Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold Feet
So my question is can I not move into an apartment if I already put down a security deposit? Long story short, I put down a deposit of $99 on the apartment, however I have not signed the lease or anything yet. There is actually someone still living in it even. I did sign some sort of performance bond statement, but I think that was just for the deposit. Is there still time to back out if I need too?
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation." -Henry David Thoreau

BA- Business Management (6)
ALEKS- Intro To Statistics
AAS Business Administration- Community College
I believe you can walk away completely, but lose your $99.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • cookderosa
"all your base are belong to us" - err incorrect grammar and wording
I meant the "deposit" should mean that you would want to lease, and if you don't take the lease, you forfeit that amount...
If there's no "signature" for any terms of the lease, then you don't have to worry about anything at all.

However, if you've signed a lease, they can technically ask for $ if they can't find anyone else to lease.
Many times, they'll find someone right away and it won't cost them anything... no loss on their side I should say.
Things happen, talk to them and see what you can work out if there needs to be anything worked out.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Regards
You can walk away since you haven't signed a lease agreement.

I'm not even sure they can keep your security deposit, since you haven't signed a lease. But, if worse comes to worst, the most you are out is $99.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Regards
Agreed, you're not locked in yet - if you ask nicely, they may even give you your deposit back. We had a similar instance when moving to NC and accidentally rented an apartment in a bad part of town. Our deposit was $1400 (!) which we had paid almost a full month earlier- they cashed the check and we signed the lease. We were in Illinois doing all of this over the phone/computer. We were very very nice and asked them on the phone to please let us out of the lease. (We did fib and say that we weren't moving to NC afterall) but they said no problem and gave us a full refund and canceled our lease. They didn't have to do any of that - and we probably would have had to buy it out (I wasn't about to move there with my kids). I hope you have a good outcome!!
(10-16-2017, 09:38 PM)thejoy93 Wrote: You need to talk to the owner, there might be a probability that you won't be able to get the security deposit. How come somebody still leave on the apartment when you have aleady paid an initial deposit?

Not sure, I think there is a high demand for this apartment complex with a big waiting list. So even if someone it still living in the apartment they try to get potential prospects ready to hop in next for a smooth transition. No down time = more money.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation." -Henry David Thoreau

BA- Business Management (6)
ALEKS- Intro To Statistics
AAS Business Administration- Community College

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UT School Bus Driver Dragged 13-year-old 150 Feet sanantone 13 2,372 05-16-2019, 08:31 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero