Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lie or Mistake?
(11-06-2017, 08:12 PM)jsd Wrote: According to this site, they do all of those things.

(11-06-2017, 08:18 PM)aviator guy Wrote: ..
That being said, a county school board would be involved with most of the issues you mentioned, including budgets.  They would be responsible for oversight of the county school system, and in the case of Montgomery county, 20 different elementary, middle and high schools (if Wikipedia is correct).

strange 
I'm going to have to research my childhood county 

I know we had 3 incorporated towns and at least 3 non-incorporated "towns" 
our "big 3" each had their own police and fire department and each had its own elementary, middle and high school 

we didn't have a county tax, just a town sales tax  
I have no idea if the other towns had a sales tax or not 

I just can't see it making sense that a county school board would set budgets for towns of 5k people when the towns are miles apart from each other 
and the only thing the towns remotely have in common is the football schedule LOL

(11-06-2017, 08:51 PM)bluebooger Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 08:12 PM)jsd Wrote: According to this site, they do all of those things.

That being said, a county school board would be involved with most of the issues you mentioned, including budgets.  They would be responsible for oversight of the county school system, and in the case of Montgomery county, 20 different elementary, middle and high schools (if Wikipedia is correct).

strange 

our "big 3" each had their own police and fire department and each had its own elementary, middle and high school 

I just can't see it making sense that a county school board would set budgets for towns of 5k people when the towns are miles apart from each other 
and the only thing the towns remotely have in common is the football schedule LOL

In Texas, school boards represent school districts. Some cities have many school districts. Some cities have a consolidated school district. Some counties have a consolidated school district. Hays County has a school district, but it only covers the areas not covered by the San Marcos Independent School District. San Marcos is the biggest city in Hays County.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Classic political backpedaling. She committed to a stupid lie, then got caught, then lied to get out of the lie, and will probably not be vindicated by any amount of work she does from this point forward.

This is why I don't lie as a general rule -- too risky.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
(11-06-2017, 09:40 PM)sanantone Wrote:

strange 

In Texas, school boards represent school districts. Some cities have many school districts. Some cities have a consolidated school district. Some counties have a consolidated school district. Hays County has a school district, but it only covers the areas not covered by the San Marcos Independent School District. San Marcos is the biggest city in Hays County.

Here in CA, school boards also represent school districts, similar to Texas from what it sounds.  School costs are paid for here by property taxes, not sales taxes.  That is why crappy areas have crappy schools, and nice areas have nice schools.  Completely unfair, and I have advocated a better system for years.  Why should you get to go to a nicer school entirely based on how much money your parents make?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-07-2017, 01:43 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 09:40 PM)sanantone Wrote:

strange 

Here in CA, school boards also represent school districts, similar to Texas from what it sounds.  School costs are paid for here by property taxes, not sales taxes.  That is why crappy areas have crappy schools, and nice areas have nice schools.  Completely unfair, and I have advocated a better system for years.  Why should you get to go to a nicer school entirely based on how much money your parents make?

Our schools are also paid for by property taxes. To try to make up for the disparity in home values and to respond to the school finance system being ruled unconstitutional, our state created the Robin Hood plan. The state takes money from the wealthier districts and distributes it to poorer districts. This hasn't worked out well either because this is also unconstitutional. The Texas constitution doesn't allow for a state property tax; property taxes are to only be collected locally. However, the Texas Supreme Court said that the current school finance system is constitutional, albeit, awful. It places a heavy burden on local governments because there is a limit to how much they can tax properties, and high property taxes are a pain for property owners.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
While it is plausible that changing from quarter to semester hour would have screwed over her/a lot of students, graduation is a clear process that results in an actual degree. Leaving college with credit (in any amount) doesn't make you a graduate.

An associate degree is 90 quarter credits (60 semester hours) so if it is roughly the same set up as a 20-class associate, she would have earned 4.5 credits per course and it would have been a seamless transition. Every 4.5 would have = 3.0 and she'd be fine. (plus, it would be reasonable that the college wouldn't have required anyone to meet any requirements that weren't already part of their catalog)
If her college used 3.0 quarter credits, each would only come in as 2.68, which can be a problem (we've seen that often at TESU and how they handle it)

BUT- this is the smoking gun:

"Tammy Smith, coordinator of Admissions and Records at NRCC, wrote in an email on Monday the school does have dates of attendance for Dana Partin (whose maiden name is Altizer) during the fall of 1987 through spring 1996 with some enrollment breaks during that time."

She wasn't a full time enrolled student that was wronged, she was an on-again-off-again student who wasn't locked into a catalog or working with a permanent advisor. When the college changed systems, her credit calculation showed she needed extra courses - maybe even electives- and she opted not to do it. She presents a picture of a student who went to high school and then college (traditionally) but the truth (which is much more common) is that she spent 9 years working on this degree- which she never did finish.

She doesn't get my vote (as if anyone is asking lol) because she lied about her education for an education position. I don't think anyone would have cared otherwise, but it shows disrespect for the nuances of the education system - so for that reason, I'm out.

This isn't really the same, but reminded me of a situation about 7 years ago. There were a bunch of chefs assembling to form a committee, and you had to have a bachelor's degree. I posted this on my personal FB page, and a former student of mine stepped forward. (my student's earned associate degrees). He told me he'd love to be onboard and his bachelor's was from UNLV. So, we all went forward. My task was to collect documents, so when I messaged him to send me a diploma, he back peddled and told me he didn't have one, but was only "1 class short" of graduating and should still be on the committee. I asked him why he didn't just go back and do that last class, he said it was so long ago now and he was so busy that he just didn't have time and wasn't going to bother. He didn't get on the committee, however, in his chef biography, he absolutely has his UNLV "degree" listed!
(11-07-2017, 07:57 AM)cookderosa Wrote: While it is plausible that changing from quarter to semester hour would have screwed over her/a lot of students, graduation is a clear process that results in an actual degree.  Leaving college with credit (in any amount) doesn't make you a graduate.

An associate degree is 90 quarter credits (60 semester hours) so if it is roughly the same set up as a 20-class associate, she would have earned 4.5 credits per course and it would have been a seamless transition.  Every 4.5 would have = 3.0 and she'd be fine.  (plus, it would be reasonable that the college wouldn't have required anyone to meet any requirements that weren't already part of their catalog)
If her college used 3.0 quarter credits, each would only come in as 2.68, which can be a problem (we've seen that often at TESU and how they handle it)

BUT- this is the smoking gun:

"Tammy Smith, coordinator of Admissions and Records at NRCC, wrote in an email on Monday the school does have dates of attendance for Dana Partin (whose maiden name is Altizer) during the fall of 1987 through spring 1996 with some enrollment breaks during that time."

There are several CSU schools here in CA that have recently switched or are switching from the quarter system to the semester system.  They told students about it YEARS in advance, told what the date was going to be for each school, and tried to make it as seamless a transition as possible.  They spent $40M for 6 schools to make the switch.  They did not just say "we're switching tomorrow, I hope you have enough credits or you're screwed!"  This chick knew well in advance what was going on, and was most likely given a new eval showing what was going on and what she needed to do to graduate on time.  She just didn't do it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
That is funny. Especially the dates of attendance (1987-1996). Seems that over the course of a decade you would have talked to at least one academic advisor. You would have had to apply for graduation and you would have gotten a diploma.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
I know of several people that do the exact same thing. Not being honest about their degrees. Amazing that people would date to do it with all the clearing houses out there now!
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
lol, of course she won her election  Rolleyes
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  $7.2 million mistake... bjcheung77 0 453 09-01-2022, 01:10 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77