Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible to major in psychology, with a minor in education?
I'm planning on getting a psychology degree. I have two college degrees here in Canada, which are equivalent to associate's degrees. I don't have a university degree so I'm not completely sure how they work (sorry if the question is rather basic). The psychology degree is mainly for personal knowledge and also due to needing a university degree to be able to teach English abroad (the place where I want to teach only requires a bachelor's degree of any kind). Having a minor in teaching could also result in higher pay and more knowledge regarding teaching. I would rather major in psychology since it is not certain I will be teaching (or teaching for very long at the very least), and what I will learn from the psychology major will be of interest and use to me.

- Would majoring in psychology and having a minor in education (both online/distance) be possible?
- Would it be more costly?
- Would I have less psychology courses because of this?
- Also, for teaching English, is an education minor what is needed/good?
TESU does not have minors; they only do double majors. They only have concentrations for liberal studies and business majors. TESU does not have have anything for teaching or education.

I'm not familiar with the requirements to teach abroad, but I have heard that any degree will do.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:TESU does not have minors; they only do double majors. They only have concentrations for liberal studies and business majors. TESU does not have have anything for teaching or education.

I'm not familiar with the requirements to teach abroad, but I have heard that any degree will do.
How much would a double major cost at similar universities, compared to a single-major degree? Double the price, more than double, 25% more?
A double major at TESU won't be that much more if you can take the required courses/prerequisites in the "free elective/general education electives".
Having said that, the other two (COSC/EC) may require more credits for second major (24-30), if you can squeeze it into their electives, the fee drops.
The main thing is "looking for cheap online transferable" credits for the two majors. That's the hard part, keeping the courses & costs cheap/easy/fast.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Kev Wrote:How much would a double major cost at similar universities, compared to a single-major degree? Double the price, more than double, 25% more?

It depends on the first major and second major. It also depends on what university/college.

Some majors can't be combined like business and psychology, for example, because the business school is different from the liberal arts school.

Besides the Big Four schools, they can get expensive.

Patten has a Psych degree with a concentration in Early Childhood Education. That's the only one that even halfway applies here. Their pricing is good, they're a competency-based model, $1316/4-month term. You can transfer in a bunch of credit from ACE, leaving just the core courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Kev, which school did you go to for your associates degrees? You can go for a 3 year Bachelors degree for cheap by transfer.
I forgot to mention this last time I updated the post, but anyways, if you provide more info on the degree/courses, it may directly transfer.
This is with or without any additional courses, it'll be the Bachelors of General Studies (3 year - 90 credits) mainly applied credits.
You can totally use this for teaching in Canada (especially Alberta) or overseas... it's exactly what you're looking for - minus psychology.

dfrecore Wrote:Patten has a Psych degree with a concentration in Early Childhood Education. That's the only one that even halfway applies here. Their pricing is good, they're a competency-based model, $1316/4-month term. You can transfer in a bunch of credit from ACE, leaving just the core courses.

Kev, this is a good inexpensive program as well. I would think (if cheap) to get both the BGS 90 credits from Athabasca & Patten Psych degree.
The reason is for Athabasca, there are no residency requirements for these 90 credits, it all transfers in without taking a single course.
You just pay the admission/evaluation/graduation fee and you have an extra degree to show it off, that degree alone allows teaching in Alberta.

bjcheung77 Wrote:Kev, which school did you go to for your associates degrees? You can go for a 3 year Bachelors degree for cheap by transfer.
I forgot to mention this last time I updated the post, but anyways, if you provide more info on the degree/courses, it may directly transfer.
This is with or without any additional courses, it'll be the Bachelors of General Studies (3 year - 90 credits) mainly applied credits.
You can totally use this for teaching in Canada (especially Alberta) or overseas... it's exactly what you're looking for - minus psychology.
Hi, bjcheung. Sent you a PM.
dfrecore Wrote:Patten has a Psych degree with a concentration in Early Childhood Education. That's the only one that even halfway applies here. Their pricing is good, they're a competency-based model, $1316/4-month term. You can transfer in a bunch of credit from ACE, leaving just the core courses.

bjcheung77 Wrote:Kev, this is a good inexpensive program as well. I would think (if cheap) to get both the BGS 90 credits from Athabasca & Patten Psych degree.
The reason is for Athabasca, there are no residency requirements for these 90 credits, it all transfers in without taking a single course.
You just pay the admission/evaluation/graduation fee and you have an extra degree to show it off, that degree alone allows teaching in Alberta.
The Psychology degree with Early Childhood Education concentration looks really interesting. Just looking at the courses is motivating to take them. Smile

So the Psychology degree with Early Childhood Education concentration at Patten would be Psychology as a major and Early Childhood Education as a minor?
Also, since I would really like to do more classic psychology courses, for this degree and concentration at Patten, the General Education Requirements and Psychology Core Requirements courses are exactly the same courses for a normal/classic psychology degree?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 14 2,561 04-11-2024, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Msecool123
  Worldwide Education Services (WES) Shelf life? nyrsimon 3 229 04-02-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: nyrsimon
  UK vs US, Education Compared bjcheung77 1 201 03-18-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,539 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Country Preview: Poland - Inexpensive European Education bjcheung77 11 1,996 01-29-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 371 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  US Education Department unveils stricter college oversight rules bjcheung77 0 349 11-01-2023, 02:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Education Is Now America’s Great Divide LevelUP 2 364 10-06-2023, 02:50 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Continuing Education stipend ideas impasta 5 484 09-21-2023, 12:52 PM
Last Post: impasta
  Amberton website (major) redesign allvia 8 756 08-02-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Maniac Craniac