Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP/DSST Exams
I'm 23 credits away from my CCAF. My AFSC is 3S051. I have 6 exams left to take to finish my degree. I'm wondering if anyone has taken them and if so how difficult they seemed. Furthermore, what materials did you use for studying? I will provide the following exams and my sources for studying.

CLEP:

Principles of Macroeconomics:

- Khan Academy, Study.com, CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics.

CLEP Biology

- Khan Academy, Study.com, Bozeman Science, & CLEP Biology.

CLEP Chemistry

- Khan Academy, Study.com, Bozeman Science, & CLEP Chemistry.

DSST:

Astronomy:

- Study.com, Quizlet

Human Resource Management:

- Study.com, Petersons.com video series, and DSST HR book.

Introduction to Business:

- Petersons.com video series and DSST Intro to Business book.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you all for your time. I am currently studying for Astronomy. I keep putting it back due to not being ready and there are 28 Chapters with an average of 14 - 23 lessons. It's crazy. 

Additional questions: Does the CCAF help for testing for Staff and help with commissioning packages? I've been told it does as I plan on commissioning and making staff my first time.
I took macro as a class at TESC years ago and tested out of micro afterwards by studying Mankiw's *Principles of Economics* text. It covers both macro and micro. I'm pretty sure it was the text used for the macro course so I just kept it and studied the second half to test out of micro in about four to six weeks instead of waiting 12 weeks for the class to finish. Given that I would say it is probably a good choice to actually learn the subject well enough. An older version for $10 would be fine. Also the REA books and "... for Dummies" series are great for learning the basics of these types of things as well, but you will still need to dive into actual textbooks most likely.

Don't forget to verify that each of these courses is accepted in your current CCAF catalog. Check CCAF Student Services through AFVEC (then check the Transfer Credit -> Civilian Course Conversion menu) or talk to your local ed advisor, they also have access to it and can answer questions. For example, it looks like the intro business CLEP is NOT acceptable as CCAF credit because it is a business class. However, the management CLEP or principles of supervision DSST may be accepted.

No, CCAF does not help you test for staff. Testing for promotion is based on your tech training (SKT which is based on your CDCs) and supervisory training (which you get through PME and studying the PDG). What the CCAF does is fill a block required for promotion to master sergeant. It also opens you up for special duty selection. I believe their current threshold for DSD selection is requiring applicants have completed at least 52 hours towards their degree. If you want to move into a special duty position (MTI/MTL, PME instructor, recruiter, Honor Guard, first sergeant, etc) it is a requirement to have your CCAF or be within a couple of classes of completing it. Conversely, if you do not want to be selected for one, you can procrastinate on your CCAF, if you are willing to deal with some grumbling from your chain. You don't need to have a complete CCAF to transfer through AU-ABC or any other transfer program -- schools transfer in courses not degrees, so if you have say 45 credits complete you can transfer in 45 credits towards your bachelor's degree. (assuming the school accepts all of them of course)

I've never heard of having a CCAF degree helping with a commissioning package, but it may be considered as evidence you are committed to complying with AF expectations as laid out in the brown book. So it may well be a plus, and it is practically a given that you will have enough valid credits to complete it if you are completing a bachelor's, so it certainly won't hurt. Your ed advisors can best assist you in that area.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free Online CLEP Training Alpha 2 1,862 01-12-2021, 06:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Free CLEP Score Send Question TheMaskedMutant 4 2,298 01-17-2019, 06:12 AM
Last Post: TheMaskedMutant
  Free Challenge Exams? Marcus Aurelius 4 2,960 08-08-2018, 08:14 AM
Last Post: rach03
  Principle of Marketing CLEP Lyle912 1 1,947 04-08-2018, 12:33 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study resources for clep preppyboy 4 2,761 04-28-2017, 12:21 PM
Last Post: zapproximator
  Free DSST Retake jmeitrem 6 3,045 03-22-2017, 05:05 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  PETERSON'S DSST PRACTICE TESTS OFFER (Military) UNTIL MARCH 31, 2016 fsmaine0020 0 2,296 03-09-2016, 08:12 PM
Last Post: fsmaine0020
  Comex systems CLEP NYCMIA777 1 1,482 06-24-2015, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Post 9/11 GI Bill and Excelsior College Exams Leherself 9 3,623 04-09-2015, 07:07 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  CLEP/DSST credits for advanced enlistment? Arm4L1t3 10 3,098 09-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Arm4L1t3