking forward to finishing so I can go back to learning random stuff that I enjoy. Might do a BA history after the bsba...for myself. I listen to aerospace lectures and speeches and whatnot while Im working pretty often, since I dont like studying that way.

Listened to a few hours of The Atlantic Space Summit today, great stuff!

Oh, so to answer the original question:Im trying to earn degrees so that I can move into management in aerospace someday, as a lot of those positions ask for a bachelors degree. I dont need it per-se...only need it to move to management. And once I get the degrees, I will go back to taking non credit courses in aerospace and engineering topics, for fun. Also plan to start taking some maths to work up to advanced maths....nothing to do with my career, just for myself.

But I dont need a degree to do what I do for any of the space companies.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

I've been home, homeschooling my kids for 14 years. BUT, if I want to go back into the workplace when my youngest graduates from HS in 5 years, then I'd better have a degree. The world has changed since I left - 12 years in HR/Finance/Accounting/Legal in the Silicon Valley before it became "the Silicon Valley" and no one needed a degree is no longer. Plus, I don't live there anymore.

If I decide to go back to work, I like having the degree (almost there) and may get an MBA. But I will definitely get an HR cert to show currency (in HR, you need to know the current laws and regs).

So, really, I don't NEED a degree now, but it certainly helps to have one so that if the time comes when I need it, I'm not scrambling.

I'm trying to convince my husband to get a degree as well. He's in IT, in sales, and he doesn't need a degree either. BUT, he does get calls from recruiters fairly regularly, and several times the degree question has come up. He can stay where he's at w/o the degree, but again, it would certainly be nice to have that, even if he doesn't NEED it. You never know when it might be the deciding factor on a position that you really want.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Right now, career development. I can't wait to finish because I want to take more courses for personal enrichment. I love learning new things and I'm really happy we have all of these choices: Coursera, College's with free open courses, etc.

Although I secretly wish that I would hit the $40+ million lottery so I could become a career student. I've wanted to be a veterinarian since I was little. My kid's doctor was telling me that she went back to school at 40 to become a Pediatrician and I thought that was amazing.
Currently working on: BSBA-Accounting @ WGU

Open Source Degrees: Computer Science | Data Science | Game Development

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible Career Change - Advice Needed acamp 20 1,556 6 hours ago
Last Post: RavindraNagai
  What career move would you make? FAANG Contract or steady work mohelena02 21 2,138 02-08-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  81 Courses in 24 Hours Alpha 29 2,236 09-11-2022, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Personal Finance MrPanda 11 1,477 07-25-2022, 04:17 AM
Last Post: itsbacl
  Modern Languages Launches Online Language Courses LevelUP 0 465 07-23-2022, 11:09 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Life After Career Switch Alpha 1 697 03-04-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  What Is The Mobility of Your Career? Kal Di 0 784 02-16-2022, 03:20 AM
Last Post: Kal Di
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 944 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher
  Most fun/entertaining relevant courses rachel83az 11 1,638 04-06-2021, 02:09 PM
Last Post: jch
  Vested - Free online courses (orientations) bjcheung77 0 921 11-16-2020, 06:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77