Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engineering Technology programs: Excelsior vs TESU
Hello, all. First post here. I've been off and on checking this forum for a few years now and have gathered a lot of useful information.

I was recently honorably separated from the Navy and am finally ready to start my degree. I have a few university credits already and a lot of credits on my joint service transcript(mostly from Navy Nuke program). Before I start, though, I have to decide on which school and which program. Both schools appear to have very similar nuclear engineering technology programs which I know will accept a lot of my transfer credits(I've been in talks with them). I was also looking into excelsior's BS in electrical engineering technology and TESU's BS in electronics systems engineering technology. All 4 of those programs have ABET accreditation.

Does anyone have any familiarity with these programs? Specifically, I was wondering how the labs are handled, whether I can do them online or have to find an equivalent class at a local cc? My main goal is to pick whichever will be the fastest(assuming they accept similar amount of transfer credits) and cheapest route(trying to save my GI bill for a more expensive degree down the road), with consideration given if one program is better than the others.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Your best bet is to apply to them, get an evaluation to find out what you require. If you already have a brief idea of what's missing, complete them at the CC or using CLEP/DSST or ACE/NCCRS credits. You can then decide your path of least resistance, go with whatever degree would be "cheaper/easier/faster". I am leaning towards the TESU, you may want to go for a TESU BSAST Technical Studies instead, see if they can place the majority into your AOS to greatly lower the requirements for that section as it's the hardest to find for alternative credits.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
The only logical option is to apply to them. Your personal case will be judged different by all the colleges. Then decide which one gives you a better deal. That's what I did.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

You should apply to both, but most of your nuke credits would probably fit better into a nuclear engineering technology program. TESU has an online one with ABET accreditation.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Excelsior also has ABET accreditation. Since 1997.
USNY Regents College - BS Liberal Arts (Concentration in Sociology) 1987
(09-09-2017, 05:17 PM)KenJ Wrote: Excelsior also has ABET accreditation. Since 1997.

I was referring to TESU's nuclear program. I don't think Excelsior has a nuclear engineering technology program.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(09-09-2017, 05:26 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(09-09-2017, 05:17 PM)KenJ Wrote: Excelsior also has ABET accreditation. Since 1997.

I was referring to TESU's nuclear program. I don't think Excelsior has a nuclear engineering technology program.

They do have a Nuke program. It's been ABET since 1997.
USNY Regents College - BS Liberal Arts (Concentration in Sociology) 1987
(09-09-2017, 05:37 PM)KenJ Wrote:
(09-09-2017, 05:26 PM)sanantone Wrote:

They do have a Nuke program. It's been ABET since 1997.

You're correct.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(07-09-2017, 07:10 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Specifically, I was wondering how the labs are handled, whether I can do them online or have to find an equivalent class at a local cc?
Thank you for your service!

The labs for the area-of-study courses for both schools are handled online.  Check the syllabi for specifics - sometimes you'll need to purchase equipment (eg. an Arduino kit, for a microprocessor course) or software (Multisim, for a basic circuits class).  Professors may ask for screenshots, or for video uploads of you operating equipment.  However, you may find that these courses, if available at a local CC or state university, are considerably cheaper...

Comparing programs, Excelsior offers concentrations (Cybersecurity, Power Systems, etc), whereas TESU has one generic degree for each of EET and NET.  Further, Excelsior courses are a mix of 8-week and 15-week courses...most of the Nuke classes are 8-weeks (the required capstone is 15 weeks).  Some of the electronics are 8 weeks (all the basic theory) whereas some of the concentration courses (eg Power Systems) and the required capstone are 15 weeks.  TESU area of study courses are all 12 weeks.  So how quickly you could finish will depend upon how your credit evaluations come back.  For either program, you'll want to look carefully at class schedules - neither of these programs run 12 monthly starts, which means you'll want to time things carefully.  (Nothing worse than needing 1 class that isn't going to start for another 3 months...)

Both programs are reasonably similar to their brick & mortar counterparts.  Do you have any specific jobs/career paths in mind?  That help pinpoint the best program/degree for your needs.  I hear you on the "FAST!!!" part - what does the "more expensive degree down the road" look like?  The prerequisites for *that* one (eg. is it a masters?  in what?) may also give you the better path for the undergrad work.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SolarKat's post:
  • Life Long Learning
Thank you for your replies! Yes I have narrowed it down to just the nuclear engineering technology program for each college. I applied to both and am still awaiting my evaluation from Thomas Edison. Once, I have that I can plan out what my degree path for either college would be class by class alternative credit by alternative credit. Then I can figure which will be cheaper and faster!
I'm not really sure what career I'm shooting for. I'm thinking that eventually I'd like to be in the engineering field. As far as future degree down the road, that will probably be a master's maybe in engineering (I'm sure I'll have to take extra classes to meet prereqs) or maybe business.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Application Fee Waiver ECH90 2 2,623 09-18-2019, 11:01 PM
Last Post: ECH90
  AF Commission with TESU Degree TESUAF 15 4,349 08-30-2019, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Military waiver for residency charge at tesu Zachcleigh 4 2,259 05-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ECH90
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,360 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU- Admission kruxalk20 15 3,374 02-13-2019, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  65,000 military students have graduated with Excelsior College Life Long Learning 0 2,650 09-27-2017, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  TESU instead of Excelsior Srbinoki 6 3,336 06-26-2017, 05:49 PM
  Best Options at TESU? Residency vs Waiver for Military Dependent. Silly_Me 18 5,322 06-13-2017, 01:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Waiving Application Fee for Military Iamtehking 0 1,619 04-21-2017, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Iamtehking
  Army MLT - ASAST or BSAST at TESU? MLTtoMLS 11 4,484 01-20-2017, 10:19 AM