Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easy study.com course?
So, I finally took the Personal Finance proctored test. We were on vacation with my kids, and I didn't realize how hard it would be to find a computer, internet connection, and a quiet room... I was surprised that there are still some parts of America that are not particularly internet friendly!! I was able to do the quizzes on my phone - their app is really nice - but it took me almost two weeks to find a place to take the test.

Anyway, I'm a bit less impressed now that I took the final test. The questions were much easier than the quiz questions - I guess because it's closed book and comprehensive - but still, I thought it was a bit too easy, but I guess that's all for the good. The course itself was interesting, and I did learn a lot, so I can't complain about that.

So... I spoke to some of my friends, and one of my friends felt that it would be silly to take psychology or history courses if they are unrelated to my degree, and if I'm majoring in business, I should use this opportunity to learn some more about business. Considering how easy these courses seem to be anyway, I don't know if it matters what the subject is, it's just a matter of time and how many lessons/quizzes each course has anyway. 

If anyone here has taken business courses - do you think it would be worth it? Would I learn anything useful? Is there any course in particular that would have an application in the real world?

Thanks everyone!
Goal: BSBA in Accounting through TESU, 150 credits, Credits so far: 137/150
Received: A.S. in Business Administration, Aug. 2016

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
TECEP: Strategic Management Capstone (72)
Aleks: Statistics (71!)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
The Institutes: (76)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
Study.com:  Costing, ?
Saylor: Intro to political Science?, Management Info. Systems?
TEEX
(08-23-2017, 07:45 AM)sarg123 Wrote: So, I finally took the Personal Finance proctored test. Anyway, I'm a bit less impressed now that I took the final test. The questions were much easier than the quiz questions - I guess because it's closed book and comprehensive - but still, I thought it was a bit too easy, but I guess that's all for the good. The course itself was interesting, and I did learn a lot, so I can't complain about that.

So... I spoke to some of my friends, and one of my friends felt that it would be silly to take psychology or history courses if they are unrelated to my degree, and if I'm majoring in business, I should use this opportunity to learn some more about business. Considering how easy these courses seem to be anyway, I don't know if it matters what the subject is, it's just a matter of time and how many lessons/quizzes each course has anyway. 

I've heard that Personal Finance is one of the easiest courses there, so I wouldn't judge all courses by it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-15-2017, 10:32 AM)rlw74 Wrote: I personally found study.com to be easier than everything else I tried. I have kids and lot of activities but with the app you can watch or read all the videos and take quizzes on your mobile device. I could usually squeeze in lessons while at a soccer practice or while at the playground. I even went for a five mile walk and took headphones and just listened to the lessons while I was walking. Then every so often I would take a break and fly through the quizzes.

I agree!! I was sitting at the playground and taking quizzes on my phone app while my kids were playing. Really nice to be able to do that! (And yes, I was really watching them, also). One of the nice things about the short lessons is that I could squeeze in a lesson almost anywhere, and still be available for my kids when they needed me.

(08-23-2017, 09:52 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 07:45 AM)sarg123 Wrote: So, I finally took the Personal Finance proctored test. Anyway, I'm a bit less impressed now that I took the final test. The questions were much easier than the quiz questions - I guess because it's closed book and comprehensive - but still, I thought it was a bit too easy, but I guess that's all for the good. The course itself was interesting, and I did learn a lot, so I can't complain about that.

I've heard that Personal Finance is one of the easiest courses there, so I wouldn't judge all courses by it.

Ok, but I still think the format is nice, and I'm ready to try some Business courses. 

I'm looking over the syllabi... all the lower level courses only have quizzes and a final test, but the upper level courses all seem to have one or more projects that have to be completed. So, unless I need an upper level course for some reason, I think I'll stick to lower level for now.

I'm also going to use my study.com membership to brush up on accounting basics, that way I'll be a bit ahead when I start my online classes in September (I hope). I think it's really nice that I can do this while on the scholarship. 

Back to my courses - any suggestions for business courses that would be actually helpful to me, or relevant in real life? 

One more question - I did Intro to Computers through Davar, which came in as COS-101. Can I now do a computer course through study.com that comes in as CIS-102? Would TESU give me credit for both? 

I really, really appreciate all of you for taking the time to help me out with this! Thanks so much!
Goal: BSBA in Accounting through TESU, 150 credits, Credits so far: 137/150
Received: A.S. in Business Administration, Aug. 2016

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
TECEP: Strategic Management Capstone (72)
Aleks: Statistics (71!)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
The Institutes: (76)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
Study.com:  Costing, ?
Saylor: Intro to political Science?, Management Info. Systems?
TEEX
(08-11-2017, 12:02 AM)dfrecore Wrote: You could definitely use it to add the HRM concentration (all of these will work):

BUS 106: Human Resource Management >> MAN-331
BUS 306: Strategic Human Resources Management >> HRM-362
BUS 107: Organizational Behavior >> MAN-311
BUS 105: Labor Relations >> LAS-321
BUS 314: Employment Law >> LAS-100
BUS 311: Project Management >> MAN-435

Then you would just need Org Theory from CSU-Global.

You could also add a Gen Mgmt concentration:
any of above courses
BUS 121: Intro to Entrepreneurship
BUS 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising
BUS 312: Advanced Operations Management
BUS 315: Logistics and Supply Chain Management
MARK 301: Marketing Research

Wow.. Study.com sounds pretty great. I just got the email for the Guardian scholarship so I will finish personal finance and then finish the other 5 courses I get for free before my 3 months expire. Also, once I transfer my ACE transcript over to TESU they will give me the $1,800 residency waiver price?

So can I really take a whole AOS from study.com??? I still need a bit of my Gen Eds filled but if I can knock out General Management classes then I'm TOTALLY going to do that! Lol
(08-30-2017, 11:48 AM)kalyway Wrote: Wow.. Study.com sounds pretty great. I just got the email for the Guardian scholarship so I will finish personal finance and then finish the other 5 courses I get for free before my 3 months expire. Also, once I transfer my ACE transcript over to TESU they will give me the $1,800 residency waiver price?

So can I really take a whole AOS from study.com??? I still need a bit of my Gen Eds filled but if I can knock out General Management classes then I'm TOTALLY going to do that! Lol

Actually, no need to wait for your transcript. You can and should let TESU know that you are a Study.com member now. That way you can get the cornerstone waived and get the discount pricing on any courses (like the Capstone) you might take.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(08-30-2017, 05:18 PM)davewill Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 11:48 AM)kalyway Wrote: Wow.. Study.com sounds pretty great. I just got the email for the Guardian scholarship so I will finish personal finance and then finish the other 5 courses I get for free before my 3 months expire. Also, once I transfer my ACE transcript over to TESU they will give me the $1,800 residency waiver price?

Actually, no need to wait for your transcript. You can and should let TESU know that you are a Study.com member now. That way you can get the cornerstone waived and get the discount pricing on any courses (like the Capstone) you might take.

Emailed them and just got a response today saying the discount was added to my student records. Thank you for the advice!!! Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,368 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,490 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,750 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 608 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 969 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,815 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 552 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 279 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 684 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM