Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LinkedIn
Oh, and all the top brass at the prison I was a CO at had profiles. Barely any of the COs....but thats because it wasnt really a career....its somewhere to work to make some quick cash and then ditch it. If you are more career then job oriented....just make one. It cant hurt...if you are truthful.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

Besides LinkedIn, what are the "common" sites, such as Indeed?
What other social media platforms would you use to "spread" your reach with?
I don't think Facebook or Twitter, Pinterest or Instagram would do, but those would spread it the most!
Any viable options other than those mentioned? Like maybe job posting sites?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
bjcheung77 Wrote:Besides LinkedIn, what are the "common" sites, such as Indeed?
I don't think Facebook or Twitter, Pinterest or Instagram would do, but those would spread it the most!

Monster.com, CareerBuilder, and then there are some for specific industries like Tech.

icampy Wrote:Oh, and all the top brass at the prison I was a CO at had profiles. Barely any of the COs....but thats because it wasnt really a career....its somewhere to work to make some quick cash and then ditch it. If you are more career then job oriented....just make one. It cant hurt...if you are truthful.

I don't know what state you're in, but CO is absolutely a career in NJ, and not one that you ditch. I can't tell you the number of guys I know who are COs. State benefits, step raises topping at over 80k, and retirement after 25 years. I took the civil service test and was offered the position at 18 but passed on it because I didn't want to work in a prison, especially as a teen. Looking back, I'd be over halfway to retirement now and making over 100k with overtime, not even factoring in if I moved up in rank. Also, I know of some guys who have used the CO position as a way into the State Police.
bjcheung77 Wrote:Besides LinkedIn, what are the "common" sites, such as Indeed?
What sector/industry/market interests you? The various professional societies often have student sections with benefits like career services/resume help, and networking/career events for students/job seekers. That might be a place to start. There may be career fairs/job fairs in your area sponsored by local colleges (but open to the public), or conferences in your area of interest may offer a networking event or a career/job fair as part of the program.
ndelcollo Wrote:I don't know what state you're in, but CO is absolutely a career in NJ, and not one that you ditch. I can't tell you the number of guys I know who are COs. State benefits, step raises topping at over 80k, and retirement after 25 years. I took the civil service test and was offered the position at 18 but passed on it because I didn't want to work in a prison, especially as a teen. Looking back, I'd be over halfway to retirement now and making over 100k with overtime, not even factoring in if I moved up in rank. Also, I know of some guys who have used the CO position as a way into the State Police.

Oh there were great bebefits, retirement, etc. I mean the COs didn't view it that way. There was maybe 5 out of 50 that took it as a career.

It's a great opportunity for people. My first year I made 79k there. Lazy boys need to go get a job in a prison.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

I connect with everyone I can on LinkedIn. I am approaching 12,000 connections.
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Current: MA in Humanities from American Public University.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.
dewisant Wrote:I connect with everyone I can on LinkedIn. I am approaching 12,000 connections.

have you seen any benefit come from this?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
dewisant Wrote:I connect with everyone I can on LinkedIn. I am approaching 12,000 connections.

That's a great number, awesome for you, I think others (including my friends) would rather have "recommendations".
I recall LinkedIn having recommendations of people and the ability to read those recommendations...
It's great to have connections, but I think it's better to have recommendations over that.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I have made new friends with LinkedIn, but I have no real ambition in life, so measurable benefit...let's say I cannot really tell. I would get contacted on a regular basis about getting a job at Boeing and I would tell people to use the website/front door because Boeing was hiring every day of the week. I was Blue-Collar for over 30 years there and never had any real power.
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Current: MA in Humanities from American Public University.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you keep a part time job listed on your LinkedIn Vle045 3 821 04-26-2022, 11:23 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  DegreeForum LinkedIn Networking ashkir 16 1,976 05-20-2021, 03:34 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  LinkedIn Anyone? ShotoJuku 28 4,610 02-11-2019, 07:59 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  LinkedIN and other job fishing holes High_Order1 21 3,941 02-11-2018, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Look up who you are by googling your school combinations and linkedin? soliloquy 6 1,314 05-28-2015, 08:22 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  LinkedIn koenigtv 10 2,065 02-24-2015, 10:16 PM
Last Post: nleamons
  LinkedIn privacy settings clep3705 3 1,283 12-27-2014, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Exfactor
  LinkedIn BMWGuinness 2 1,785 01-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Last Post: BMWGuinness