Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with a TESU degree plan for BA in English
(11-09-2017, 01:37 AM)DIGI-212 Wrote: This course from BYU independent study might work: https://is.byu.edu/description/CHIN-343-M001

Good price! $564. Possibly the best price for online out-of-state.

Those UTexas ones that were $550 are now $850!

(11-09-2017, 01:16 AM)originalamyj Wrote: Keep us posted where you decide to take it, please. I have 2 Cleps and a bunch of shmoop courses before I need to think about that one.

Did you decide not to take Study.com Advanced Technical Writing? Or maybe I have you confused with someone else who planned it for their English degree. Some were saying it is UL, for now. If it's UL, I'll be doing it.

(11-09-2017, 01:52 AM)Ideas Wrote:
(11-09-2017, 01:37 AM)DIGI-212 Wrote: This course from BYU independent study might work: https://is.byu.edu/description/CHIN-343-M001

Good price! $564. Possibly the best price for online out-of-state.

Those UTexas ones that were $550 are now $850!

BYU is a private school, they don't normally do in-state and out-of-state (as opposed to state schools, where state taxes are used to pay for much of the school system, so they give preference in pricing to in-state residents).

But that is a great option for the non-Western Lit requirement at TESU!!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-09-2017, 01:56 AM)dfrecore Wrote: BYU is a private school, they don't normally do in-state and out-of-state (as opposed to state schools, where state taxes are used to pay for much of the school system, so they give preference in pricing to in-state residents).

But that is a great option for the non-Western Lit requirement at TESU!!

I just meant that it's a great price for people who don't live in a state with cheap in-state options Smile

But that is interesting... I had not thought about it. I guess when I look around, I end up mostly looking at state schools, because I am price-conscious. It is good to know that private ones can have decent prices too.

(11-05-2017, 12:12 AM)originalamyj Wrote: FlyBoy, I’m also working on an English degree. In addition to Shmoop I’m planning to do the Analyzing and Interpreting Lit and American Lit CLEP tests as well as the Technical Writing TECEP too. I’ll probably get Non-Western through College of DuPage. I think it’s about $500.

What will you do with your degree?

Wow, I hadn't checked this post for a while, and there are so many helpful replies! Thanks, guys. This will make it so much easier to round out my degree plan. Smile

originalamyj, I'm looking at a few different possibilities. I want to get into teaching, and one option that has come up is teaching ESL in foreign countries, which would be a great way to travel and really experience other cultures. There are avenues to do that in the US, too, if I wanted to stay here. The other main reason is to have a fairly general bachelor's degree that would support language/communication skills for my work in general in marketing/graphic design, and to serve as the bachelors' requirement for a future master's degree in theology or philosophy or something from a Christian seminary. Basically, I think an English degree would round out certain helpful skills, and open doors for future teaching/masters degree possibilities.

Okay, so I've got my degree plan fleshed out, but I'm curious whether these Shmoop courses might fit in for the 3 credits of Analyzing and Interpreting Literature:

Literature 101: https://www.shmoop.com/courses/literature-college/
Foundations of Literature: https://www.shmoop.com/courses/foundatio...e-college/

And what about the 6 credits of Survey of Literature? If I had a 3-credit American Literature course and a 3-credit English Literature, would that cover it?
Okay, I've prepared my tentative degree plan for my BA in English from TESU. I have College Algebra, 3-credit American Literature, Intro to Computers, and the free electives to transfer in from my associates degree in Design and Media Production at Lanier Tech, and I've already taken the American History I and II CLEP tests. The rest would be new from various sources denoted in the sheet.

How does it look? Obviously before I got too far I would enroll at TESU and get my degree plan approved officially, but I'm pretty sure of most of this working from all the resources here and elsewhere that I've found. I could take the Technical Writing TECEP to keep myself enrolled after the first year was up, and give me more time to complete the rest of my degree requirements.

Thank you guys so much for your help. Smile

Attached Files
.pdf   TE BA in English Degree Plan V2.pdf (Size: 43.68 KB / Downloads: 16)
Why not take the 6 credit Analyzing and Interpreting Lit CLEP? It would fulfill the Info Literacy requirement and the other 3 credits you need for A&I in the area of study. If you still want to take World Religions that will slot easily into General Ed requirements.

Also, take the 6 credit American Lit (easier than English Lit) CLEP to fulfill the survey requirement.
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
Go ahead and apply and send your transcripts in. Then you'll really know where all your existing credits slot in.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(11-19-2017, 12:46 AM)originalamyj Wrote: Why not take the 6 credit Analyzing and Interpreting Lit CLEP? It would fulfill the Info Literacy requirement and the other 3 credits you need for A&I in the area of study. If you still want to take World Religions that will slot easily into General Ed requirements.

Also, take the 6 credit American Lit (easier than English Lit) CLEP to fulfill the survey requirement.

Many feel that English Lit is easier.

Good luck, You can do it.
(11-19-2017, 04:10 AM)davewill Wrote: Go ahead and apply and send your transcripts in. Then you'll really know where all your existing credits slot in.

(11-21-2017, 06:48 AM)livelovelaugh91897 Wrote: Good luck, You can do it.

Thank you so much, guys! I've slightly revised my degree plan, and I'm going to apply and send in my transcripts in the next month or so to get this ball rolling. I'm excited! I've attached the new version here just in case it would be informative for anyone else looking at this degree path.

Attached Files
.pdf   TE BA in English Degree Plan V3.pdf (Size: 43.74 KB / Downloads: 16)
[-] The following 1 user Likes FlyBoyEJ's post:
  • livelovelaugh91897

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,923 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,153 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,020 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,579 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,291 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,281 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,318 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic