Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sourcing References for First Job?
I was under the impression they specifically said the reference can not be familial. Forgive me if that is incorrect.

But if you use a familial reference and hide the fact that it's familial when they've stated you can't use them, then yes that's a lie. It's not a grey area type thing, it's just a lie.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Yes, they specifically don't want any familial references, so I wouldn't want to go that route. A friend agreed to be a reference, so it all works out. I originally asked the question on here looking for ideas of someone who wasn't a friend, more like an acquaintance. A sports contact is a good idea, except that I've moved and long lost contact with those folks. Thanks for weighing in!

(08-14-2017, 05:57 PM)sanantone Wrote: The whole reference check thing is absolutely stupid. I think I read somewhere that it was only 20% accurate in predicting future job performance. Who is going to choose someone who is going to give them a bad reference?

I totally agree that this method of references is so outdated.
BSBA Accounting at TESU - 121/121
Graduated June 2018!
I believe someone you volunteered under would be fine, even if they don't have some official record that you volunteered there.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • keepsingin
(08-15-2017, 01:21 PM)keepsingin Wrote: Yes, they specifically don't want any familial references, so I wouldn't want to go that route. A friend agreed to be a reference, so it all works out. I originally asked the question on here looking for ideas of someone who wasn't a friend, more like an acquaintance. A sports contact is a good idea, except that I've moved and long lost contact with those folks. Thanks for weighing in!

(08-14-2017, 05:57 PM)sanantone Wrote: The whole reference check thing is absolutely stupid. I think I read somewhere that it was only 20% accurate in predicting future job performance. Who is going to choose someone who is going to give them a bad reference?

I totally agree that this method of references is so outdated.

Thanks for the clarification. Since familial references are not allowed, then it would be lying to list your mother under her maiden name.

A lot of internships are competitive. If they ask for two references and you only submit one, then your application will be thrown in the trash. They'll have plenty of other applicants to choose from. Even if the position is not competitive, your application could still end up in the trash because you've demonstrated that you can't follow directions and meet basic requirements.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(08-15-2017, 04:38 PM)sanantone Wrote: Thanks for the clarification. Since familial references are not allowed, then it would be lying to list your mother under her maiden name.

A lot of internships are competitive. If they ask for two references and you only submit one, then your application will be thrown in the trash. They'll have plenty of other applicants to choose from. Even if the position is not competitive, your application could still end up in the trash because you've demonstrated that you can't follow directions and meet basic requirements.

Exactly; after I submitted the references, I received a reply immediately within two minutes with details for the 2nd interview. Especially for an internship, it makes sense that the references are more about meeting specifications and following directions.
BSBA Accounting at TESU - 121/121
Graduated June 2018!
The initial post did not state specifically that a family member could not be a reference. The issue seemed to be the poster's mom was also his home school administrator. My response was a way for his mom to be a reference as an educator and not as a mom. Just because she serves two roles does not automatically invalidate her input. This is more of an unusual situation due to the homeschooling issue; which does not fit the usual scenarios when seeking input from an academic source.
keepsingin, Glad to hear the issue was resolved and you have your second interview. I ran into the same situation when I first applied for a job as my mom home-schooled as well, my pastor was my dad, and my job experience for 4 years was mainly working on our family farm. I lived so far and remote from any cities that volunteer opportunities were nonexistent at the time. I had no choice but to reference my family in my first resume. There was no restrictions about not doing so and I know that it is best not to use family members for references. I did get the job and now have more connections than I did but I completely understand how hard the whole reference deal can be for homeschoolers sometimes!
CLEP:College Comp. w/essay, A & I Lit. w/essay, College Algebra, US History 1 & 2, Biology, Human Growth & Development   DSST: Foundations of Edu.  TEEX: Cyber Security 101 & 301 Sophia: Developing Effective Teams The Institutes: Ethics & CPCU Prof. Code.

Straighterline: Intro to Religion, Intro to Com., Western Civ. 1& 2, American Gov, PreCalculus, Intro to Bio Lab

Study.com: Personal Finance, Edu. Psychology, Classroom Management, Special Edu. History & Law, Geology, Civil War & Reconstruction, History of the Vietnam War

2018 WGU BA Mathematics Education (5-9 licensure)

Current Work: VIPKID ESL Teacher and Substitute Teacher

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  References Sparklette 8 1,665 03-23-2018, 09:52 AM
Last Post: burbuja0512