Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
upper level finance courses?
First off I would like to thank everybody here on these forums for inspiring me to go back to school and finish my degree.  With a full-time job and a family with two kids to support I never really thought going back to school would be a viable option for me.  With less than two months under my belt I have completed all of my gen-ed requirements and am now completing my core classes at a pretty good clip. So now I am trying to figure out my AOS for sure.  I had originally planned general management just because of the flexibility in the courses I have to choose from but I am starting to think I might be most interested in finance (maybe even go for a dual aos in finance and gm).  I haven't been able to find many options for finance courses though besides the two teceps offered and the two courses from davar.  Penn Foster has a corporate finance course but I'm assuming this would simply duplicate the course from davar.  I looked into taking online courses through my local university but they charge 240/credit with 100+ in fees per course, plus an application fee so this wouldn't be much cheaper than simply taking it through tesu.  

I guess my question is two-fold.. Do I just need to take 6 courses from finance (4ul/2ll) or are there specific topics that need to be covered? Secondly, what are my other options? Does anybody know of any other courses/exams that would meet the criteria and if not I am open to suggestions for affordable 4yr universities that offer online courses (since community college always transfers lower level) thanks!

side thought-- if the 4 courses I have listed are all upper level then community college courses might actually be viable and cheaper options to knock out 2 LL courses (I thought there was a place in new mexico or something like that offering $49/cr but I can't remember the name) 

Security Analysis and Portfolio Management-tecep
Money & Banking/Financial Institutions and Markets-tecep
Multinational Business Finance-davar
Corporate Finance-davar

Thanks in advance to whoever can offer advice, and thanks again to all the wonderful contributors that make this place awesome!
Those 4 are UL, and yes PF will duplicate Davar.

You can take the Money & Banking DSST exam. And then CSU-Global has their CBE's - the only one I think will work (although there could be more) is Assessing & Managing Risk ($250).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
After a little more looking around I found Ed4Credit has ECO300 Money and Banking course that is ace recommended for lower level but I'm assuming this will duplicate the dsst? This might be better anyways since the nearest dsst testing facility is about 1.5 hour drive for me.

also from csu global:
Analyzing Financial Statements
FIN400EX (3 credits)

Assessing and Managing Risk is listed as a project management course but I assume has been accepted as finance before based on your extensive 'master spreadsheet'? =]

Thanks for your suggestions and all your help so far. All the transfer credits you placed on my spreadsheet for me transferred exactly as you thought they would too! You Rock
One or two were told that Analyzing Financial Statements won't work, because it's accounting, but I was told it does work. I don't have confidence in answers I am given from TESU.

The cheap NM schools are New Mexico Junior College and Clovis Community College. Also Luna which is cheapest, but they seem to make you log on at certain days and times, and Luna has fewer classes. Once you add all the fees, NMJC is the second cheapest but is still around $300 for a course.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • sarg123
(10-02-2017, 11:24 AM)will1975 Wrote: After a little more looking around I found Ed4Credit has ECO300 Money and Banking course that is ace recommended for lower level but I'm assuming this will duplicate the dsst?  This might be better anyways since the nearest dsst testing facility is about 1.5 hour drive for me.

also from csu global:
Analyzing Financial Statements
FIN400EX (3 credits)

Assessing and Managing Risk is listed as a project management course but I assume has been accepted as finance before based on your extensive 'master spreadsheet'? =]

Thanks for your suggestions and all your help so far.  All the transfer credits you placed on my spreadsheet for me transferred exactly as you thought they would too! You Rock

I would contact TESU directly to get the CSU-Global course pre-approved.  I've heard the FIN400EX course was not considered finance.

The Ed4Credit course does duplicate the DSST.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
props to them for a speedy response but I didn't find this all that helpful...lol

Quote:We have solved your issue

Will,

If you intend to add the Finance area of study to your record, please confirm that in your response. I also need exam descriptions for both CSU- Global options (PJM410EX and FIN400EX) to determine if they'll apply to your program.

Based on your other selections, the EDFC0200, the TECEP exams, FIN-321 and FIN-331 and the two Davar Academy courses (Multinational Business Finance & Corporate Finance) would all potentially apply to the Finance area.

Please note that you would then have to complete the General Management area of study with only Accounting, Marketing or Management based courses.

Is there a reason that they can't confirm them unless I officially add/update my aos?  What is the exam description they ask about? Wouldn't the credit just transfer directly from csu?
Also I asked them if I would only need to take two more classes (to have at least one from 3 groups) to qualify for a secondary GM AOS or if they need to be all unique credits.  Maybe somebody from here can answer that for me with a little less "vagueness" haha... thanks!
(10-02-2017, 01:59 PM)will1975 Wrote: props to them for a speedy response but I didn't find this all that helpful...lol

Quote:We have solved your issue

Will,

If you intend to add the Finance area of study to your record, please confirm that in your response. I also need exam descriptions for both CSU- Global options (PJM410EX and FIN400EX) to determine if they'll apply to your program.

Based on your other selections, the EDFC0200, the TECEP exams, FIN-321 and FIN-331 and the two Davar Academy courses (Multinational Business Finance & Corporate Finance) would all potentially apply to the Finance area.

Please note that you would then have to complete the General Management area of study with only Accounting, Marketing or Management based courses.

Is there a reason that they can't confirm them unless I officially add/update my aos?  What is the exam description they ask about? Wouldn't the credit just transfer directly from csu?
Also I asked them if I would only need to take two more classes (to have at least one from 3 groups) to qualify for a secondary GM AOS or if they need to be all unique credits.  Maybe somebody from here can answer that for me with a little less "vagueness" haha... thanks!
The advisor didn't say they couldn't answer unless you changed your AOS, they said they need the descriptions. I do recommend you change it and have the courses planned into your eval before taking them, though.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
1) You need to send a syllabus or catalog description of the course to them so they can evaluate it to see if it will fit. They will do that with any course that comes from another school, all schools do that (obviously if it's something they already know, they will know what the equivalency is, but they don't always).

2) If you are going to get a 2nd concentration in the BSBA, then you need 18cr in General Management - with 12cr UL. There can't be any overlap between the 2 concentrations. So you would need 1 course each in Accounting, Marketing and Management (which is very broad) and then 3 courses in whatever you want, other than Finance.
Thanks to everybody who had posted advice/feedback before... I just thought I would leave this here in case somebody else comes across this thread in the future and it wondering the same thing...

from tesu advising:
Thank you for providing the descriptions for both PJM410EX and FIN400EX from Colorado State University- Global. Both options will transfer in as MAN-435, Project Management, and ACC-311, Financial Statements, respectively.

Kind of a bummer but I'll keep looking, or maybe just stick with the GM =]
(10-04-2017, 03:53 PM)will1975 Wrote: Thanks to everybody who had posted advice/feedback before...  I just thought I would leave this here in case somebody else comes across this thread in the future and it wondering the same thing...

from tesu advising:
Thank you for providing the descriptions for both PJM410EX and FIN400EX from Colorado State University- Global. Both options will transfer in as MAN-435, Project Management, and ACC-311, Financial Statements, respectively.

Kind of a bummer but I'll keep looking, or maybe just stick with the GM =]

I'm wondering if you sent in the correct info for PJM410EX?  Someone else on this forum got it approved, and it definitely wasn't Project Management.  They have several PM courses there as well.

I would send in the page from the catalog with all of the PM courses on it, and ask for all of the courses to get evaluated.  Once they see them all together, they probably would not give them all the same course numbers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,467 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,784 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,097 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,086 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Finance by test out clarkin16 5 1,864 08-10-2018, 12:37 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Liberal Studies General Coursework won't be filled by BUS or CIS courses? posabsolute 5 1,739 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  Need one more BALS Upper Level badooble 12 3,088 07-28-2018, 08:22 AM
Last Post: quigongene
  CIS vs COS courses for a BALS concentration in CS at TESU jeffreymb 1 1,235 07-25-2018, 10:37 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  TESU Psychology courses & grad school prospects. advancedmemetics 5 1,739 07-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Options for TESU BSBA Gen.Mgt Finance & Business/Society Excellente 5 1,924 06-30-2018, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Merlin