Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior- Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts
I will ask, but is there an alternative in taking the courses at SL or Study.com ? I'm better at taking classes than exams.
I am going for my BS in LA. I only had about 20 credits left for it and I told my counselor that I wanted the quickest way to do it and I also said I would rather test out in as many exams as possible. I only had UL Gen Eds basically left. She put me in for History as my depth requirement since there are 4 UL DSST/excelsior exams that would get me there fast. I took Vietnam, Civil War, and Soviet Union DSST and now will take EXC world conflicts, plus I need a Written Comp(straighterline) and Ethics(EXC) and Capstone left. 4 more classes/exams left!!

Don't worry about the exams, they are very doable especially with all the study material and feed back on this site!
Looking at your preliminary review, it looks like you need 15 Arts & Science credits in the upper level and 1 lower level credit. These credits must include:

- Capstone 3 credits
- Ethics 3 credits
- Information Literacy 1 credit

The remaining credits, you will work with your academic advisor upon enrollment to get course approval so you know the courses will apply to your degree.

All students enrolled in our Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts degree programs are required to complete two depths. A depth is a degree program requirement wherein students are required to demonstrate depth of knowledge in two different academic disciplines or subject areas (e.g. psychology, sociology, biology, literature, business, etc.).

In each of these two areas, a student must complete at least fifteen semester hours of credit, at least six of which must be at the upper level. For the Bachelor of Science degree, one depth area must be in the arts and sciences and the second depth area may be in any academic area, including Applied Professional/elective areas. A minimum 2.0 grade point average is required within each depth area.

You should think of "Arts and Science" credit as an umbrella term, under this umbrella specific subject areas are covered. These areas include Humanities, Natural Sciences, Math, Social Science and History credits. A few examples of Arts Sciences depths are Religion, Philosophy, Sociology, Mathematics, Foreign Language and History.

"Applied Professional" credit is also another umbrella term, which includes any credits which are not considered Arts and Sciences. A few examples of an Applied Professional depth could be in Business, Military Science, Education or Computer Science.

You have satisfied the Applied Professional Depth so you only need the Arts and Science depth. Once enrolled, you will work with your academic advisor to discuss your depth requirement.

I hope this information is helpful! Please let me know if you have any additional questions!
That email tells you exactly what you need to do. If I had your shoes, this is how I would handle it. Enroll in the capstone, while working on the capstone, work on the Ethics/Information literacy course. Get them to provide you two examples of UL Arts/Sciences, I already did if you read a couple of posts up. The cheapest/easiest/fastest are those two OR other UL DSST exams, there aren't any SL/Study.com UL. You can go for a TECEP but it's the same thing, an exam. I would speak with the academic advisor as they say...once you enroll.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-17-2017, 12:28 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: That email tells you exactly what you need to do.  If I had your shoes, this is how I would handle it.  Enroll in the capstone, while working on the capstone, work on the Ethics/Information literacy course. Get them to provide you two examples of UL Arts/Sciences, I already did if you read a couple of posts up. The cheapest/easiest/fastest are those two OR other UL DSST exams, there aren't any SL/Study.com UL.  You can go for a TECEP but it's the same thing, an exam.  I would speak with the academic advisor as they say...once you enroll.

If you're enrolled in Excelsior, the advisor will not allow you to enroll in the Capstone without special exception if you do not meet the requirements listed. Composition I + II, Ethics, Information Literacy need to be completed.

However. My advisor allowed me to enroll in Information Literacy and the Capstone because those were the last two classes I required for my BSLA degree. As always: Your mileage may vary.

Good Luck!

(10-16-2017, 09:11 AM)leon2017 Wrote: Hi All,

They came back today with the final review of my credits:

am I missing 5 courses?    

- Capstone  3
- Ethics 3  , SL
- Information Literacy 1 , (what is the easiest, cheapest one?)
-  UL , 6,  SL ? which courses?

If you upload your evaluation PDF with all the courses applied it would be easier to determine what youre missing. The excelsior format is a little confusion because it doesn't directly link to classes like TESU does.
(09-28-2017, 11:45 PM)leon2017 Wrote: I'm looking to come in at 117 credits and pay $1095 for the enrollment fee, $ 1230 for the 3 credit capstone if it is 3 and $130 for graduation $ 225 for student services, all under partnership. Is there any other cost Im missing besides transcripts, etc? Thats $2683

I'm late to reply, but others corrected you about the graduation fee, and I don't think anyone corrected you on the capstone cost. $1230 is only for people who take at least 12 credits at Excelsior. So it's $1530 if you don't, for just the capstone. I have $3120 as my total for 117 credits, no military discount, and with corporate partner pricing.

I took a break and completed some certs but going back to get this done and understand the next steps. My employer will pay for the degree. If someone can please let me know the courses that I can take and transfer to Excelsior. I also have them doing eval on business degree. I need to know cheapest way to get degree, I will also share those in a few days. Thanks

Attached Files
.pdf   BALS Plan_.pdf (Size: 180.79 KB / Downloads: 44)
[-] The following 1 user Likes leon2017's post:
  • Life Long Learning
I'm sure others will jump in on UL needs, but after quickly looking at your plan sheet it doesn't look like you've taken Developing Effective Teams from Sophia.org it is one credit, should fit your 1 credit need under APPLIED PROFESSIONAL or ADDITIONAL ARTS AND SCIENCES and the best thing is it is FREE.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(01-21-2018, 11:04 AM)leon2017 Wrote: I took a break and completed some certs but going back to get this done and understand the next steps. My employer will pay for the degree. If someone can please let me know the courses that I can take and transfer to Excelsior. I also have them doing eval on business degree. I need to know cheapest way to get degree, I will also share those in a few days. Thanks

Excelsior College Credit by Exam Catalog 2013

Listed UExcel, CLEP, DSST by Subject area and Credit Level (UL or LL).

1.     UExcel Exams.  Google, it will say which ones are.  Should be many!
2.     CLEP = They are all LL

3.     DSST Exams in 2013 that were UL (***contact your EC advisor to verify)

Listed in 2013 as UL:
DSST Business Ethics and Society                                        Humanities
DSST Ethics in America                                                         Humanities
DSST World Religions                                                           Humanities
DSST Criminal Justice                                                            Social Science/History
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction                                      Social Science/History
DSST Money and Banking                                                     Social Science/History
DSST Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union                                Social Science/History                       
DSST Business Law II                                                           Applied Professional
DSST Substance Abuse                                                          Applied Professional
DSST Prin. of Finance                                                            Applied Professional  
DSST Here’s to Your Health                                                  Applied Professional  
DSST Management Information Systems                              Applied Professional

Some may have changed.

'Trust but Verify' Big Grin
------President Ronald Reagan
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Thank you allvia and Life Long Learning, good info. I will try to figure it out from here and get pre-approval.

I looked at the following document and tried to figure it out. Would this work for the missing courses?

http://www.excelsior.edu/documents/78666...4c8ec0d27f

I'm better at passing classes then taking exams....

Provider Course Credits

Sofhia.org Developing Effective Teams 1
SL Business Ethics 3
SL Introduction to Psychology 3
SL Introduction to Sociology 3
SL Introduction to Philosophy 3
SL Cultural Anthropology 3

Total 16

Any other from study.com

I have also asked them to check evaluation under business since I also have plenty of credits. I'm not good understanding courses... sorry...
[-] The following 1 user Likes leon2017's post:
  • Life Long Learning

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 281 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 220 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 572 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,314 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 509 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 285 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 600 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Metropolia Transition to Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology aleksa 10 1,559 11-09-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: aleksa
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 407 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Do extended level 6 diploma's from the UK get evaluated as Bachelor degrees in the US Pinko64 3 612 11-02-2023, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Pinko64