Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No luck with straighterline partner colleges.
Has anyone else had a hard time with straighterline partner colleges? 

I have been going through the list trying to find a good college but it seems that most of their partner colleges are reluctant to accept more than one or two straighterline courses and they don't want any of them to be GE or major related. I called straighterline to ask about this and the woman said "Our students call us all of the time saying that they took courses from us but the partner school they want to transfer to won't accept straighterline courses. We never know when one of our partner schools will stop accepting our courses." 

I know you are always supposed to check with the school first but it seems like better communication between straighterline and their partner colleges would help. Otherwise what is the point of having them?

Does anyone know of some partner colleges (either study.com or straighterline) that do accept a decent amount aside from the big 3? I know that no one will accept as many as the big 3 but even 30 or so credit hours would be amazing.
I agree that if you're going to be listing a school as a partner college, then you should be in regular contact with ALL of them to make sure the partnership is still good. With 111 schools listed, they could contact each school once a quarter and it would be less than 1 school per day - doesn't sound like it would take a lot out of someone's day.

I know Patten and WGU will take 90cr, and SL is included there. Liberty and APU/AMU will also take a lot, not sure of the limit, but I think it's close to 90cr.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • gremlinbrawler
Northern Arizona University takes about 36 courses from Straighterline via the Alternative Credit Project(ACP)/ACE. But most seem to be listed as electives, so I don't know if someone could, for instance, directly transfer the Straighterline Microbiology course for the NAU Microbiology course. I don't know how that works.
http://alternativecreditproject.nau.edu/
(10-16-2017, 05:19 PM)gremlinbrawler Wrote: Has anyone else had a hard time with straighterline partner colleges? 

I have been going through the list trying to find a good college but it seems that most of their partner colleges are reluctant to accept more than one or two straighterline courses and they don't want any of them to be GE or major related. I called straighterline to ask about this and the woman said "Our students call us all of the time saying that they took courses from us but the partner school they want to transfer to won't accept straighterline courses. We never know when one of our partner schools will stop accepting our courses." 

I know you are always supposed to check with the school first but it seems like better communication between straighterline and their partner colleges would help. Otherwise what is the point of having them?

Does anyone know of some partner colleges (either study.com or straighterline) that do accept a decent amount aside from the big 3? I know that no one will accept as many as the big 3 but even 30 or so credit hours would be amazing.

Did you check the transfer guides before you called? I've seen some transfer guides that made it very clear that only a couple of courses would be accepted or that most SL courses would be electives.

On the other hand, there are schools that aren't partner colleges and do accept SL courses based on ACE recommendations.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(10-16-2017, 06:31 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(10-16-2017, 05:19 PM)gremlinbrawler Wrote: Has anyone else had a hard time with straighterline partner colleges? 

Did you check the transfer guides before you called? I've seen some transfer guides that made it very clear that only a couple of courses would be accepted or that most SL courses would be electives.

On the other hand, there are schools that aren't partner colleges and do accept SL courses based on ACE recommendations.

Yes I did check the transfer guides. For one of the universities they had a pretty long list on the transfer guide but when it came down to it the transfer guide was so out dated that even the course numbers were different. Neither SL nor the University was willing to help find more recent course equivalencies.
(10-16-2017, 06:40 PM)gremlinbrawler Wrote:
(10-16-2017, 06:31 PM)sanantone Wrote:

Yes I did check the transfer guides. For one of the universities they had a pretty long list on the transfer guide but when it came down to it the transfer guide was so out dated that even the course numbers were different. Neither SL nor the University was willing to help find more recent course equivalencies.

Colleges rarely tell you much if you're not an enrolled student.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • High_Order1
Are you looking at specific colleges or universities? Or are you just wanting to know who would take over 30 credits from SL? Most schools will accept 30 credits of non traditional credits, you'll be lucky finding some that take 60-90.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
We learned that the SL units at a partner university were only transferable for the Distance Learning Undergraduate Program..

Or perhaps we just didn't fight hard enough for b&m part of the university to accept them. My kid and I got so many blank/confused stares from academic advising about ACE and/or SL units.

Luckily she was only out SL units of speech and science lab.

I'm currently working towards a degree from Liberty University, which is a SL partner college. I just took SL Business Communications and it transferred just fine into my degree plan through Liberty. I'm currently working on Accounting, which should transfer in as well. I THINK (you'll have to double-check) that Liberty will accept 30 credits. I know they will accept 30 credits from CLEP and DSST. Don't be fooled though if you contact Liberty; I initially thought they would transfer in 90 credits using CLEP and DSST, since multiple people over chat told me that; turns out, it's only 30. However, since I kept all my chats and since everyone was telling me that, they let me keep all my credits. Good luck!
[-] The following 1 user Likes studyandpass5's post:
  • gremlinbrawler

2 of my sons are using Franklin University (SL partner college). They accept 20 classes (60 cr) from Straighterline. Since SL courses are 100/200 level, they will not fill their major, however, because of the imperfect way the business core and business electives fall (level not important, just meeting the requirement), I was able to arrange another 18 credits via their community college's certificate program that will transfer perfectly. We do not have an evaluation to see if their other course credit transfers at all (TEEX, Sophia, random dual enrollment) but either way, they are both going to land really close to the full acceptable credit limit for that college- which in a perfect world would be 90 credits. Know that they are earning BS degrees in Logistics, so other majors may be different- and for generic business or liberal arts majors, there's no reason not to use one of the big 3 and get a better transfer.
For our purposes, anything better than 72 is a winner. For their remaining credit, they will receive a SL partner scholarship for 10% off tuition, and both qualify for a Pell Grant, so after all the math, I'm totally good with their final price. The final price will be covered through employer reimbursement for a few thousand per year (we'll divide the remaining credits over TWO fiscal years for that purpose - which will be about 18 months in reality) It is also possible, though not part of the equation, that they will qualify for additional scholarships once they matriculate, but that would just be icing on the cake.

I don't know how the other partner schools work- this one was the best suited for their major, but keep working. It's like a jigsaw puzzle, and I would encourage you to keep trying the pieces from every direction - don't give up until you find a solution that fits your major, your goals, your budget, and your timeline. The extra work and effort can save a lot of time and or money (though maybe not both).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 3 389 2 hours ago
Last Post: yc1981
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 100 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,741 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 262 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 272 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 666 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 414 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 581 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,123 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore