Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a direction...overwhelmed
OK, so I've probably over researched this whole thing which is why I'm now overwhelmed. I found you all 2 nights ago and have been reading and printing like mad. My desk is now covered in papers and I don't seem to be any closer to a conclusion. Hopefully I can get you the Reader's Digest Condensed version here.

Long term sub for small private school. Principal wants me to get a BA/BS by the end of May (if possible) so I can take over a full-time slot next year. He said he doesn't care the degree, just get the bachelor's. Check! 

This is what I have on my transcripts:

Napa Valley College 88-89
Fundamentals of Art, ART 112, 3 cr
US History 2, HIST 121, 3 cr
Elem Algebra, MATH 101, 5 cr
Math Lab, MATH 131, .5 cr
Police Academy, ADMJ 295, 18 cr
ADMJ Internship, ADMJ 190, 3 cr

UMUC 06-08
Intro Computer-Based Systems, IFSM 201, 3cr
Info Literacy Research Methods, LIBS 150, 1 cr
Intro to Physical Science, NSCI 100, 3 cr
Pysical Science Lab, NSCI 101, 1 cr
Intro to Writing, ENGL 101, 3 cr
Intro to Psy, PSYC 100, 3 cr
College Algebra, MATH 107, 3 cr

I'm making some assumptions: 
- Intro to Alg (009) & Interm Alg (012) don't count
- I will only get credit for 1 of the algebra classes since UMUC made me retake it already
- IFSM and LIBS won't transfer as those are UMUC specific courses

I have not been working in the law enforcement area so my knowledge in that area is very outdated. I have been a teacher in one way or another for almost 20 years but not enough time to go thru WGU's education degree and do the demonstration teaching. So that will be for another time.

I'm thinking liberal arts at either TESU or Excelsior. With TESU I might be able to get Liberal Studies with Criminal Justice concentration and use the academy credits to clear some. But no idea if I can then find courses to test out of the rest of the crim stuff. 

I'm ready to pull the trigger on whatever I need. I have looked at study.com, straighterline.com, InstantCert for all the CLEP/DSST stuff, ALEKS if I need more math, and Saylor.  I just need a directions. Anyone willing to give me their .02???

Thanks in advance. I can't believe how helpful this forum is. Already one of my guys has been reading over my shoulder. He wants IT and I said this is the place to find out how to do it.
I created a TESU BALS degree plan for you.  I decided on BALS because I think it will be the easiest.  Since you took the police academy courses at a CC, they will come in as Free electives for the BALS at worst - with the possibility that some/all will come in as Gen Eds (best case scenario).  If you decided on the CJ degree, then they would come in there, but you'd need to take 18cr of UL in that area, and those are a little harder to find, and more expensive than just doing the BALS.

Elem Algebra won't count, because it's considered Developmental.  Not sure why you didn't list Intro to Alg and Intermediate Alg, not sure where you took them - but TESU will take Intermediate Algebra.  So if you took those at a college, then list it as a Gen Ed Elective.

IFSM and LIBS will both come in - not many courses are "UMUC specific" as you stated - I guess meaning that other schools won't accept them?  Lots of schools will take lots of credits, and TESU is one of those, so don't leave out ANYTHING you took anywhere.

Here's what I would do if I were you:

1) Apply at TESU, so that you can get an eval of your credits.  You will want to see where all those police academy credits come in.  Do it ASAP.

- Make sure you apply with the Study.com affiliate membership option; this will do 3 things for you: 1) Waive the cornerstone course (a $300 course); 2) give you a $700 discount on the Residency Requirement Fee ($1800 instead of $2500); and 3) give you a discount on any TESU courses you take ($1098 instead of $1497, and you at least have to take the capstone course).

2) Apply for the Study.com/Guardian scholarship.  If you get it, start taking courses.  If you don't, then take at least 2 courses there anyway.  

3) Go ahead and start taking the courses you need for certain; English 2 (DSST or Study.com or SL), Speech, Sociology, Free Insurance Ethics course, American Government, any other free courses (TEEX, NFA, Sophia); and map out what you want to take for your UL courses in the AOS (psych, history are 2 good options).

START TAKING COURSES!  I can't stress this enough.  The only way to get the degree is to take your courses, so get moving.  Don't wait.  Don't overthink it.  Just GO!

Good luck!

Attached Files
.xlsx   dfsquare TESU BALS.xlsx (Size: 41.92 KB / Downloads: 15)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Wow, you are amazing! That was far more than I could have hoped. Thank you, thank you. I'll get on it after church tomorrow.
Good luck!

I was kinda in your boat. Taken me almost two years full time, but I see the finish line from where I am!
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New here; intrigued, slightly confused and overwhelmed jobojoe285 22 902 7 hours ago
Last Post: jobojoe285
  Looking for direction AAS to BA/BS FastPace 7 1,308 02-25-2019, 01:30 PM
Last Post: FastPace
  Overwhelmed Newbie! Where to start? CiggyTardust 15 3,218 01-08-2019, 11:05 AM
Last Post: mysonx3
  I'm ready, but overwhelmed! sony732 31 5,196 09-12-2018, 01:18 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Need direction Collegelady2 6 1,010 05-17-2017, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Collegelady2
  Which College?: New and Overwhelmed. SaebScholar 45 7,574 01-10-2017, 11:39 PM
Last Post: SaebScholar
  Help me in the right direction [Environmental Sciences/Biology/Ecology] ForestDude 6 1,407 10-22-2016, 03:09 AM
Last Post: ForestDude
  Overwhelmed(by all the different services for credit) TESUAbroad 4 869 09-05-2016, 10:56 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Overwhelmed by Biology CLEP, what do I do?? philippians4:8 21 10,864 08-18-2016, 10:11 PM
Last Post: philippians4:8
  Overwhelmed newbie needing degree plan advice please. icytwilight 7 1,232 06-24-2016, 11:34 AM
Last Post: dfrecore