Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern States Announcement
(08-11-2017, 12:41 AM)sanantone Wrote: AP courses aren't easy to take if you aren't in high school. Plus, they're lower level credits. Oh, well.

I agree - and most people are taking the courses already. So it's really just an additional way to study for the exam.

I don't think this is nearly as useful as DSST would have been.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-11-2017, 12:43 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(08-11-2017, 12:41 AM)sanantone Wrote: AP courses aren't easy to take if you aren't in high school. Plus, they're lower level credits. Oh, well.

I agree - and most people are taking the courses already.  So it's really just an additional way to study for the exam.

I don't think this is nearly as useful as DSST would have been.

I edited my post. I had some errors in there.  Tongue
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(08-11-2017, 12:41 AM)sanantone Wrote: AP tests aren't easy to take if you aren't in high school, and AP classes are better preparation than anything Modern States can put together. Plus, AP tests are lower level credits, and a lot of them overlap CLEPs. Oh, well. They must have some kind of thing going with College Board.

I can't quite figure out how they decided to do certain CLEP and then certain AP. Like, it makes sense to do overlapping courses, because the material is already there (Biology, Calculus, English Lit, Psych, Macroecon, Microecon, Spanish). But then, they didn't do other overlapping ones (Am Govt, Chemistry, French, US History CLEP's but not AP). And they did totally separate AP exams that don't correspond to CLEP (CompSci, Environmental Science, Human Geography, Italian).

I'm wondering if they created their own CLEP courses, but then saw that there were already courses out there for these AP exams from instructors (possibly MOOC's) and they are picking the low-hanging fruit? And they will add more as they come? Hard to figure out their strategy.

Either way, I'm happy that they exist though. Not complaining, as much as curious about what's going on over there.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-11-2017, 11:07 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(08-11-2017, 12:41 AM)sanantone Wrote: AP tests aren't easy to take if you aren't in high school, and AP classes are better preparation than anything Modern States can put together. Plus, AP tests are lower level credits, and a lot of them overlap CLEPs. Oh, well. They must have some kind of thing going with College Board.

I can't quite figure out how they decided to do certain CLEP and then certain AP. Like, it makes sense to do overlapping courses, because the material is already there (Biology, Calculus, English Lit, Psych, Macroecon, Microecon, Spanish). But then, they didn't do other overlapping ones (Am Govt, Chemistry, French, US History CLEP's but not AP). And they did totally separate AP exams that don't correspond to CLEP (CompSci, Environmental Science, Human Geography, Italian).

I'm wondering if they created their own CLEP courses, but then saw that there were already courses out there for these AP exams from instructors (possibly MOOC's) and they are picking the low-hanging fruit? And they will add more as they come? Hard to figure out their strategy.

Either way, I'm happy that they exist though. Not complaining, as much as curious about what's going on over there.

I'm only guessing, but there are 2.6 million AP test-takers per year, compared to only 55,000 DSST test takers - I think they are wise serving the bigger group. I'm also pretty excited about the AP classes, simply because a lot of homeschool parents prefer AP for admissions *as opposed to credit* and it's very hard to find AP curriculum as a homeschooler....unless you have tons of money lol. https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/di...t-2016.pdf
(08-11-2017, 11:47 AM)cookderosa Wrote:

I'm only guessing, but there are 2.6 million AP test-takers per year, compared to only 55,000 DSST test takers - I think they are wise serving the bigger group. I'm also pretty excited about the AP classes, simply because a lot of homeschool parents prefer AP for admissions *as opposed to credit* and it's very hard to find AP curriculum as a homeschooler....unless you have tons of money lol. https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/di...t-2016.pdf

I get that AP curriculum is harder to find - but also know that it can be harder to actually take the AP exams, since schools do not have to allow non-students to take the exams on their campus.

I bet you that 99.9% of AP test takers will have no use for Modern States. There are already more well-known test prep companies on top of the fact that the overwhelming majority of AP test takers have access to AP classes. I believe poor students can get fee waivers now. I can't remember.

It's a cool charity, but one of their target groups is adult learners, and they aren't going to take AP tests in large numbers. It's too difficult to find a school that will let you sit for an exam, and the exams are only offered at certain times of the year. I would be curious to know how many AP vouchers they'll end up giving out. I suspect that many, if not most, of their students will be adult learners from this forum. We have a tendency to inundate everyone as evidenced by what CSU Global told me twice.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(08-11-2017, 06:33 PM)sanantone Wrote:

I bet you that 99.9% of AP test takers will have no use for Modern States. There are already more well-known test prep companies on top of the fact that the overwhelming majority of AP test takers have access to AP classes. I believe poor students can get fee waivers now. I can't remember.

It's a cool charity, but one of their target groups is adult learners, and they aren't going to take AP tests in large numbers. It's too difficult to find a school that will let you sit for an exam, and the exams are only offered at certain times of the year. I would be curious to know how many AP vouchers they'll end up giving out. I suspect that many, if not most, of their students will be adult learners from this forum. We have a tendency to inundate everyone as evidenced by what CSU Global told me twice.

It could very well be that the 10,000 vouchers will be gone before the March deadline to register for AP exams.

(08-11-2017, 09:44 PM)cathgrl Wrote:

It could very well be that the 10,000 vouchers will be gone before the March deadline to register for AP exams. I wonder how many were used during beta.

I can't quite figure out how they decided to do certain CLEP and then certain AP.  Like, it makes sense to do overlapping courses, because the material is already there (Biology, Calculus, English Lit, Psych, Macroecon, Microecon, Spanish).  But then, they didn't do other overlapping ones (Am Govt, Chemistry, French, US History CLEP's but not AP).  And they did totally separate AP exams that don't correspond to CLEP (CompSci, Environmental Science, Human Geography, Italian).

I'm wondering if they created their own CLEP courses, but then saw that there were already courses out there for these AP exams from instructors (possibly MOOC's) and they are picking the low-hanging fruit?  And they will add more as they come?  Hard to figure out their strategy.

Either way, I'm happy that they exist though.  Not complaining, as much as curious about what's going on over there.

I'm only guessing, but there are 2.6 million AP test-takers per year, compared to only 55,000 DSST test takers - I think they are wise serving the bigger group. I'm also pretty excited about the AP classes, simply because a lot of homeschool parents prefer AP for admissions *as opposed to credit* and it's very hard to find AP curriculum as a homeschooler....unless you have tons of money lol.   https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/di...t-2016.pdf

It could very well be that the 10,000 vouchers will be gone before the March deadline to register for AP exams.

(08-11-2017, 11:07 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I can't quite figure out how they decided to do certain CLEP and then certain AP.  Like, it makes sense to do overlapping courses, because the material is already there (Biology, Calculus, English Lit, Psych, Macroecon, Microecon, Spanish).  But then, they didn't do other overlapping ones (Am Govt, Chemistry, French, US History CLEP's but not AP).  And they did totally separate AP exams that don't correspond to CLEP (CompSci, Environmental Science, Human Geography, Italian).

I'm wondering if they created their own CLEP courses, but then saw that there were already courses out there for these AP exams from instructors (possibly MOOC's) and they are picking the low-hanging fruit?  And they will add more as they come?  Hard to figure out their strategy.

Either way, I'm happy that they exist though.  Not complaining, as much as curious about what's going on over there.

I'm only guessing, but there are 2.6 million AP test-takers per year, compared to only 55,000 DSST test takers - I think they are wise serving the bigger group. I'm also pretty excited about the AP classes, simply because a lot of homeschool parents prefer AP for admissions *as opposed to credit* and it's very hard to find AP curriculum as a homeschooler....unless you have tons of money lol.   https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/di...t-2016.pdf

It could very well be that the 10,000 vouchers will be gone before the March deadline to register for AP exams. I wonder how many were used during beta.

That's a good point. Most of the vouchers could be gone before anyone gets a chance to take an AP test unless Modern States plans on purchasing more or has reserved vouchers for AP tests.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I wonder if the AP courses have undergone the College Board audit process so that they could be listed as AP classes on a homeschool transcript.
I don't think modern states is going to be a short term deal sounds like from one of the articles I read on their website that their goal is wanting to reach 1 million students sounds like they have a minimum of 1 billion dollars to give away and there's probably even more than that. One of the guys behind modern states was a hedge fund manager so the money they are using for this is probably all invested until they actually need it. Plus it sounds like they are looking for other philanthropists to carry on the goals of the organization

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Modern States announces additional funding, continued CLEP vouchers jsd 8 1,876 02-08-2021, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Brand new - looking for courses similar to Modern States kevie 14 2,868 02-18-2020, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Giantzebra
  Modern States Time natshar 9 3,026 09-18-2019, 02:32 PM
Last Post: tendrils
  modern states courses and Saylor tests or study.com? gingermama 6 1,943 07-17-2019, 05:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Modern States If You Fail CLEP nosey561 4 2,273 04-12-2019, 11:24 AM
Last Post: mysonx3
  Modern States almost out of vouchers? mysonx3 42 7,545 10-22-2018, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Doodlebabe
  Modern States voucher question magflo 7 1,460 09-29-2018, 07:52 PM
Last Post: magflo
Thumbs Up Big announcement - ALEKS got extended mvk 37 6,410 05-01-2018, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Nodaclu
  Modern States rlw74 4 2,287 03-21-2018, 11:05 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Modern States Question collegechick 8 1,996 01-30-2018, 02:22 PM
Last Post: collegechick