Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com's Personal Finance course - terrible!
I just finished, and it was torture.  Very repetitive, but also didn't include things they should, or included things they shouldn't.  And it was like they took all of the things they wanted to teach, wrote them on a piece of paper, put them in a hat, and then pulled out 10 things and made a chapter out of it - there was zero flow to the course.  It was odd.  I took the DSST exam for this and thought it covered things you actually needed to know.

Then there's the whole "quiz" thing, which in no way reflects the material you're actually tested on.  The quizzes are totally useless.  The chapter exams were much more along the lines of the exam, so I'm really not sure why quizzes are required (they shouldn't be) but chapter tests aren't (and they should be).  Just a weird way to set up this course.

I have 5 more to take, and I sincerely hope they are better than this one.  A terrible introduction to the study.com universe if there ever was one!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
So you didn't like it? Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • dfrecore
They seem to repeat the main concepts to make sure you know and remember those. Some people like how they "drill it into your head". Especially if think it's a harder concept, they might have multiple lessons with the same topic, each with one new piece of information to build upon the concept. However, especially for an LL course, sometimes they are pretty simple concepts. This is part of why people say it's high school level material. They teach it like you're in HS and need all the hand holding, at least for some concepts of some courses.

(10-19-2017, 03:45 PM)Ideas Wrote: They seem to repeat the main concepts to make sure you know and remember those. Some people like how they "drill it into your head". Especially if think it's a harder concept, they might have multiple lessons with the same topic, each with one new piece of information to build upon the concept. However, especially for an LL course, sometimes they are pretty simple concepts. This is part of why people say it's high school level material. They teach it like you're in HS and need all the hand holding, at least for some concepts of some courses.

Naw, if it was just that, I wouldn't complain.  It's truly terrible in their being all over the place with the different concepts.  Just random.  I would expect a chapter on credit to go over what's credit, what's a credit score, different things that affect it, how you can improve it, how it can get ruined, etc.  For whatever reason, credit scores don't come in until Chapter 3/Lesson 4, and FICO isn't until Ch3/Lesson 6.  Then they throw in Present & Future Value of Money and Maturity Dates of Loans, neither of which have anything at all to do with Credit.  Oh, and they only present debt as a good thing, a tool, without really going over all of the problems you may have.  Never discuss defaulting on a loan.  Getting in over your head.  Having too many credit cards (also can be a problem for your FICO score).

Things are just really presented in a kooky, random order.  It's like no one spent time trying to organize it into logical chapters.

I would NOT suggest my child go through this course at all.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-19-2017, 02:46 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I just finished, and it was torture.  Very repetitive, but also didn't include things they should, or included things they shouldn't.  And it was like they took all of the things they wanted to teach, wrote them on a piece of paper, put them in a hat, and then pulled out 10 things and made a chapter out of it - there was zero flow to the course.  It was odd.  I took the DSST exam for this and thought it covered things you actually needed to know.

Then there's the whole "quiz" thing, which in no way reflects the material you're actually tested on.  The quizzes are totally useless.  The chapter exams were much more along the lines of the exam, so I'm really not sure why quizzes are required (they shouldn't be) but chapter tests aren't (and they should be).  Just a weird way to set up this course.

I have 5 more to take, and I sincerely hope they are better than this one.  A terrible introduction to the study.com universe if there ever was one!

I told you that Study.com's course designers are downright terrible. Does anyone ever wonder how Study.com pumps out all these new courses so quickly? They put just enough effort to get ACE approval, and now they're favoring NCCRS approval because NCCRS hands out UL recommendations like candy.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(10-19-2017, 05:16 PM)sanantone Wrote: I told you that Study.com's course designers are downright terrible. Does anyone ever wonder how Study.com pumps out all these new courses so quickly? They put just enough effort to get ACE approval, and now they're favoring NCCRS approval because NCCRS hands out UL recommendations like candy.

Ugh.  Not looking forward to taking more, even though they're free.  But, I am really hoping that the rest are better...

I know you had a thing for spoon-feeding tiny bites, and I get that complaint as it's not really college-level learning.  Mine is more along the lines of requiring the quizzes which have NOTHING to do with the final exam.  I mean, what is the point of that?  Why wouldn't they require the chapter tests instead, which are much closer to preparing you for the final?

And why isn't SL putting out more courses??  I can't figure that one out either.
I never did the optional chapter tests, but the three Study.com courses I did seemed to mostly take final exam questions from the quizzes. Not identical wording but similar concepts. So hopefully it will get better for you.

But the spoon-feeding complaint that Sanantone has won't get any better for you, they're all like that. I get the complaint, but it worked well for me because I have a terrible attention span so I liked the small chunks of info at a time and the instant gratification of getting the quiz questions right.

The presentation could be a little more "adult," but I get the impression their target audience was initially high school kids looking to get a jump on ACE credit.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • acethroughcollege, ndelco
Yep, a lot of people like the bite-sized quizzes. Also, for someone who is struggling with the material, if you end up getting questions wrong, and redoing the quiz 2 or 3 times, then it takes longer. Still short enough with retakes to be done in between other activities.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • ndelco
My personal favorite: talking about off-shore bank accounts to avoid taxes. Really? Is that truly something we're encouraging young, impressionable adults to look into?
I'm doing Hist 108, one of the Vietnam war options, and oooof. It's a quick class, I only started it on Monday and I could've been done by now if I wanted but I was just tired of listening to the same concepts over and over again so I'm spacing it out over the week (honestly, even spacing it out I'll likely still be done and just do my final on tomorrow instead of the weekend to be done with it). The quizzes seem unnecessary given the actual final questions are completely different and it gets just plain boring to read/listen/watch the same thing over and over again.
I know people aren't fans of Schmoop but I think I'm looking forward to the challenge compared to Study!
Working towards BALS at TESU

Transfer:
 41 credits 

Currently working on: 
Language and Literacy in Education (OnlineDegree)

Completed:
Study.com: Personal Finance 102, History 108, Psychology 106, Psychology 104, Communications 120, Religion 101

Free: Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for Professionals

CLEP (free through Modern States): American Government, A+I Lit, American Lit, History of the US 1
(10-19-2017, 06:20 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(10-19-2017, 05:16 PM)sanantone Wrote: I told you that Study.com's course designers are downright terrible. Does anyone ever wonder how Study.com pumps out all these new courses so quickly? They put just enough effort to get ACE approval, and now they're favoring NCCRS approval because NCCRS hands out UL recommendations like candy.

Ugh.  Not looking forward to taking more, even though they're free.  But, I am really hoping that the rest are better...

I know you had a thing for spoon-feeding tiny bites, and I get that complaint as it's not really college-level learning.  Mine is more along the lines of requiring the quizzes which have NOTHING to do with the final exam.  I mean, what is the point of that?  Why wouldn't they require the chapter tests instead, which are much closer to preparing you for the final?

And why isn't SL putting out more courses??  I can't figure that one out either.

That wasn't my only complaint. The courses don't fail to be at the college level due to the spoon feeding. They fail to be at the college level because the material and concepts are not at the college level. It's similar to the difference between social studies in elementary school and history in college or Algebra I in high school and college algebra. What you learn in college is more advanced.

My other complaint is that they require an astronomical number of quizzes that are nothing but time wasters.

(10-19-2017, 07:13 PM)Doodlebabe Wrote: My personal favorite: talking about off-shore bank accounts to avoid taxes. Really? Is that truly something we're encouraging young, impressionable adults to look into?
I'm doing Hist 108, one of the Vietnam war options, and oooof. It's a quick class, I only started it on Monday and I could've been done by now if I wanted but I was just tired of listening to the same concepts over and over again so I'm spacing it out over the week (honestly, even spacing it out I'll likely still be done and just do my final on tomorrow instead of the weekend to be done with it). The quizzes seem unnecessary given the actual final questions are completely different and it gets just plain boring to read/listen/watch the same thing over and over again.
I know people aren't fans of Schmoop but I think I'm looking forward to the challenge compared to Study!

I find it hard to believe that Study.com hires subject matter experts. They definitely don't hire people who are competent in instructional design and pedagogy.

What's the point of grasping the information if it's

1. Wrong
2. Doesn't even come close to covering the full breadth of material
3. At the high school level?

I don't understand pretending to care about learning a subject, but not caring to learn it at the college level. In the end, you're just checking the box, so don't pretend you care about learning. If you actually cared about learning, you would be opting for better classes.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,366 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,599 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,491 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 363 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 754 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 365 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,906 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 593 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 313 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue