Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
93 yo getting Bachelor's in history, events he lived through, honorary doctorate
Wow, his long and hard journey to getting his degree!

Quote:Mr. Mann, who is 94 and received a bachelor’s degree in history last year from Mount St. Mary College in Newburgh, N.Y., agreed that when it comes to being old as opposed to feeling old, the numbers don’t always add up the same.

Quote:Last year, Mr. Mann became the oldest person to graduate from Mount St.Mary College. The college also awarded him an honorary doctorate this past May. At 93, he drove 80 miles round trip twice a week for nearly two and a half years to accrue the 30 credits needed to obtain a degree he had started working on in his 70s, while he owned another home in Tequesta, Fla. He racked up 60 credits at nearby Palm Beach State College, and 30 more at Florida Atlantic University, before finishing up at Mount St. Mary.

“We studied many historical events like World War II and the Vietnam and Korean Wars, but this was stuff I had actually lived through,” Mr. Mann said. “No wonder I aced most of my exams.”

He just got married. I saw this in https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/11/fashi...dding.html and there may be other articles about him. This article is about the marriage, but also about each of their accomplishments. 

Good for him! Wait, am I the only person thinking there is something wrong with this story? Why was he taking U.S. History? He should have been teaching U.S. History!

Years ago there was a story about an elderly student taking U.S. History. When they got to the part about the Dust Bowl, she described what it was like living through it. As I previously posted, I thought U.S. History 2 CLEP test was easier than the U.S. History 1 CLEP test. Conventional wisdom says History 1 is easier than History 2. In my case, I remembered events on the History 2 test. Who was my History 2 teacher? Walter Cronkite in black and white! (Young readers, find someone with gray hair to explain this to you.)

I also previously quoted Ronald Reagan "Thomas Jefferson once said, 'We should never judge a president by his age, only by his works.' And ever since he told me that, I stopped worrying."

So, fellow older students, what are we going to do when we are even older? Video teaching will be even more prevalent. Shall we band together and teach U.S. History online? I've also thought about enrolling in a brick and mortar U.S. History class when I'm 95 or 100. "That's not exactly how it happened..."
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
[-] The following 1 user Likes clep3705's post:
  • Bibby
There are people my age who I wouldn't trust to teach history 60 years in the future because they don't even know what's going on now.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 3 users Like sanantone's post:
  • bellbaby, hsfamfun, mc.christi
(08-13-2017, 04:07 AM)sanantone Wrote: There are people my age who I wouldn't trust to teach history 60 years in the future because they don't even know what's going on now.

TRUE THAT!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  Metropolia Transition to Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology aleksa 10 1,440 11-09-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: aleksa
  Do extended level 6 diploma's from the UK get evaluated as Bachelor degrees in the US Pinko64 3 556 11-02-2023, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Pinko64
  I'm getting another Bachelor's degree nomaduser 21 1,890 10-20-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  These associate degree majors lead to higher incomes than a 4-year bachelor's. LevelUP 4 559 10-07-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,088 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 3,873 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  Guy Has Either 33 or 108 Doctorate Degrees (Allegedly) RbxFunRocks 61 6,605 09-01-2023, 08:23 PM