Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BOG degrees
(09-01-2017, 09:24 PM)cookderosa Wrote: So for those of you that have looked, are they all pretty much the same in terms of cost - is there one that is a clear winner?  

My friend has 30 credits - 15 from CLEP and 15 from a community college.  I think this might be an option for her to finish inexpensively.

Pierpont lists a concentration, which I think is a huge plus over a degree with none. There might be another which lists concentration, but I don't think anyone has posted about one that does for certain.

There's a thread including many posts about how Pierpont is slow Sad

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • cookderosa
I am an August graduate of Pierpont. 

My transcript lists an "Area of Emphasis" of Information Systems.  The diploma does not list the AOE.  All of my credits from my Community College came in as I.S. and not Computer Science.  You must have 15 credits in a concentration.  As long as you can show them the credits in any one area, they will give you the concentration.

Unfortunately, Pierpont is very slow.  I kept frequent communication with Ms. Nancy Parks.  To the point that I was afraid that I was almost harassing her.  She was so nice that she actually filled out my request for graduation, and listed my AOE.

My out of pocket expenses to Pierpont were exactly ZERO.  No application. No transcript fees.  All credits were transfer.  No graduation fees.  I almost feel bad.  Pierpont did not take one dollar from me.  I love their program.  Totally worth the wait.

(09-01-2017, 09:24 PM)cookderosa Wrote: So for those of you that have looked, are they all pretty much the same in terms of cost - is there one that is a clear winner?  

My friend has 30 credits - 15 from CLEP and 15 from a community college.  I think this might be an option for her to finish inexpensively.
Pierpont cost me absolutely nothing.  Your friend could complete this program with Straighterline.  Probably in two months.
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Completed 2020.  Program completed in 8 months.
Cybersecurity Scholarship Recipient
Thomas Edison State University
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017

[-] The following 1 user Likes ChilliDawg's post:
  • cookderosa

(09-01-2017, 08:58 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Yes, they will take ACE credit.  They took my ALEKS math courses for sure (I can't remember what else, but I know for certain those were in there).

Dfrecore,  that's awesome!!  From our list of freebies, I know those are non-liberal arts electives, do you know if all 60 credits have to be liberal arts?  Everything I'm reading says "General Elective" which is confusing to me.  I'm guessing it means "General Education Elective?"  Do you know by chance?

WVNCC was completely free to me as well - not a dime paid to them at all.  My only costs were to send the transcripts.  But be warned, they are totally slow as well, with zero communication.

My degree says "Associate in Applied Science Board of Governor's Completion Program" - and the transcript says Degree Awarded Associate in Applied Science, Major: Board of Governors.  Jut an FYI, it didn't matter to me at all.

As for the general electives, my transcript (and a handwritten eval done by an advisor there) listed all of my accounting & business courses in there.  So no, they don't need to be liberal arts.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
I would highly recommend the BOG AAS as long as the applicant has 12 or more credits from a community college that is RA. They do not accept all from Straighterline or ACE. They will take those for transfer credits to get up to 60 credits. I would recommend taking courses that will ladder to a BALS or BSBA.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-02-2017, 12:48 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I would highly recommend the BOG AAS as long as the applicant has 12 or more credits from a community college that is RA. They do not accept all from Straighterline or ACE. They will take those for transfer credits to get up to 60 credits. I would recommend taking courses that will ladder to a BALS or BSBA.

Wait now I'm confused.
She has 15 RA credits from her CC, and 15 CLEP credits, so she can't do the rest via SL?

Also- I totally appreciate the ladder concept, and normally I would suggest that too, but she's not even interested in the AAS, it's all me doing the pushing lol.
Been waiting to graduate from pierpont since May.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

LOL, sorry. What I meant was, none of the 9 WV CC will take everything from ACE (Straighterline for example). Essentially, they require at least 12 credits from a RA community college or university. Since your friend has 15 credits, she's good. She can take the remainder at any ACE provider for the credits required to fulfill the rest of the requirements.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • cookderosa
(09-02-2017, 10:31 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: LOL, sorry. What I meant was, none of the 9 WV CC will take everything from ACE (Straighterline for example). Essentially, they require at least 12 credits from a RA community college or university. Since your friend has 15 credits, she's good. She can take the remainder at any ACE provider for the credits required to fulfill the rest of the requirements.

that's fantastic, thank you!!
Does anyone know if the TEEX courses would meet the computer literacy requirement? They would be free, which would be great. Thanks!
i'd have to search through one of those other few threads to confirm, but i'm almost positive someone was able to use them for compt literacy
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • cookderosa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 12 790 04-20-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Associate degrees??? midnite123 10 663 04-03-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico bjcheung77 13 1,832 03-28-2024, 03:30 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 770 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,786 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Inexpensive Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees bjcheung77 1 463 02-20-2024, 01:13 AM
Last Post: mancheseter24
  Futurelearn has BA degrees in Marketing & Design for 13k USD. Masters for 7k USD. nyvrem 1 295 02-16-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How others think of college degrees... bjcheung77 5 580 12-31-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Why degree mills center so hard in post-graduate degrees? elcastor21 7 959 12-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Do extended level 6 diploma's from the UK get evaluated as Bachelor degrees in the US Pinko64 3 616 11-02-2023, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Pinko64