Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New User Looking For Bachelors Degree Advice
You can't use D grades in the Area of Study/Major Area, so that will be an issue at TESU. Linear Algebra would not come in, so you'd have to retake that. You could take it somewhere as an UL course, and then you would have all of your UL courses, so that's something to consider if you want a BA in Math.

I would consider the TESU BALS, using your math courses (that you got higher than a D in) in the major, and then supplementing with a few UL Psych or History courses which are very easy to find.

Another option might be the BS in Professional Studies, with EMT/Paramedic studies and/or math as your AOS.

I'm going to second the suggestion that you apply at all of the Big 3 and see what you get.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jbaugh007
(08-21-2017, 02:27 AM)dfrecore Wrote: You can't use D grades in the Area of Study/Major Area, so that will be an issue at TESU.  Linear Algebra would not come in, so you'd have to retake that.  You could take it somewhere as an UL course, and then you would have all of your UL courses, so that's something to consider if you want a BA in Math.

I would consider the TESU BALS, using your math courses (that you got higher than a D in) in the major, and then supplementing with a few UL Psych or History courses which are very easy to find.

Another option might be the BS in Professional Studies, with EMT/Paramedic studies and/or math as your AOS.

I'm going to second the suggestion that you apply at all of the Big 3 and see what you get.

Thank you all for the great information. This is very motivating.  I haven't looked into finishing my degree for years.  I will follow you all's advice and apply at the Big 3.  Prior to doing this, do I need to put together a portfolio or anything?  I have read about these in some places, and would like to have all of my ducks in a row before I start the process.  Also, is there anything else that I need to have prepared prior to applying???
Now that I have ordered all of my transcripts, I am finishing up my applications for the Big 3. When completing the one for Excelsior, it asks if I will be a Multi Source Student or an Excelsior student. If I choose the multi-source, it asks me for $760. I assume that I am a multi-source, based on how I plan on completing my degree. Any input on this?
(09-04-2017, 03:36 PM)jbaugh007 Wrote: Now that I have ordered all of my transcripts, I am finishing up my applications for the Big 3. When completing the one for Excelsior, it asks if I will be a Multi Source Student or an Excelsior student.  If I choose the multi-source, it asks me for $760.  I assume that I am a multi-source, based on how I plan on completing my degree.  Any input on this?

You would be a Multi-source student.

If you choose COSC or EC, you will want to wait to enroll, as they charge per term.

For TESU, you will want to enroll immediately, as they do not charger per term.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
  • jbaugh007
(09-04-2017, 05:19 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(09-04-2017, 03:36 PM)jbaugh007 Wrote: Now that I have ordered all of my transcripts, I am finishing up my applications for the Big 3. When completing the one for Excelsior, it asks if I will be a Multi Source Student or an Excelsior student.  If I choose the multi-source, it asks me for $760.  I assume that I am a multi-source, based on how I plan on completing my degree.  Any input on this?

You would be a Multi-source student.

If you choose COSC or EC, you will want to wait to enroll, as they charge per term.

For TESU, you will want to enroll immediately, as they do not charger per term.

Understood, and thanks for the advice.  I sent my transcripts a couple days ago and I paid the application fee today. I will keep you updated on my progress.
Hello All, 

Thank you all again for your advice.  It has been very helpful and motivating.  I ran into a few issues here and there, but I finally got my first Academic evaluation.  For the math degree I was looking at it would be 19 credits remaining, which included Linear Algebra.  Linear Algebra was hard enough when I was doing math all of the time.  I got a D in it, and I probably studied for that class more than any class in my entire life.  I guess I just didn't get it.  I looked at a BA Liberal Studies, and it looks like only 15 credits to complete (i was told that I could skip the 1 credit cornerstone class). Basically the same credits remaining minus Linear Algebra.  I have attached the academic eval for the BA in Liberal Studies.  I would appreciate it if any trained eye would look and see if there's anything I am missing, or a better option at TESU.  I will update with the evals from the other 2 of the Big 3 when I get them.  Also, I have a couple of other questions.  

1.  If I choose this option, What is my best option for completing the classes I need? TECEP or somewhere else?

2.  Would either of these degrees make any more of a difference if I continue on to a Masters Degree of some sort?

Thanks!!!

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU BA Liberal Studies Academic Eval.xlsx (Size: 16.46 KB / Downloads: 6)
It entirely depends on what master's degree you want to pursue. Most master's programs will have some prerequisites you have to take to be admitted. If you take them, the degree itself is often less important. That said, most of the time there is a small number of bachelor's degrees that most applicants to a program will have, and admission will generally be easier if you have one of them. As an example, if you wanted a master's in Computer Science, most applicants will have a bachelor's in computer science, electrical engineering, math, or some hard science...but if you have the appropriate CS and math coursework (or equivalent work experience) you can get in with almost any degree.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • jbaugh007
(10-05-2017, 10:25 AM)davewill Wrote: It entirely depends on what master's degree you want to pursue. Most master's programs will have some prerequisites you have to take to be admitted. If you take them, the degree itself is often less important. That said, most of the time there is a small number of bachelor's degrees that most applicants will have.

Thanks! Sadly, I haven't gotten that far yet. I'm just trying to figure out my bachelors for now.  I was trying to find out if there are any master's programs that are more DIY like the bachelors degrees often discussed on these forums.
(10-05-2017, 10:10 AM)jbaugh007 Wrote: Hello All, 

I have attached the academic eval for the BA in Liberal Studies.  I would appreciate it if any trained eye would look and see if there's anything I am missing, or a better option at TESU.  I will update with the evals from the other 2 of the Big 3 when I get them.  Also, I have a couple of other questions.  

1.  If I choose this option, What is my best option for completing the classes I need? TECEP or somewhere else?

2.  Would either of these degrees make any more of a difference if I continue on to a Masters Degree of some sort?

Thanks!!!

In looking at your TESU BALS eval: Have you taken Study.com courses?  If not, then you should take at least 2 courses that way.  Then you get the Affiliate Membership discount.

You need to take:
Info Lit - Tech Writing, World Religion, A&I Lit all will work.
Diversity - Sociology or Anthropology will work
Ethics - take the free 2cr Insurance Ethics course
Civic Engagement - American Government or Comparative Politics will work

You can do these in a variety of ways, it just depends on what you prefer.  Study.com, Straighterline, TECEP, CLEP, DSST, etc.

Then the Capstone, and you're done.
  • jbaugh007
(10-05-2017, 11:03 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

I have attached the academic eval for the BA in Liberal Studies.  I would appreciate it if any trained eye would look and see if there's anything I am missing, or a better option at TESU.  I will update with the evals from the other 2 of the Big 3 when I get them.  Also, I have a couple of other questions.  

Thanks!!!

In looking at your TESU BALS eval: Have you taken Study.com courses?  If not, then you should take at least 2 courses that way.  Then you get the Affiliate Membership discount.

You need to take:

You can do these in a variety of ways, it just depends on what you prefer.  Study.com, Straighterline, TECEP, CLEP, DSST, etc.

Awesome, thank you so much.  I have not tried study.com yet because I was waiting to find my path.  I will though.  Which is the least expensive route?  I am a single income provider for my family of four and need to limit my costs.  So all of these classes that I need can be taken at study.com, and they will count for my degree at TESU?

(10-05-2017, 11:13 AM)jbaugh007 Wrote:
(10-05-2017, 11:03 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

Thanks!!!

You need to take:

Awesome, thank you so much.  I have not tried study.com yet because I was waiting to find my path.  I will though.  Which is the least expensive route?  I am a single income provider for my family of four and need to limit my costs.  So all of these classes that I need can be taken at study.com, and they will count for my degree at TESU?

Also, if i take the free 2 cr insurance ethics course, how will i get the that 1 credit i need to meet my requirements?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,153 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,618 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,752 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,939 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,938 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,303 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,653 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero