Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Experiences with Regis University Online?
Regis University seems to have a great transfer and CLEP-friendly policies, but I'm seeing VERY mixed reviews for their online programs. Some of them are really concerning, to be honest, but they're kinda dated as well. 

Has anyone here had recent experience with them?

(I'm interested in their online BS-Communications program.  Cost is not a major concern, as my employer is graciously paying.)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Pursuing BA in Communications at SNHU (Started July 2017)
☆CLEP☆ A&I Literature 68 | College Composition w Essay 73 | American Government 68 | US History I 72 | Social Science & History 61 | Information Systems 76 | Principles of Marketing 69 | Principles of Management 67 | Psychology 61 | Sociology 61 | Humanities 57 | Educational Psychology 70 | Biology 60 | Natural Science 72 | ☆DSST☆ Environmental Science 457 | Human Cultural Geography 466 | Principles of Supervision 435 | Introduction to Business 457 | Principles of Public Speaking 450/PASS
I don't have any experience with them.
The cost might be a reason for others to pass on their programs. ($1100/credit ?)
They seem to be regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, which is good. Also their policy seems to be up to 90 transfer credits, half of credit requirements for both Major and Minor must be taken at Regis and at least 30 upper level at Regis. All unofficial, see their policies and degree requirements. Some requirements are quite specific, and might be less for your degree.
Best would be to check with your existing credits and admissions to be sure. Maybe compare with an offer at the Big 3?
(10-11-2017, 12:19 PM)lacussucceed Wrote: I don't have any experience with them.
The cost might be a reason for others to pass on their programs. ($1100/credit ?)
They seem to be regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, which is good. Also their policy seems to be up to 90 transfer credits, half of credit requirements for both Major and Minor must be taken at Regis and at least 30 upper level at Regis. All unofficial, see their policies and degree requirements. Some requirements are quite specific, and might be less for your degree.
Best would be to check with your existing credits and admissions to be sure. Maybe compare with an offer at the Big 3?

Thanks for your response!  Yeah, they're crazy expensive -- $470 pch.  I'm fortunate to have an employer paying my way, so cost is not a primary concern (especially since I'm CLEPing a majority of my credits.) Unfortunately, I'm in a field with a lot of old-school employers that still frown upon the idea of online education, so I'm willing to fork out extra for a school that isn't known primarily for their online programs. (As much as it kills me...)

My biggest concern with Regis is that your assigned advisor is just a professor from your major's department. I'm not sure how common that is, but it seems like it may cause a conflict of interest at some point?

I'm also checking out Drexel, Waldorf, Clarion, and Upper Iowa University. Regis is probably lowest on my list right now. I'm also considering just sticking with SNHU, and then using my Masters to go with a local university. I love SNHU, I truly do -- I just get tired of having to explain to people that it's a 'real' university when I mention where I'm attending.
☆CLEP☆ A&I Literature 68 | College Composition w Essay 73 | American Government 68 | US History I 72 | Social Science & History 61 | Information Systems 76 | Principles of Marketing 69 | Principles of Management 67 | Psychology 61 | Sociology 61 | Humanities 57 | Educational Psychology 70 | Biology 60 | Natural Science 72 | ☆DSST☆ Environmental Science 457 | Human Cultural Geography 466 | Principles of Supervision 435 | Introduction to Business 457 | Principles of Public Speaking 450/PASS
LOL, you know - if you attended the Big3 or WGU, you'll get that type of feedback as well, people don't know any of the schools unless they are more "Ivy League schools", the Big Names...

You should be proud to attend SNHU (Southern New Hampshire University) as it's not really known as an Online school. They've got a bigger "B&M" school than TESU/Excelsior or COSC - that's how I perceive them at least.

Their tuition is much cheaper than the Big3, but their transfer limit is 90 credits for the Bachelors I think... Anyways, truck on with that degree and once you're done, work on that Masters. Which Masters is that BTW?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-12-2017, 11:30 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You should be proud to attend SNHU (Southern New Hampshire University) as it's not really known as an Online school.  They've got a bigger "B&M" school than TESU/Excelsior or COSC - that's how I perceive them at least.  

I travel quite a bit, and what I've picked up is that SNHU's reputation varies drastically between the east and west coast. Especially in the Northeast, people  generally seem well informed that SNHU is a B&M school. On the west coast, however, all they've seen are the television commercials, and it's very much seen as an online school. For better or worse, people inadvertently group it with other schools that have national advertising campaigns.  (University of Phoenix, Ashford, etc.) 

It's not that I'm "not proud" to attend SNHU. I sincerely love attending there, and have nothing but great things to say about them. -- I'm merely trying to avoid long-term issues with potential west-coast employers that might not be well informed about SNHU's status as a B&M school. If cost was a factor, I wouldn't worry about it. But since it isn't, I'm considering all my options.
I can't speak to the East Coast part, but I agree with you on their reputation here on the West Coast
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • greencouch
(10-12-2017, 11:30 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: LOL, you know - if you attended the Big3 or WGU, you'll get that type of feedback as well, people don't know any of the schools unless they are more "Ivy League schools", the Big Names...

You should be proud to attend SNHU (Southern New Hampshire University) as it's not really known as an Online school. They've got a bigger "B&M" school than TESU/Excelsior or COSC - that's how I perceive them at least.

Their tuition is much cheaper than the Big3, but their transfer limit is 90 credits for the Bachelors I think... Anyways, truck on with that degree and once you're done, work on that Masters. Which Masters is that BTW?

If you're talking about full-time tuition, which is the most appropriate comparison, then TESU is a little bit cheaper than SNHU. People on this forum keep forgetting about the comprehensive tuition plan. If you're taking 30 credits at SNHU, then the most appropriate comparison would be how much you would pay for 30 credits at the Big 3.

(10-12-2017, 09:37 AM)greencouch Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 12:19 PM)lacussucceed Wrote: I don't have any experience with them.

Thanks for your response!  Yeah, they're crazy expensive -- $470 pch.  I'm fortunate to have an employer paying my way, so cost is not a primary concern (especially since I'm CLEPing a majority of my credits.) Unfortunately, I'm in a field with a lot of old-school employers that still frown upon the idea of online education, so I'm willing to fork out extra for a school that isn't known primarily for their online programs. (As much as it kills me...)

My biggest concern with Regis is that your assigned advisor is just a professor from your major's department. I'm not sure how common that is, but it seems like it may cause a conflict of interest at some point?

I'm also checking out Drexel, Waldorf, Clarion, and Upper Iowa University. Regis is probably lowest on my list right now. I'm also considering just sticking with SNHU, and then using my Masters to go with a local university. I love SNHU, I truly do -- I just get tired of having to explain to people that it's a 'real' university when I mention where I'm attending.

Waldorf is for-profit. I'm not sure that would be any better.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
If you are going for your Masters at a different university and do it for your career, maybe ask what they (university where you will want to go next & your employer) think about the Bachelors program/reputation?
I haven't seen any sign that graduate schools care where you earned your undergraduate degree. Regional accreditation is the most important thing. After that, it's all about having a competitive GPA, test scores, a good essay or statement of interest, and good letters of recommendation.

Sort of off topic, but letters of recommendation are a waste of paper and postage or email space. Who ever gets bad letters of recommendation? It's such a pointless requirement.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Berzerker
Some people do care for whatever reason, besides if that's the only important factor... If costs isn't an issue, how can transfer policies be one? Or is time/effort also somewhat important?
Whoever pays might expect as certain outcome.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 10 451 Yesterday, 09:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,429 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 258 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 385 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 315 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,716 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,347 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 302 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,679 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,761 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az