Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone willing to take a crack at my old transcripts?
Been here helping my daughter and thinking I should really do something with my unfinished degree from way back yonder (85-89). I will list the course name and number, and grade because I have some Ds. :ack: (ah, youth). I started as a finance major but hated it and did very poorly. Switched to Psych. I actually had all this evaluated by the then Regents College (now Excelsior) who didn't (at the time) discriminate between quarter and semester hours.

Can I apply these psych and soc credits to gen electives or free electives and pursue my true love, English, without wasting too many credits? No job prospects per se, just want to finish for Me, Myself and I. And possibly a job down the road but only for the check box, no specific path that I know of right now. But I really would LOVE a degree in English. I may want to teach it, or tutor or something along those lines. Mostly I know I'd love those classes.

Louisiana Tech Univ (QTR) 1985-1988
ENG 101 Fr Comp I - 3 - D
MGT 105 Intro to Business - 3 - D
PSCI 201 National Govt in US - 3 - D
ECON 200 American Industrial Dev - 3 - C
ENG 102 Fr Comp II - 3 - A
BOT 101 Botany - 3 - C
GEOG 230 World Human Geo - 3 - B
MATH 110 Alg for College Students - 3 - D
PSY 102 General Psych - 3 - B
ECON 201 Economic Principles and Problems - 3 - C
SOC 201 Prin and Elements of Sociology - 3 - A
ZOOL 105 Zoology and People - 3 - D
ECON 202 Econ Prin and Problems II - 3 - C
ENGL 201 English Literature - 3 - A
SPAN 102 Elementary Spanish - 3 - B
PSY 202 Adv General Psych - 3 - B
SOC 202 Social Problems - 3 - B
SPED 300 Intro to Exceptional Children - 3 - A
*COUN 400 Intro to Counseling - 3 - A
*PSY 300 Elem Statistical Methods in Soc Sci - 3 - D
*PSY 304 Social Psych - 3 - A
*PSY 301 Fields of Psyc - 3 - C
*PSY 312 Psych of Learning - 3 - D
*SOC 410 Soc of Child Abuse - 3 - C

Middle TN St (SEM) 1989
*PSY 323 Abnormal Psych - 3 - C
*PSY 332 Industrial and Personnel Psych - 3 - D

The * are the ones they originally said were UL but obviously that's likely no longer relevant, just mentioning it. This eval happened in 1992 and at the time they gave me 78 credits, 12 Humanities, 48 Soc Sci, 9 Nat Sci and Math, and 9 Electives.

What can I do with all this? So embarrassed by all the Ds, and I believe those are no longer acceptable in your AOS? I appreciate you playing today! Smile
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
Go for the English degree since you really want it Smile

It's easy to rack up English credits at Shmoop! Well, some of their questions are pain, but it's possible to get most of the AOS credits in 1-2 months at Shmoop. Shmoop is cheap per credit.

At TESU you cannot fully test out. You need a non-Western Lit course. But then a CLEP and Shmoop is it, for AOS.

Edit: This assumes you care about cost and/or speed.

I think my biggest problem is going to be that all those were earned at a Quarter school. So those 24 classes only earn me 48 credits. banghead

How on earth do you make up the credits? Do they look at the total required for a specific area like Intellectual and Practical Skills (15)? Wouldn't they still want to see 3 full credits of Math or English?
Amy
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
The requirements to teach differ state by state but many require a 3.0 GPA. Those D's and C's will make it really tough for most states if you want to become a teacher. Most colleges won't bring in the D's but they will show up on the transcript. If you really want to teach English, you will need to have a strong showing in you're new grades. This means getting a lot of A's. I would honestly not recommend testing out of a single English class and actually take those classes and get A's. This would show you are serious now and you were not then. It said you had 78 credits. Did you receive an associates degree? If so many colleges have a block transfer in which you would be able to bring in the associates degree and not need to meet the school's requirements for gen ed's. From then it would be AoS and electives you would need to focus on.
Tictac Wrote:The requirements to teach differ state by state but many require a 3.0 GPA. Those D's and C's will make it really tough for most states if you want to become a teacher. Most colleges won't bring in the D's but they will show up on the transcript. If you really want to teach English, you will need to have a strong showing in you're new grades. This means getting a lot of A's. I would honestly not recommend testing out of a single English class and actually take those classes and get A's. This would show you are serious now and you were not then. It said you had 78 credits. Did you receive an associates degree? If so many colleges have a block transfer in which you would be able to bring in the associates degree and not need to meet the school's requirements for gen ed's. From then it would be AoS and electives you would need to focus on.

I appreciate your comments! I know those grades look terrible. If only we could go back and erase some of the foolish actions of our 18/19 yo selves. I don't really mean teach as in at a B&M school. I should edit that. I am a SAHM, homeschooling teens, and caregiver of my 86 yo mother in law. I can't go get a job right now. But I could work toward completion of my degree for personal fulfillment reasons and also so that one day when I am ready to return to the workforce (hopefully online) I can check the box. I am more likely to pursue something like editing/transcribing/proofreading or even tutoring. I don't believe any of those would actually look at transcripts, just check that I have the degree. I mean I've never had a potential job pull actual transcripts before. But in all fairness in my working life I always worked in sales and those were the days when actual experience trumped the degree requirement. Now it seems I can't apply for any simple $10/hr online proofreading job without a bachelors. *sigh*

No I don't have an associates. La Tech is a 4-year school, as is MTSU. I've never attended a community college, but I have a good one here now. I just don't have the money to put in to it. It makes more sense to me to figure out if I have anything workable and then pursue testing out of a bachelors.

Oh, I just realized my signature might make things confusing. That's for my daughter, who I came here looking for guidance for initially. That's her path - dual enrolled high schooler completing some credits. My stuff is just in the OP
Amy
It's also competitive for online teaching positions, if you mean at an actual RA school. But there are some others like tutoring.

I can relate to your last post, and I think the mostly test-out English degree would be great for you to check the box. It's pretty cheap and somewhat quick. In my opinion, later on you could always get a certificate to add to your TESU English degree, but that this would be major first step. I think that having work experience would matter more than having a "better" degree.

originalamyj Wrote:I think my biggest problem is going to be that all those were earned at a Quarter school. So those 24 classes only earn me 48 credits. banghead

How on earth do you make up the credits? Do they look at the total required for a specific area like Intellectual and Practical Skills (15)? Wouldn't they still want to see 3 full credits of Math or English?

It depends on the school, but for the Big Three, they will usually accept the non-AOS credits. In that they accept the 2 credits instead of 3, and you make it up by having some other GenEd elective. But really, with the ease and speed of testing out of some credits, it doesn't matter as much, to many of us. For example, I am sure you know this example, but there would be no point worrying over a missing math credit if you can get 3-6 math credits in one evening from ALEKS for $20. It is possible to get a lot in a week from Shmoop, Saylor, TECEPs, etc.

I did a degree plan for both a BALS, and a BA in English. For both, you have 52cr completed, which is the semester equivalent of your quarter courses (3cr of quarter x ⅔ = 2cr semester). There will be a little bit of an issue with the 2cr courses, but not as much as you think. TESU will take a 2cr English II course, and will give you a waiver for that last cr and you can make up for it in the Gen Ed Electives. Same with math, ethics, etc.

Between the degrees, the main difference is where the credits will go. All of the UL credits that got a C or better will go into the AOS for the BALS. For English, none of those will work, so they'll stay in Gen Ed Electives.

BUT, the good news is that you can find most of the courses you need for an English degree at Shmoop. And it's CHEAP! The bad news is that you have to take all of those courses through Shmoop (read up on Shmoop to see what I mean).

Even if you stuck with the BALS degree, you could fill a lot of your remaining slots with English courses.

The main course you can't bring in is English Comp I, as you must get a C or better to bring it in.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Less than 1 minute ago">originalamyj TESU 2016 BALS.xlsx (Size: 89.09 KB / Downloads: 7)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:I did a degree plan for both a BALS, and a BA in English. For both, you have 52cr completed, which is the semester equivalent of your quarter courses (3cr of quarter x ⅔ = 2cr semester). There will be a little bit of an issue with the 2cr courses, but not as much as you think. TESU will take a 2cr English II course, and will give you a waiver for that last cr and you can make up for it in the Gen Ed Electives. Same with math, ethics, etc.

Between the degrees, the main difference is where the credits will go. All of the UL credits that got a C or better will go into the AOS for the BALS. For English, none of those will work, so they'll stay in Gen Ed Electives.

BUT, the good news is that you can find most of the courses you need for an English degree at Shmoop. And it's CHEAP! The bad news is that you have to take all of those courses through Shmoop (read up on Shmoop to see what I mean).

Even if you stuck with the BALS degree, you could fill a lot of your remaining slots with English courses.

The main course you can't bring in is English Comp I, as you must get a C or better to bring it in.
Thank you so much for this! Will download and take a look as soon as possible off my phone. When you say the English I credit had to be a C or better is that specific to that course or specific to an english degree?

If I did go the BA Lib Studies should pick a concentration or just go with the basic degree since it has so much flexibility?
Amy
originalamyj Wrote:Thank you so much for this! Will download and take a look as soon as possible off my phone. When you say the English I credit had to be a C or better is that specific to that course or specific to an english degree?

If I did go the BA Lib Studies should pick a concentration or just go with the basic degree since it has so much flexibility?

TESU's rules are that they will accept transfers of D's, but not for any AOS courses or English Comp I or II, which all need to have C's or better. All degrees.

Regarding a concentration, I don't know what the point it. If it were me, I would either get an English degree, or a BALS w/o a concentration. But I'm not a huge fan of the BALS in general, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU-----Transcripts??? midnite123 6 424 12-21-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Most expensive transcripts? clep3705 8 678 09-06-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Getting Transcripts From College Wanting Money (maybe) xXAnonymousXx 12 2,095 12-07-2020, 01:17 PM
Last Post: innen_oda
  PSA: Send transcripts early and check their receipt status promptly Ideas 2 1,040 08-19-2020, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  How many transcripts do you have? eyrobinson 57 9,949 05-30-2020, 05:09 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  ACE is switching how they transfer your transcripts BrighterFuture88 7 2,741 12-23-2019, 11:24 AM
Last Post: jamshid666
  Transcripts and grades study.com kier7141 3 1,175 05-02-2019, 05:48 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Confused about ACE transcripts bethanyneedsajob 5 1,476 03-16-2019, 01:19 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  Free Clep and DSSt tests & transcripts FishNDip 5 2,467 10-25-2018, 08:57 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question about DSST transcripts bigfloppydonkeyears 0 1,310 01-20-2018, 03:31 PM
Last Post: bigfloppydonkeyears