Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com's Personal Finance course - terrible!
Personally, I never listened to a single video. I read the transcripts (or not), and took the quizzes. I also liked their app, I would take the quizzes while waiting on line, watching my kids, etc.

Truth is, I'm not sure that all my college classes were college level, either! Right now all i need is the credits, so its fine for me.
Goal: BSBA in Accounting through TESU, 150 credits, Credits so far: 137/150
Received: A.S. in Business Administration, Aug. 2016

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
TECEP: Strategic Management Capstone (72)
Aleks: Statistics (71!)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
The Institutes: (76)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
Study.com:  Costing, ?
Saylor: Intro to political Science?, Management Info. Systems?
TEEX
[-] The following 1 user Likes sarg123's post:
  • a2jc4life
(10-22-2017, 01:09 AM)sarg123 Wrote: Personally, I never listened to a single video. I read the transcripts (or not), and took the quizzes. I also liked their app, I would take the quizzes while waiting on line, watching my kids, etc.

Truth is, I'm  not sure that all my college classes were college level, either!  Right now all i need is the credits, so its fine for me.

This is me too. I have some Gen Ed requirements to knock out so I'm doing the 6 I got on scholarship and it's going great. I don't watch the videos because I learn better from reading. At any rate, I like the classes have learned a lot from the ones I didn't already know something about. Esp for lower level credits, it's been fine. The public speaking course, Engl comp courses, and Intro to World Religion has been on par with what our local well-respected community college is doing.
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
Study.com to me is pretty good for their structure. I know this sounds silly but I prefer some type of animation or something than watching a video series of a professor standing there scrolling through slides or writing things on the board. Some of the animations give it a story that help you understand concepts. The personal finance course to me was the easiest I've taken out of all the ones on study.com. I actually learned some things in the other study.com courses as well. Personal finance though helped me understand some of the basic concepts. It got me started on managing my own finances or figuring out what i wanted to learn more of. The quizzes yes maybe 1-2 questions are on the finals but majority of the finals is more of testing you knowing the concepts. Though some courses the lessons are arranged a bit weird so i usually leave a feed back for them to move things around to flow better. I like how there is a lesson summary as well at the end of each lesson. The study.com app though i wish there was a way for the text to turn on subtitles lol yea i watch it with subtitles. The other things is grading for your assignments on study.com has definitely been much slower than before =/

In the end people have their opinions about everything. no 1 has the right answers or is right. but every one is right about their own opinions =).

If you want to manage your finances there is a free one year sub to students with an edu email on youneedabudget.com < a lot of people use this to manage their budget. personal finance touches on the concept a bit and i went on to find more about budgeting and found that software.

Along with amazon prime free 6 months with $49 dollars a year
Spotify +hulu is also for only 4.99
Office 365 as well
My Plan: Earn a MSML or a MBA at WGU!
//And it was like they took all of the things they wanted to teach, wrote them on a piece of paper, put them in a hat, and then pulled out 10 things and made a chapter out of it - there was zero flow to the course. It was odd. //

I agree. They're pretty scattershot. I think it's because they have a bunch of different people write lessons for the same course. It doesn't appear that they start with a clear plan and look for those individual writers to work together well.

I only took two Study.com courses, I think, including this one (I meant to take more, but the timing was bad), and I hated them both.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com charged me another month without my consent Livia_Drusila 2 39 1 hour ago
Last Post: Livia_Drusila
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,425 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,615 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,032 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 372 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 759 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 367 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,038 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,911 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 595 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle