Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amberton business programs
Did anyone complete any of the MBA programs with Amberton? There are a lot of things I like about Amberton (ability to transfer in courses, Southern regional accreditation, variety of specializations, culture of the institution, etc) but I am starting to think none of these things justify the higher cost.
MBA- WGU, in progress 2018
BSBA- TESU, Sep. 2017

kalishakti Wrote:Did anyone complete any of the MBA programs with Amberton? There are a lot of things I like about Amberton (ability to transfer in courses, Southern regional accreditation, variety of specializations, culture of the institution, etc) but I am starting to think none of these things justify the higher cost.

I would say that their prices are VERY reasonable at $265/cr. The only issue I would have is that you have to plan out your courses wisely, because they aren't all offered each term online. I do like that they have 10-week sessions, rather than 16-week semesters (I loathe semesters, I lose steam halfway through).

APU is $350/cr, and they have 8-week terms, which start more often. They are RA, but also have ACBSP accreditation which Amberton doesn't have. ENMU is $286/cr (if you take 2 or fewer courses each term), is semester-based, and also ACBSP-accredited. Both will let you transfer in a couple of courses from another ACBSP accredited school.

I would say that if you like the competency-based model, then it's certainly cheaper - but only if you can finish quickly. For myself, I would not finish quickly, so I would rather pay course-by-course for a more traditional program.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:I would say that their prices are VERY reasonable at $265/cr. The only issue I would have is that you have to plan out your courses wisely, because they aren't all offered each term online. I do like that they have 10-week sessions, rather than 16-week semesters (I loathe semesters, I lose steam halfway through).

APU is $350/cr, and they have 8-week terms, which start more often. They are RA, but also have ACBSP accreditation which Amberton doesn't have. ENMU is $286/cr (if you take 2 or fewer courses each term), is semester-based, and also ACBSP-accredited. Both will let you transfer in a couple of courses from another ACBSP accredited school.

I would say that if you like the competency-based model, then it's certainly cheaper - but only if you can finish quickly. For myself, I would not finish quickly, so I would rather pay course-by-course for a more traditional program.

Thanks for the input. I do like the competency-based model, I was comparing the costs with other competency-based programs like WGU or Patten. I agree the prices are very reasonable compared to more traditional programs.
MBA- WGU, in progress 2018
BSBA- TESU, Sep. 2017

kalishakti Wrote:Did anyone complete any of the MBA programs with Amberton? There are a lot of things I like about Amberton (ability to transfer in courses, Southern regional accreditation, variety of specializations, culture of the institution, etc) but I am starting to think none of these things justify the higher cost.

kalishakti Wrote:Thanks for the input. I do like the competency-based model, I was comparing the costs with other competency-based programs like WGU or Patten. I agree the prices are very reasonable compared to more traditional programs.

Patten is the cheapest option, however; just for slightly more, I recommend WGU over Patten because of the ability to network
(I mean just alone in the forums, there are more graduates from WGU than Patten), that will open doors in the future for you.
When I look at the price of Amberton's degree, it's actually a very inexpensive degree and a pretty well known provider.
I also looked at WGU, they are the pretty well known as well, it's not just a "check the box" Masters degree you'll be getting.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
bjcheung77 Wrote:Patten is the cheapest option, however; just for slightly more, I recommend WGU over Patten because of the ability to network
(I mean just alone in the forums, there are more graduates from WGU than Patten), that will open doors in the future for you.
When I look at the price of Amberton's degree, it's actually a very inexpensive degree and a pretty well known provider.
I also looked at WGU, they are the pretty well known as well, it's not just a "check the box" Masters degree you'll be getting.

I actually live within a few hours of Amberton, and some people here have heard about them. I was honestly contemplating picking up a Master of Arts in Professional Development degree from them using VESi (& maybe that Certell thing people are talking about). Get my feet wet in graduate studies and see if I really want to push for an MBA or MIS.

Though, admittedly, Patten looks really, really good. Even if it took 8 months, that cost and format (one paper and one test per class) is a drop in the bucket compared to the 100+ papers and $30k+ some people talk about.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Data Analytics Programs ss20ts 6 181 9 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 442 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 27 17,440 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: David1477
  Utah Eccles Master of Business Creation (MBC) Jonathan Whatley 0 187 03-29-2024, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Open University Malaysia has PhD programs below 10k USD nyvrem 2 425 02-19-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: armado
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 580 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Need Input on My Amberton University Master's/HR Certification Plan Claudia P 8 603 02-13-2024, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Claudia P
  Summary of ENEB Masters in Big Data and Business Intelligence Pinko64 4 1,215 02-04-2024, 03:49 PM
Last Post: housecat
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,316 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  ENEB Master in Business and Corporate Communication Habitus 5 1,073 12-05-2023, 08:48 PM
Last Post: nykorn