Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEWB - Overwhelmed looking for help
Yep, sorry I didn't reply sooner - 14+ hours in the car over the 24 hours to visit the in-laws for Christmas. ugghhh! Anyway, the WIKI is very helpful.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
(12-22-2017, 07:52 PM)Alibaba_Gonzales Wrote:
(12-20-2017, 01:55 PM)rlw74 Wrote: The free courses are a great way to get started. I took the insurance ethics course in one day. I took one of the TEEX courses over a weekend.

@rlw74: thanks for the info! For us newbies, could you be so kind as to elaborate what 'free courses' are, and where to get them? I'm specially interested in the ethics course. Anything 'FREE' sounds good to me.  

Thank you bunches!  

Baloo.

(12-22-2017, 07:52 PM)eBaloo Wrote:
(12-20-2017, 01:55 PM)rlw74 Wrote: The free courses are a great way to get started. I took the insurance ethics course in one day. I took one of the TEEX courses over a weekend.

@rlw74: thanks for the info! For us newbies, could you be so kind as to elaborate what 'free courses' are, and where to get them? I'm specially interested in the ethics course. Anything 'FREE' sounds good to me.  Cool

Thank you bunches!  

Baloo.

I found the answer  is on the WIKI: http://degreeforum.wikia.com/wiki/Free_S..._of_Credit

Pretty cool WIKI! Many thanks to all those who contributed!  

Cheers,

Baloo

Thank you!
(10-29-2017, 08:16 AM)HAYDENTREE77 Wrote: I've been perusing the site for some time but I could really use some direction / help. 

I'm a user interface designer and I've been in the field for over 20 years and have been very successful even with a lack of a degree but if I were to lose my job I would be in big trouble not having a Bachelors - even with an in -demand skillset. I have an old Associates Degree from the Art Institute (before they were regionally accredited so no transfers allowed). I have applied to TESU and Excelsior and both accepted me. I need to be able to tick that box. I had an interview Friday and the conversation went fantastic until I had to explain my degree situation. I could tell by the tone that it was over. With that being said, this is something I must do. I have decided on TESU but want to test out the maximum before registering. 

I'm having difficulty on deciding on a degree path. I'm terrible at Math and know that is going to be a major hurdle for me so I want the least amount of Math possible. I did read something about a General Studies path??? But can't recall exactly what it is. I really do need this to go as fast and easy as possible as my workload at my job is heavy. 

I would also like input from some folks that work full-time and have long commutes. I work 9-6 and that's fairly consistent but my commute is 1 hr each way by train. I'm hoping I would be able to study during that commute time. 

I'm not even sure if this is realistic. I also wanted to get info on the best resources to past the test. I really don't want to read a 600 page book if possible. Flash cards, videos etc would be great as I'm an auditory learner. 

Something I forgot. What is better or is the information about the same between this forum and "degree info"? I'm really liking this but wanted to ask.

Any thoughts on a plan, direction or any helpful feedback would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hi Hayden, 
I'm in the same field as you, hate math, and have a looooong commute. I'm now three classes away from graduation (minus my capstone). Have you looked into Charter Oak's Information Studies degree? It's little math (statistics and logic) and focuses mainly on business and IT courses, which should be a breeze for you, having been exposed to working with backend developers. Plus, it covers some UI aspects. 

I took Statistics via Sophia.org. At $350, it was a little pricey, but still cheaper than paying for COSC's courses. If you sign up for three classes, you get the classes half off. So I ended up paying less than $500 for 9 credit hours. I've found Sophia to be a forgiving format if you're not a math person. Many of the questions are non-math, but definitions or applicable to real life scenarios. If I can pass, you surely can. I passed in the 95% range to give you an idea. 

I took COSC's Logic course, also receiving an A. It was honestly a fun course too. Mostly full of logic questions and riddles, and how to identify fallacies. 

If you'd like to speak to Ann Gagnon, who is my advisor, I'm sure she would make time to do that. And I could DM you her info, before you even decided to explore that option. I looked in to Excelsior and Thomas Edison, but they were going to take me a lot longer with a similar background as yourself. 

Not saying I haven't had some issues with COSC along the way, but it's been the best option for me. Especially since I consider myself somewhat educationally "high maintenance", as in I ask a lot of questions and like to have individual attention from my advisor and instructors.

Kel

Also, here's a free 1cr. course by Sophia.org, if you want to test out the format before investing the cash. Like I said it's not cheap unless you purchase the 3 courses at once, but this is a good way to test drive. https://www.sophia.org/online-courses/de...tive-teams

One more thing. You'll slowly get used to the proctored sessions as a necessary, but annoying component. My first live proctored exam was for a Technical Writing DSST, so it was almost like being back in high school where someone intently watches you take your test. It made me nervous, but nothing made me as nervous as knowing that another person was viewing my computer screen, which is the case with ProctorU.

But with each test, you will get more confident and learn to ignore the fact that someone is watching. You'll get used to it after a couple tests.  Smile

Kel
[-] The following 2 users Like GoldieLux's post:
  • HAYDENTREE77, McAllis430
(01-01-2018, 04:37 PM)GoldieLux Wrote:
(10-29-2017, 08:16 AM)HAYDENTREE77 Wrote: I've been perusing the site for some time but I could really use some direction / help. 

I'm a user interface designer and I've been in the field for over 20 years and have been very successful even with a lack of a degree but if I were to lose my job I would be in big trouble not having a Bachelors - even with an in -demand skillset. I have an old Associates Degree from the Art Institute (before they were regionally accredited so no transfers allowed). I have applied to TESU and Excelsior and both accepted me. I need to be able to tick that box. I had an interview Friday and the conversation went fantastic until I had to explain my degree situation. I could tell by the tone that it was over. With that being said, this is something I must do. I have decided on TESU but want to test out the maximum before registering. 

I'm having difficulty on deciding on a degree path. I'm terrible at Math and know that is going to be a major hurdle for me so I want the least amount of Math possible. I did read something about a General Studies path??? But can't recall exactly what it is. I really do need this to go as fast and easy as possible as my workload at my job is heavy. 

I would also like input from some folks that work full-time and have long commutes. I work 9-6 and that's fairly consistent but my commute is 1 hr each way by train. I'm hoping I would be able to study during that commute time. 

I'm not even sure if this is realistic. I also wanted to get info on the best resources to past the test. I really don't want to read a 600 page book if possible. Flash cards, videos etc would be great as I'm an auditory learner. 

Something I forgot. What is better or is the information about the same between this forum and "degree info"? I'm really liking this but wanted to ask.

Any thoughts on a plan, direction or any helpful feedback would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hi Hayden, 
I'm in the same field as you, hate math, and have a looooong commute. I'm now three classes away from graduation (minus my capstone). Have you looked into Charter Oak's Information Studies degree? It's little math (statistics and logic) and focuses mainly on business and IT courses, which should be a breeze for you, having been exposed to working with backend developers. Plus, it covers some UI aspects. 

I took Statistics via Sophia.org. At $350, it was a little pricey, but still cheaper than paying for COSC's courses. If you sign up for three classes, you get the classes half off. So I ended up paying less than $500 for 9 credit hours. I've found Sophia to be a forgiving format if you're not a math person. Many of the questions are non-math, but definitions or applicable to real life scenarios. If I can pass, you surely can. I passed in the 95% range to give you an idea. 

I took COSC's Logic course, also receiving an A. It was honestly a fun course too. Mostly full of logic questions and riddles, and how to identify fallacies. 

If you'd like to speak to Ann Gagnon, who is my advisor, I'm sure she would make time to do that. And I could DM you her info, before you even decided to explore that option. I looked in to Excelsior and Thomas Edison, but they were going to take me a lot longer with a similar background as yourself. 

Not saying I haven't had some issues with COSC along the way, but it's been the best option for me. Especially since I consider myself somewhat educationally "high maintenance", as in I ask a lot of questions and like to have individual attention from my advisor and instructors.

Kel

Also, here's a free 1cr. course by Sophia.org, if you want to test out the format before investing the cash. Like I said it's not cheap unless you purchase the 3 courses at once, but this is a good way to test drive. https://www.sophia.org/online-courses/de...tive-teams

One more thing. You'll slowly get used to the proctored sessions as a necessary, but annoying component. My first live proctored exam was for a Technical Writing DSST, so it was almost like being back in high school where someone intently watches you take your test. It made me nervous, but nothing made me as nervous as knowing that another person was viewing my computer screen, which is the case with ProctorU.

But with each test, you will get more confident and learn to ignore the fact that someone is watching. You'll get used to it after a couple tests.  Smile

Kel
Hey there. Thank you for this. I have a lot to consider! Appreciate it.
My original program at the big three was the COSC IS concentration, so I can help there too. My info is a little dated. 2014-2015, but most should still apply.

Logic doesn't have to be math, it can be a programming class.
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976
(01-01-2018, 08:13 PM)ajs1976a Wrote: My original program at the big three was the COSC IS concentration, so I can help there too. My info is a little dated. 2014-2015, but most should still apply.

Logic doesn't have to be math, it can be a programming class.
Sounds good. Going to peruse their site. Thanks again.
Don't forget that COSC is free to apply to until Jan 5, 2018 - https://www.charteroak.edu.  If it is an option of the big three you're interested in - don't lose out on this offer (I have never seen them run a free application period).  Even if it takes you a little while to get your transcripts in order, get the application in - $75 is money better spent towards other credits (or transcript fees)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  newb here with some questions you havent answered 100 times! Ericmcdonald 18 3,881 06-26-2017, 11:01 PM
Last Post: dcan
  Overwhelmed! Where should I start? Degreegirl1 12 1,779 10-06-2016, 12:10 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Oh my garsh overwhelmed with what to do for my kids for each of their degrees?- HELP geissingert 47 4,056 09-20-2014, 02:13 AM
Last Post: Photog
  General newb questions thill 6 875 04-09-2013, 09:34 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  I am a bit overwhelmed and could use some help forming a degree plan pokesql 2 698 03-03-2013, 09:49 AM
Last Post: Gaz
  New to this and overwhelmed.. susitna1 3 834 02-26-2013, 07:47 AM
Last Post: merolpn