Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Easiest/Quickest Courses from Saylor.org
(10-18-2017, 12:45 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Here is the degree plan for the BSAST in TS, updated so you can see what you need to take.

If I were you, I would sign up for Study.com and take Project Management and at least 1 other course.

I think with you being military, the pricing is different than I show, so you won't need to worry about the Study.com affiliate membership, although you might want to see if it will get you out of the cornerstone at the least ($300 savings).

The only other issue you're going to have is the science requirement.  You need either Chem I & II with Labs, or Physics I & II with Labs.  Here are some ways to complete these requirements:

CHEMISTRY
1) Take Chem I w/Lab at SL.  Take Chem II w/Lab at a CC like Rio Salado.
2) Take the Chemistry CLEP, which is equivalent to Chem I & II.  Take the Chem I Lab at SL.  Take the Chem II Lab at Rio Salado or another CC.
3) Take Chem I at Shmoop or Study.com.  Take Chem I Lab at SL.  Take the Chem II Lab at Rio Salado or another CC.

PHYSICS
1) Take Physics I w/Lab at SL.  Take Physics II w/Lab at a CC like Rio Salado.
2) Take Physics I & II through Saylor.  Take the Physics I Lab at SL.  Take the Physics II Lab at Rio Salado or another CC.
3) Take Physics I at Shmoop or Study.com.  Take Physics I Lab at SL.  Take the Physics II Lab at Rio Salado or another CC.
4) Take the Physics UExcel exam (counts as Physics I & II).  Take the Physics I Lab at SL.  Take the Physics II Lab at Rio Salado or another CC.

You are just 9 courses (29cr) away from your degree, and most of these can be taken via CLEP/DSST if you want to save money, which is awesome.  You can also apply for the Study.com/Guardian scholarship if you want to get 6 free courses.

Good luck!

Thank you so much. That got me excited. 

Why do I need to take the CHEM/PHYS II LABS at another CC? Is SL won't suffice that requirement? If so, can I just take a course at Rio Salado (Assuming everything is online) without all the reqs of admission/degree -lanning, etc. 

I'm currently overseas so that's the challenge.

Also, with the credits i have, can i get the BOG AAS soon while working on my BSAST in TS? It will help out for my evaluation in March.
Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM in Mathematics - 54/61  (Graduate by June 2020)
ASNSM in Computer Science - 55/61 (Graduate by June 2020)
BS in Health Services Technology - 106/120 (Graduate by December 2020)
BSBA General Management - 72/120 (Graduate by December 2020)

US Military Apprenticeship Program
Certificate in Medical Secretary - Earned in 2019
Certificate in Dental Assisting - Earned in 2019
[-] The following 1 user Likes docmarvin's post:
  • graduatesoon
Yup, that's the only challenge, the course II & labs are not offered by the usual providers.
Sadly, Davar/Saylor/Shmoop/Straighterline/Study.com doesn't offer the course II labs...
You can get the first year chem or physics with labs as per dfrecore's posts, but not second year easily.

I would suggest applying for the BOG AAS right away since you're not going to add credits to it.
They only require 60 credits, 12 from a B&M/Regionally Accredited school. The rest can be ACE.
They take a VERY long time to complete, so I would suggest both WVNCC and Pierpont.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
If you want the BOG degree, you should apply NOW! They take so long to get it done - it's free, but it's a case of you get what you pay for. Zero communication. But at least you'll get the degree, I guess.

Your other option, if you want to be certain, is to get the AA at TESU. Since you're already so close to getting the BSAST, you could do it. I'm not sure how military works for pricing, someone else can help with that. But, it's worth a shot. You might even get the AA at the same time as the BSAST if you sign up for the capstone now, and take it in November.

Take Speech, the info lit requirement, the diversity requirement, the civic engagement requirement, and a computer course that's not CIS-301, and you have an AA at TESU. You're going to need all of those courses for the BSAST anyway, so it's perfect to do this. The residency waiver should then be able to be used for the BSAST as long as you get it within a year (check first), so it's definitely doable.

You can easily do those 5 courses by Dec 31, and apply on Jan 1 for March graduation.

Good luck!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-18-2017, 12:30 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If you want the BOG degree, you should apply NOW!  They take so long to get it done - it's free, but it's a case of you get what you pay for.  Zero communication.  But at least you'll get the degree, I guess.

Your other option, if you want to be certain, is to get the AA at TESU.  Since you're already so close to getting the BSAST, you could do it.  I'm not sure how military works for pricing, someone else can help with that.  But, it's worth a shot.  You might even get the AA at the same time as the BSAST if you sign up for the capstone now, and take it in November.

Take Speech, the info lit requirement, the diversity requirement, the civic engagement requirement, and a computer course that's not CIS-301, and you have an AA at TESU.  You're going to need all of those courses for the BSAST anyway, so it's perfect to do this.  The residency waiver should then be able to be used for the BSAST as long as you get it within a year (check first), so it's definitely doable.

You can easily do those 5 courses by Dec 31, and apply on Jan 1 for March graduation.

Good luck!

I'm paying on my own and currently don't have that money for the residency waiver. I might be able to apply for tuition assistance for the capstone but it if I submit a request now, it won't probably get approve asap. A lot of routing of the request.

Is there like installment plan on the residency waiver? Everything seems going fast, I will be on leave too for a month with family in the Philippines after Christmas. So I don't think I'll just try my luck on the BOG AAS. I expect to be back in the US in July of next year so maybe I can get those scince lab in there. 

Just reactivated my SL. I took two days off from plus the weekend. Hoping to finish 1 course this week!

(10-18-2017, 05:18 PM)docmarvin Wrote: I'm paying on my own and currently don't have that money for the residency waiver. I might be able to apply for tuition assistance for the capstone but it if I submit a request now, it won't probably get approve asap. A lot of routing of the request.

Is there like installment plan on the residency waiver? Everything seems going fast, I will be on leave too for a month with family in the Philippines after Christmas. So I don't think I'll just try my luck on the BOG AAS. I expect to be back in the US in July of next year so maybe I can get those scince lab in there. 

Just reactivated my SL. I took two days off from plus the weekend. Hoping to finish 1 course this week!

I honestly have no idea about this, but I seem to recall something about military folks not needing to pay the residency waiver?  Not entirely certain I have that right, but you should definitely check into it.  If you can get it done through TECEP exams, then you'll want to do those instead of anything else first.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The residency waiver is not required if you're on the military plan, but that requires 24 credits in residence. TECEPs and portfolio assessments can be used to meet the residency requirement.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(10-18-2017, 07:30 PM)sanantone Wrote: The residency waiver is not required if you're on the military plan, but that requires 24 credits in residence. TECEPs and portfolio assessments can be used to meet the residency requirement.

Thank you sanantone for letting me know that I haven't lost my mind completely!

So docmarvin, your best bet is to take 8 TECEP's:
1) Technical Communication (for the oral comm requirement)
2) Technical Writing (for the Info Lit Requirement)
3) Sociology (for the Diversity requirement)
4) Comparative Politics (for the Civic Engagement requirement)
5) Computer Concepts & Applications (required for the BSAST)
6-8) Anything you want

For $936, you get all of the requirements for the AA and most of the BSAST taken care of, and though you have to take 3 exams that you don't need, you've still saved $864 plus anything you would have paid for those courses (if anything).

Also, for the AA for residency, I'm not sure if you need 24cr, or only 12cr?  If you only need 12, then just take the 5 courses you need and you're done.  You can finish the last 3 later.

Hope that helps!
(10-18-2017, 09:33 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 07:30 PM)sanantone Wrote: The residency waiver is not required if you're on the military plan, but that requires 24 credits in residence. TECEPs and portfolio assessments can be used to meet the residency requirement.

Thank you sanantone for letting me know that I haven't lost my mind completely!

So docmarvin, your best bet is to take 8 TECEP's:
1) Technical Communication (for the oral comm requirement)
2) Technical Writing (for the Info Lit Requirement)
3) Sociology (for the Diversity requirement)
4) Comparative Politics (for the Civic Engagement requirement)
5) Computer Concepts & Applications (required for the BSAST)
6-8) Anything you want

For $936, you get all of the requirements for the AA and most of the BSAST taken care of, and though you have to take 3 exams that you don't need, you've still saved $864 plus anything you would have paid for those courses (if anything).

Also, for the AA for residency, I'm not sure if you need 24cr, or only 12cr?  If you only need 12, then just take the 5 courses you need and you're done.  You can finish the last 3 later.

Hope that helps!

Don't have experience on TECEPs. Is that something I have to take at a test center or can be done at home via ProctorU or other means of proctoring?

Yes, they are done online with ProctorU.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • docmarvin
DETOUR IN PLAN.

Since it looks like I will be making a downgrade to ASAST in Technical Studies for a good reason. I am coming up for selection of next duty station. I am considering to become an instructor in our Technical School (Navy "A" School). One of the requirement is the Associates Degree (or at least upon application, I am 8-10 credits away in finishing that degree). Since it looks like I'm gonna have a road block for my BSAST because of the Physics 2 Lab, I decided to go on this route.

ASAST in TS

-Technical Studies (18/18sh)

-Assosiate Capstone (0/3sh)

-General Education:
A. Intellectual Skills (3/15sh)
1. English Comp 1 - Vincennes
2. English Comp 2 - SL (almost done. few more essays remaining)
3. Speech - (SL or if I get accepted to become instructor, I go to school for a month and I believe Speech 101 is added to JST)
4. World Religion - SL (about to schedule Final Exam)
5. College Algebra - CLEP
B. Civic Learning (2/9sh)
1. Diversity - Sociology - SL (about to schedule Final Exam)
2. Ethics - The Institutes
3. American Govt - SL (next after the SOC & REL)
C. Human Cultures (6/6sh)
1. Humanities I - Vincennes
2. General Pscy - Vincennes
D. Natural World (0/8sh)
1. Physics I with Lab - SL
2. Physics II wih Lab - SL & Rio Solado/CC

-Free Electives (1/1sh)

So if I play this right, I will have these courses remaining:

Associate Capstone (3sh)
Physics II Lab (1sh)
Speech (3sh) - debating if I want to pay for this/get it for free

Back to the Short term GOAL - Get accepted as an INSTRUCTOR.
- Met requirements (Associates/or be between 8-10 credits away)

If I apply now, how long does evaluation takes place? My first look for orders is tomorrow. I have to submit application where I want to go next. I will put in comments that by let's say December, I can be a t 7 credits away for my Associates Degree. I have to provide proof (transcript) that I really am 7 credits shy. If none of my choices of next duty station gets approved, I will have my final look end of December.

If I get selected as an instructor, I'll continue getting my requirements for BSAST so that once I transferred in July, I will just ask the school to change my degree plan to BS take the lab and BSAST Capstone. I don't want to pay for the residency waiver just for associate.

Is this plan going to work? My main concern is the evaluation process of TESU. Please let me know if the timeline is possible. Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,449 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 998 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 712 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,423 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 440 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,919 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,049 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,091 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 599 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 340 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77