Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HR career with Management Degree?
So currently i'm working at a decent paying job with AMAZING benefits. However, it's not exactly a job that is "career" worthy. For instance if i lost this job, I don't think I could find many other positions like it out there hiring. This is pushing me to think of a more broad career field to get into after I finish my Bachelors in Business Management. The first thing I can think of is Human Resources, I feel as though I would love this field, and I think I would thrive in it. With that being said, I have no background or experience in it, but I will have a management degree soon. Will this be a field I can somehow get into after i graduate? Like I mentioned, I don't have HR experience, but I do have a solid 2 years full time work history in a professional environment (i'm fairly young so the 2 years is the longest I've held a full time position). I feel like I would like a technical recruiter position or some HR management position. Also, I feel if i were to relocate or move around, I would have no problem finding a HR job if I had the experience back it up, also the industry seems vast. Input is welcome.

Regards,

Regards
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation." -Henry David Thoreau

BA- Business Management (6)
ALEKS- Intro To Statistics
AAS Business Administration- Community College
[-] The following 1 user Likes Regards's post:
  • cali86
I think you should be fine unless you want to get the CHRP for being a certified HR pro.
Otherwise, I would recommend at least taking a course or two in human resource management...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
There are several strong members with an excellent input connected to HR; I anticipate there being some strong shares pointing you in the right direction. One of them can confirm the true value but an option, if you are currently attending TESU with your BA would be to pick up their Human Resource in Management: 15 of the 18 credits can be done through outside resources like Penn Foster. I would wager a Graduate certificate would be significantly more valuable at the end of the day.

Again, just sharing some resources, I am confident some others will join in to help.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
To get a decent job in HR (you'll probably start towards the bottom/mid and work your way up), a degree in Business w/some HR courses is fine. If you want to get a certification, you should actually look at jobs in your area and see what's asked for; there are 2 major ones, but it depends on where you live as to which is more requested (PHR from HCRI or SHRM).

I've never even heard of a CHRP, so I probably wouldn't recommend that.

There are also certs within some of the specializations. If you're working in compensation, a CCP is sometimes required (Certified Compensation Professional). If you're in Benefits, a CBP might be required (Certified Benefits Professional). These are more expensive but more comprehensive than a Graduate Certificate, so I would save your money - find out what you want to work as, and see what you need to get after you're done with your BSBA.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Oops, typo... was typing too quickly and typed CHRP when I was thinking of "Certified HR Pro"...
This is what I actually meant: SHRM, there are two types - SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP

SHRM Certified Professional SHRM-CP
SHRM Senior Certified Professional SHRM-SCP

I find many take these over CBP and CCP, it all depends on what you need.
I would review all three - CBP/CCP and SHRM to see which suits you more.

(10-06-2017, 12:50 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Oops, typo... was typing too quickly and typed CHRP when I was thinking of "Certified HR Pro"...
This is what I actually meant: SHRM, there are two types - SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP

SHRM Certified Professional SHRM-CP
SHRM Senior Certified Professional SHRM-SCP

I find many take these over CBP and CCP, it all depends on what you need.
I would review all three - CBP/CCP and SHRM to see which suits you more.

SHRM and PHR are both general and sort of interchangeable, CCP/CBP are very specialized, and quite different than SHRM/PHR.

PHR is a 3-hr exam and costs $500.  SHRM is a 4-hr exam which costs $300.  You take them at a Prometric center.  With both, you can get a "senior" level, but you have to have 4/5 years of experience in HR and a Bachelor's degree to do so.  The PHRca is specific to CA, and so it is the more requested here.  SHRM doesn't have a specialized CA cert.

For the PHR/SHRM exams, that's kind of expected that you get it on your own if you want to get into HR.  Lots of HR degrees prepare you for one or the other in the coursework (WGU is aligned with both certs).

CCP/CBP will take you quite a long time to get through.  Each exam one will cost you $1300 for the self-study materials and exam (or $800 for the exam only), and then last I knew, you had to schedule a time to take the exam where they were holding seminars across the country (no online tests available).  So it could take you 2-3 years to study and take all 10 exams in the discipline (either Comp or Benefits).

For the CCP/CBP, the companies I've dealt with will pay for them - and pay to send you to 1 or 2 day seminars to learn the material and take the exam (that's what I did at one time and got a smaller cert within the CCP, which no longer exists).

So $300-$500 for a single exam, or $8,000 for 10 exams - quite a difference.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks for this update, that WGU HR program seems very good. Especially if it's aligned with those two certificates.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What career move would you make? FAANG Contract or steady work mohelena02 21 2,069 02-08-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 542 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
  Possible Career Change - Advice Needed acamp 18 1,214 06-11-2023, 06:14 PM
  TEFL opportunities without a degree Personherebb9 3 488 06-11-2023, 03:09 AM
  for those who have a math degree - is your job math related ? bluebooger 0 528 03-22-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Life After Career Switch Alpha 1 683 03-04-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  What Is The Mobility of Your Career? Kal Di 0 768 02-16-2022, 03:20 AM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Project Management book bundle rachel83az 2 632 01-22-2022, 05:16 PM
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 929 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher
  Help: Master of Science in Engineering Management DanielDaCosta87 3 1,052 08-15-2021, 03:06 PM
Last Post: DanielDaCosta87