Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does Financial Aid work if trying to get a degree from TESU??
If you've got that list, I'd be interested...hey, maybe I can get the most bang for my buck and take the capstone and a 6cr course for less than the price of taking the capstone without aid? :p But I dunno if there would be any courses that would fit within my degree plan...I'm mainly looking for stuff that I could use as gen ed electives.
My journey to TESU BSBA-GM
The Institutes (2cr): Business Ethics
Liberty University (27cr): INFT, International Business, Apologetics, Microeconomics, Biology, Non-Profit Management, Financial Acct., Computer Apps, Managerial Acct.
Liberty University MOOC (3cr): US Hist
Study.com (39cr): American Government, Environmental Science, Sociology, Psychology, Labor Relations, Marketing with Electronic Media, Principles of Finance, Business Communications, HR Management, Civil War/Reconstruction, History of Vietnam War, Personal Finance, Introduction to Marketing
Straighterline (39cr): Western Civ II, Financial Accounting, Cultural Anthropology, AmHist I, AmHist II, Intro to Religion, Business Statistics, Principles of Management, English II, Business Law, Intro to Comm, Org. Behavior, Macroeconomics
ALEKS (3cr): College Algebra
TEEX (2cr): Cyber Security for Business Professionals
TESU (3cr): Strategic Management TECEP
UExcel (3cr): English 101
(08-17-2017, 11:03 AM)Gymfan15 Wrote: If you've got that list, I'd be interested...hey, maybe I can get the most bang for my buck and take the capstone and a 6cr course for less than the price of taking the capstone without aid? :p But I dunno if there would be any courses that would fit within my degree plan...I'm mainly looking for stuff that I could use as gen ed electives.

I think the list was lost in the transfer to the new platform- but YOU can make the list and share it with me Wink There are probably around a dozen. Just click on each class to see how many credits - copy the ones for 6 into a doc and post. Here's where they are: http://www2.tesu.edu/listall.php
Quick question. If you are going with the comprehensive tuition plan and you are taking 5 classes and 4 teceps over two terms does anyone know how the financial aid would work if going with the loan option? Do teceps count if you go with the comprehensive tuition rate? Or does it only include the actual courses?
Financial aid (Pell Grants) in TESU covers two classes a term. So you get around 1400 a term - which doesn't cover the whole thing. I think that you can take out government loans (if you're eligible) if you take either one or two classes a term, and the amount depends on a lot of different factors.

I would assume that if you take five classes in two terms, you would only get aid for four classes.

Also, TECEPs don't count towards financial aid at all, but they are included if you pay for the comprehensive plan.
Goal: BSBA in Accounting through TESU, 150 credits, Credits so far: 137/150
Received: A.S. in Business Administration, Aug. 2016

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
TECEP: Strategic Management Capstone (72)
Aleks: Statistics (71!)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
The Institutes: (76)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
Study.com:  Costing, ?
Saylor: Intro to political Science?, Management Info. Systems?
TEEX
Just to clarify to be sure I understand...

--If you qualify based on your FAFSA, you can potentially get $6000 per year for use toward tuition. At a regular semester school, this is about $3000 per term.

--You must be a full-time enrolled student at that school.

--If the school is TESU, you could use that money to take 6cr of classes and this = full-time? The grant would not cover all expenses but it may go a long way toward it.

--If the school is XYZ local state school, you have to be accepted and enrolled, and full-time status is more like 12cr per semester, is it not? Which means that same $3000 per term hardly covers anything...?
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
I'm fairly certain that the at-least-half-time requirement is federal. You have to stay at least half time (6 credits/semester) to qualify for federal aid. BUT some online programs use unconventional pacing, and not a classic semester breakdown. Ashford, for example, does classes one at a time, over only 5 weeks each, and I'm told that's considered a full-time schedule. So it could be that Liberty's online program has some more condensed classes like that.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
As I understand, from my personal experience...

You get awarded a certain amount of aid. That aid is divided up evenly among your school's terms, so if you're eligible for 5k a year, you get about 2.5k per semester IF you are full-time.

A lot of private schools like TESU have course fees so high that even if you get the full aid amount you can't cover the whole cost, but if you take cheaper CC courses, you often get to TAKE money home because the amount of your aid exceeds the cost of your tuition. You can then put that money towards books or other things, I think.
My journey to TESU BSBA-GM
The Institutes (2cr): Business Ethics
Liberty University (27cr): INFT, International Business, Apologetics, Microeconomics, Biology, Non-Profit Management, Financial Acct., Computer Apps, Managerial Acct.
Liberty University MOOC (3cr): US Hist
Study.com (39cr): American Government, Environmental Science, Sociology, Psychology, Labor Relations, Marketing with Electronic Media, Principles of Finance, Business Communications, HR Management, Civil War/Reconstruction, History of Vietnam War, Personal Finance, Introduction to Marketing
Straighterline (39cr): Western Civ II, Financial Accounting, Cultural Anthropology, AmHist I, AmHist II, Intro to Religion, Business Statistics, Principles of Management, English II, Business Law, Intro to Comm, Org. Behavior, Macroeconomics
ALEKS (3cr): College Algebra
TEEX (2cr): Cyber Security for Business Professionals
TESU (3cr): Strategic Management TECEP
UExcel (3cr): English 101
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gymfan15's post:
  • a2jc4life
I do know that a number of people here handled financial aid by doing a full-time semester/year at a CC, which didn't use all of the award, then using the leftover aid on either alternative credit or more classes.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Hmmm, so she could take say 9cr at our local cc which would cost $765 not incl books, and use the rest of that theoretical $3000 toward books and other online classes? Or pocket that toward TESU’s fees?

I see that she could potentially take almost all her credits then at a cc which would leave upper level courses. She hoped to take those locally here at the extension college perhaps. I’ll have to go see what their courses cost per hour. My concern with them is that they will require enrollment but perhaps that’s not that big of a deal.

The reason I’m thinking all this through is A. the priority that she have no debt for her bachelors, B. taking some upper level classes locally where she can have the solid classroom experience with other people majoring in what she also loves and under hopefully good professor/mentors, and C. Still getting her degree from TESU which has a few more flexible requirements than our local schools, and. D. She does hope to go to graduate school so a gpa in those upper level courses locally would be beneficial.
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
(10-03-2017, 02:39 PM)originalamyj Wrote: Hmmm, so she could take say 9cr at our local cc which would cost $765 not incl books, and use the rest of that theoretical $3000 toward books and other online classes? Or pocket that toward TESU’s fees?

I see that she could potentially take almost all her credits then at a cc which would leave upper level courses. She hoped to take those locally here at the extension college perhaps. I’ll have to go see what their courses cost per hour. My concern with them is that they will require enrollment but perhaps that’s not that big of a deal.

The reason I’m thinking all this through is A. the priority that she have no debt for her bachelors, B. taking some upper level classes locally where she can have the solid classroom experience with other people majoring in what she also loves and under hopefully good professor/mentors, and C. Still getting her degree from TESU which has a few more flexible requirements than our local schools, and. D. She does hope to go to graduate school so a gpa in those upper level courses locally would be beneficial.

9 credits isn't full-time. 12 credits per semester or 6 months is full-time. Unless there is a consortium agreement, only the credits taken at the school for which you're receiving financial aid will count.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,975 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,659 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,201 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,102 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,637 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,729 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,341 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,586 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,321 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,373 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic