Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lab component for Biology course?
The school I will be enrolling in for my BA requires a lab component for all science courses in the General Ed. section of my degree.
I have already taken and passed the Biology CLEP with its 6 recommended credits from ACE. However, when I contacted the admissions department they stated that I could take a lab from an outside academic institution and transfer that credit otherwise my credit from the Biology CLEP would be placed in my electives and I would have to take a full Biology course to satisfy the science requirements. Does anyone know of a lab that I can take online and substitute the CLEP for the lecture part? I have looked
into my local Community College for such programs but have not found any so far. I'll keep researching though. I would really like to use that CLEP for my science requirements given how hard I worked for it but I'm open to anything else anyone can think of.
Thanks in advance!
Straighterline has a standalone lab for Biology I. I don't know if anyone has found a standalone lab for Bio II. I took the full course at NMJC for about $354. If there is a standalone lab for Bio II somewhere, chances are that it will be more expensive than $354 with the cost of a lab kit. I didn't need a lab kit for NMJC, but then again, that kind of lab may not be the best preparation if you want a biology job.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Will they accept SL or Ed4Credit?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-14-2017, 01:34 PM)TDHARRIS Wrote: The school I will be enrolling in for my BA requires a lab component for all science courses in the General Ed. section of my degree.
I have already taken and passed the Biology CLEP with its 6 recommended credits from ACE. However, when I contacted the admissions department they stated that I could take a lab from an outside academic institution and transfer that credit otherwise my credit from the Biology CLEP would be placed in my electives and I would have to take a full Biology course to satisfy the science requirements. Does anyone know of a lab that I can take online and substitute the CLEP for the lecture part? I have looked
into my local Community College for such programs but have not found any so far. I'll keep researching though. I would really like to use that CLEP for my science requirements given how hard I worked for it but I'm open to anything else anyone can think of.
Thanks in advance!

While some colleges will transcribe a science CLEP as 8 instead of 6 (indicating lab) most don't. The part of your question that concerns me is that "all science courses" in your degree "require a lab."
"All" implies you need more than 2, which would put your degree in a category that is probably not going to let you fool around with ACE labs to fill in half classes. Most colleges don't require 3 lab sciences for a BA - my money says you're going to have to take actual lab science classes, and my guess is that you won't get to use the CLEP bio as an elective because your lab science class will duplicate the credit. If you were willing to give more details- like where you're attending and what your degree is in, I'm sure someone can help you find clues to how your college will handle this. My guess is that this isn't going to go how you expected it to go.
I forgot to mention that you should check to see if your school requires that the course say "for science majors." Also, some schools differentiate between intro and general courses. For example, a school may offer intro to chemistry (for non-majors) and general chemistry (for majors).
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Thanks to everyone for your responses and recommendations. I have contacted my school (American Military University) to determine whether the SL biology lab mentioned by sanantone would satisfy the lab requirement for one biology course. Still
waiting for a reply. The BA I'm working towards is in Military History and 4 science credits with a mandatory lab are required
for the General Education part. If I have to take an online course w/ a lab through AMU I will, but if I can transfer those credits in
it would save both time and money on my part. By the way cookderosa, the SL Bio standalone lab is worth one science credit not
three. I hope it works out and I will let you all know when I get a reply back. O by the way yes, on the Straighterline website AMU
is listed as a college that fully accepts all SL's credits. I'm not sure about Ed4Credit. Thanks again.
(10-16-2017, 12:07 PM)TDHARRIS Wrote: Thanks to everyone for your responses and recommendations. I have contacted my school (American Military University) to determine whether the SL biology lab mentioned by sanatone would satisfy the lab requirement for one biology course. Still
waiting for a reply. The BA I'm working towards is in Military History and 4 science credits with a mandatory lab are required
for the General Education part. If I have to take an online course w/ a lab through AMU I will, but if I can transfer those credits in
it would save both time and money on my part. By the way cookderosa, the SL Bio standalone lab is worth one science credit not
three. I hope it works out and I will let you all know when I get a reply back. O by the way yes, on the Straighterline website AMU
is listed as a college that fully accepts all SL's credits. I'm not sure about Ed4Credit. Thanks again.

AMU will take ACE credits, and they are a partner college with SL, so you should be fine.  I'm guessing they'll take Study.com as well.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Received the following reply from AMU this morning:

Good news! Yes, the Straighterline Biology Lab, combined with the Biology CLEP would fulfill your General Education Science requirements.

So there's my plan! Thanks to everyone, especially sanantone for your help.
Ed4credit is another ACE option, but I think Straighterline is cheaper if you have membership.
They offer Bio I and Chem I, and also their corresponding Lab courses at $65.
Science Courses: https://ed4credit.com/courses/18
Get 17% Off Your Course! Coupon Code: Halloween2017
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • TDHARRIS
(10-16-2017, 12:07 PM)TDHARRIS Wrote: By the way cookderosa, the SL Bio standalone lab is worth one science credit not
three.

Yes, I think we were talking about different things. I spoke about the CLEP being 6 or 8.

EDIT to add: congrats on getting your answer. BTW, keep a close eye on your alternative credit. Their main page doesn't do a good job of explaining their caps. http://www.amu.apus.edu/admissions/transfer-credit.html

Go deeper into their transfer credit details to see that they only accept 30 alternative credits. Alternative credits include all credit by exam and ACE. http://www.apus.edu/TransferCredit/accep...rgraduate/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for an RA Online Biology II w Lab Fountains of Roses 10 1,590 02-06-2021, 11:42 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Cheap and Fast Online Biology Degrees mgmar22 2 1,665 01-09-2021, 07:53 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  Is the Straighterline Biology Lab Kit Reusalble or Consumable? JaronB34 1 1,267 10-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Lydclrk
  Biology/Natural Sciences major—transferring into the Big 3 wow 10 1,985 09-08-2019, 12:45 PM
Last Post: wow
  Best for Federal Biology jobs? bethanyneedsajob 8 1,707 08-03-2019, 07:06 PM
Last Post: bethanyneedsajob
  How should I study for the biology CLEP? trus 7 2,557 06-05-2019, 08:25 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Natural Sciences or Biology - Possible? Dan A Million 41 4,955 05-22-2019, 09:30 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Newbie with Clep Biology Question Mom23boys 9 1,987 02-27-2019, 01:48 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Cheap Online Degree in Human Biology sanantone 8 1,784 01-28-2019, 01:44 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Biology courses sought AND advice(for daughter) scout2family 9 1,684 11-14-2018, 10:37 PM
Last Post: jsd