Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does Financial Aid work if trying to get a degree from TESU??
Just curious if this financial aid would be an option or worth applying for.
You can only get financial aid if you actually take a real class.
Goal: BSBA in Accounting through TESU, 150 credits, Credits so far: 137/150
Received: A.S. in Business Administration, Aug. 2016

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
TECEP: Strategic Management Capstone (72)
Aleks: Statistics (71!)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
The Institutes: (76)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
Study.com:  Costing, ?
Saylor: Intro to political Science?, Management Info. Systems?
TEEX
(08-12-2017, 12:05 PM)David.Hamad Wrote: Just curious if this financial aid would be an option or worth applying for.

as mentioned, if you're going to take TESU courses, you can apply for financial aid like any regular student. I had a dilemma of sorts when I earned my BA because I qualified for a Pell Grant (gift, not to be repaid) if I enrolled full time. Initially, I wanted to take courses in my major, so that was fine, but I wasn't sure that I wanted to take that many. In the end, I did enroll full time, but you'd have to do the math and see if it's going to be a good value. It is possible (and not smart) to go deeply into debt using financial aid at TESU.

A Pell Grant is awarded to those with financial need, and is close to $6000ish depending.

If you did comprehensive - that allows you to take up to 36 credits. As an out of state student, you're looking at about $10,000. If you qualified for a Pell (you might not) then you'd have about $4000 left to pay on top. Either cash, employer reimbursement, or by loan.

If you did per-credit, and did full time, you could get away with only taking 30 credits and no residency waiver. But that's closer to $15,000. After Pell, you're still at about $9,000 to pay out of pocket.

I don't know for 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure that the Pell is still distributed according to what would be your payment plan. http://www.tesu.edu/tuition/payment-plan.cfm

So, using rounded numbers and the payment plan breakdown, if you did the comprehensive plan, you'd have 3 equal payments of about $3300 (minus 1/3 of your pell award- about $2000) for a cash due of $1300 (three times).

The issue, and what was my dilemma too, is that to get the full Pell, you have to stay full time. If you reduce your enrollment, your Pell goes down.

In the end, I was happy to have taken courses in my major, but tuition was cheaper then. It did help me earn a nice GPA for grad school applications, and I did not have to go into debt. Those would all still be factors I'd consider if I were doing it again today.
The study.com discount gets you in state pricing on comprehensive tuition.

http://www.tesu.edu/studycom/#faq_1502643698414_3752
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • cookderosa, rebel100
If I don't pass the SM TECEP next week, I'll be enrolling in the regular capstone course...does anyone know what I would be paying with Pell out-of-pocket and Study.com pricing? I assume it would be around 500ish but I don't know how much Pell will cover for just 3 credits. Anyone got experience with this?
My journey to TESU BSBA-GM
The Institutes (2cr): Business Ethics
Liberty University (27cr): INFT, International Business, Apologetics, Microeconomics, Biology, Non-Profit Management, Financial Acct., Computer Apps, Managerial Acct.
Liberty University MOOC (3cr): US Hist
Study.com (39cr): American Government, Environmental Science, Sociology, Psychology, Labor Relations, Marketing with Electronic Media, Principles of Finance, Business Communications, HR Management, Civil War/Reconstruction, History of Vietnam War, Personal Finance, Introduction to Marketing
Straighterline (39cr): Western Civ II, Financial Accounting, Cultural Anthropology, AmHist I, AmHist II, Intro to Religion, Business Statistics, Principles of Management, English II, Business Law, Intro to Comm, Org. Behavior, Macroeconomics
ALEKS (3cr): College Algebra
TEEX (2cr): Cyber Security for Business Professionals
TESU (3cr): Strategic Management TECEP
UExcel (3cr): English 101
(08-13-2017, 02:10 PM)Gymfan15 Wrote: If I don't pass the SM TECEP next week, I'll be enrolling in the regular capstone course...does anyone know what I would be paying with Pell out-of-pocket and Study.com pricing? I assume it would be around 500ish but I don't know how much Pell will cover for just 3 credits. Anyone got experience with this?
$1098 for the tuition. I think you have to be at least half time to use financial aid.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(08-13-2017, 02:10 PM)Gymfan15 Wrote: If I don't pass the SM TECEP next week, I'll be enrolling in the regular capstone course...does anyone know what I would be paying with Pell out-of-pocket and Study.com pricing? I assume it would be around 500ish but I don't know how much Pell will cover for just 3 credits. Anyone got experience with this?

You have to fill out the FASFA before TESU will give you an award. That award will be based, in part, on how many credits you're taking. Full time enrollment gets the full $6000ish, so part time enrollment would get roughly half of that - but it's divided by each term. Without looking, I can't remember if TESU has 4 or 3 terms per year, but it would be $3000ish divided by number of terms = per term allocation. There will always be an out of pocket amount (plus books) no matter how many credits you take or how much Pell you get.
At one point I was thinking of taking online classes through tesu, so I applied and the FAFSA was posted to my account. I think they divide it by four terms, so you would get about 1500 per term, but that's if you take two courses each term. I don't know if you can gert FAFSA for only one class, I would doubt it.

Obviously, Pell does not cover the entire cost of the course, but it does cover a decent amount, and the best part is that it's a grant, not a loan, so you don't have to pay it back.

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
TEEX
[-] The following 2 users Like sarg123's post:
  • cookderosa, Synicaal
(08-13-2017, 07:42 PM)davewill Wrote:
$1098 for the tuition. I think you have to be at least half time to use financial aid.

Is that TESU's policy? Because last semester I only took one class through my old school (Liberty) and I got Pell of $727. So I was hoping I could get the same for TESU if I do have to take the course this fall. And I've already for FAFSA set up for TESU, just in case.
My journey to TESU BSBA-GM
The Institutes (2cr): Business Ethics
Liberty University (27cr): INFT, International Business, Apologetics, Microeconomics, Biology, Non-Profit Management, Financial Acct., Computer Apps, Managerial Acct.
Liberty University MOOC (3cr): US Hist
Study.com (39cr): American Government, Environmental Science, Sociology, Psychology, Labor Relations, Marketing with Electronic Media, Principles of Finance, Business Communications, HR Management, Civil War/Reconstruction, History of Vietnam War, Personal Finance, Introduction to Marketing
Straighterline (39cr): Western Civ II, Financial Accounting, Cultural Anthropology, AmHist I, AmHist II, Intro to Religion, Business Statistics, Principles of Management, English II, Business Law, Intro to Comm, Org. Behavior, Macroeconomics
ALEKS (3cr): College Algebra
TEEX (2cr): Cyber Security for Business Professionals
TESU (3cr): Strategic Management TECEP
UExcel (3cr): English 101
I didn't know that you could get FAFSA for only one class. Can you please let us know if it works? That would be really helpful for me if that's the case.

Tests taken so far:

Up ahead:
TEEX

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,011 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,678 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,227 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,134 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,670 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,747 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,365 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,611 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,340 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,398 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic