Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What I've Learned So Far in Grad School
(10-04-2017, 12:05 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(10-04-2017, 09:17 AM)sanantone Wrote: Although, I've that most of the instructors at the Extension School don't really teach at the other Harvard schools. With Harvard Extension,

Her "poor grades" earned her almost a full ride btw.  

I think you misunderstood my post. I did not say that everyone who attends Harvard Extension has poor grades. I said that it's an option for those who don't have the grades to get into a high-ranking college.

By the way, schools within universities are ranked. It looks like I'm not the one who is factually wrong and spreading myths. You might want to do your own research first before you try to correct someone. 

https://www.forbes.com/business-schools/list/
https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sch...a-rankings
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I rarely agree with sanatone, but Individual programs and schools within a University are ranked. She is correct.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Thank you, corpsole2, for this inspiring share. Sometimes it's easy to forget that within this community of extraordinary education "hackers" exists the potential to change trajectories as you have. I'm inspired and grateful for the reminder.

I want to say something, as well, about HES. I recommended HES to my niece who had not performed to her potential in college. She took the opportunity at Harvard Extwnsion School seriously, working and living with her parents, saving everything for a year and moving to Boston. It's a different way than we generally consider here but it was a phenomenal opportunity. Through her Biology program she did stem cell research and ultimately assisted in running a lab for one of the top researchers in that field. She also ran for and was elected to the Harvard graduate student government along with students from the Business, Law and Medical schools because Extension is one of the grad schools. And finally, upon graduation she got the kind of job that would never have considered her before all these experiences and accomplishments so while it's not the way many of us can or will use our Big Three degrees, it IS possible and, just like this thread about a world-class experience at Hopkins, it's achievable... not for everyone, but for some.
---------------
Next Goal: TESU BA in Psychology & Computer Science

[-] The following 3 users Like studiousimp's post:
  • dfrecore, Ideas, Yenisei
(10-04-2017, 11:38 PM)studiousimp Wrote: Thank you, corpsole2, for this inspiring share. Sometimes it's easy to forget that within this community of extraordinary education "hackers" exists the potential to change trajectories as you have. I'm inspired and grateful for the reminder.

I want to say something, as well, about HES. I recommended HES to my niece who had not performed to her potential in college. She took the opportunity at Harvard Extwnsion School seriously, working and living with her parents, saving everything for a year and moving to Boston. It's a different way than we generally consider here but it was a phenomenal opportunity. Through her Biology program she did stem cell research and ultimately assisted in running a lab for one of the top researchers in that field. She also ran for and was elected to the Harvard graduate student government along with students from the Business, Law and Medical schools because Extension is one of the grad schools. And finally, upon graduation she got the kind of job that would never have considered her before all these experiences and accomplishments so while it's not the way many of us can or will use our Big Three degrees, it IS possible and, just like this thread about a world-class experience at Hopkins, it's achievable... not for everyone, but for some.

I think young people should definitely take advantage of family support when they have it. People who have family support are very fortunate. Some people either don't have living parents or don't have the option to live with their parents. I fell into the latter category and later into the former. Fortunately for my younger sister, she was able to live with me while she went to a traditional public university, saved a lot on rent, and didn't have much debt upon graduation. I had to be the breadwinner and support both of us on less than $24,000 per year along with the little bit of money she made from her part-time job, but I'm glad that I was able to give my younger sister that opportunity.  

Unfortunately, I now make a whole lot more than she does even though I earned my bachelor's and master's online at Podunk State Universities, but things don't always turn out as planned.  Sad
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(10-05-2017, 01:24 AM)sanantone Wrote: I think young people should definitely take advantage of family support when they have it. People who have family support are very fortunate. Some people either don't have living parents or don't have the option to live with their parents. I fell into the latter category and later into the former. Fortunately for my younger sister, she was able to live with me while she went to a traditional public university, saved a lot on rent, and didn't have much debt upon graduation. I had to be the breadwinner and support both of us on less than $24,000 per year along with the little bit of money she made from her part-time job, but I'm glad that I was able to give my younger sister that opportunity.  

Unfortunately, I now make a whole lot more than she does even though I earned my bachelor's and master's online at Podunk State Universities, but things don't always turn out as planned.  Sad

Yep. Life happens, things aren't fair, opportunities are easier to take advantage of with resources and support (they're also easier with excellent health and a sense of optimism). But those aren't the only conditions under which great things can be achieved. If they were, many of us would be utterly, thoroughly scr*wed.

What's inspiring to me is the fact that our Podunk, no-name regionally accredited degrees are keys that can open doors to these extraordinary experiences and opportunities through some of the most venerable institutions. Are they free? No. Are they convenient? Not for most. Are they possible? Yes and that's worth celebrating.

I am here finally moving my tail forward because I felt a bit green with envy at the fact that my niece acted on the HES info while I've known about and dreamed about the program for many many years and yet I did nothing to change the trajectory of my own life with that knowledge. I felt the sting of the support structure I didn't have. I was so mad... at my circumstances, at myself. It was in remembering that if I *really* want something, I can challenge myself and give it my best. This capacity to get creative and go for it is what separates ours from other societies. In terms of finding creative ways to get the necessary education and move up ladders of our own choosing, we are freer than most.

I know a lot of us have found ways to succeed without a degree. Until or unless I mention that I am completing my BA, I doubt anyone has noticed or cared that I'm mostly self-taught and uncredentialed. That's largely because I am an entrepreneur and I'm certainly an entrepreneur at least in part because I haven't had a bachelors' or an advanced degree as a calling card. Like many of you, I have built businesses and had successes that have been richly rewarding... It is in part because of all that background that I know I can move heaven and earth to accomplish things that mean the most to me. I don't yet know whether challenging myself with an Ivy League education is something I want to sacrifice for but I'm thinking about it. And posts like the OP are a perfect reminder that not only is it possible to do something, it is possible to do something that's completely trajectory changing.... and that's really something.
---------------
Next Goal: TESU BA in Psychology & Computer Science

By the way, schools within universities are ranked. It looks like I'm not the one who is factually wrong and spreading myths. You might want to do your own research first before you try to correct someone. 
>>

You are correct. My apologies! I'll revise. Harvard University is nationally ranked #2 university in the USA by US News. Harvard's College of Continuing Education is NOT ranked.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 873 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,839 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,339 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,273 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,244 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,266 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,406 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,347 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,061 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Caribbean Immigration (Med School Discount! - Secrets - Shhh...) bjcheung77 19 4,500 09-29-2023, 10:14 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess