Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transfer 33 Graduate Credits - Excelsior MPA
(11-25-2017, 07:09 PM)cardiacclep Wrote: If a MPA is what you want I would shop around for cheaper tuition unless of course you have excellent tuition assistance. I am doing my MPA at Arkansas State U online with tuition at $294 an hour compared to Excelsior at $645 if my quick glance at their website is accurate.  I can't understand how a situation would occur to where someone would almost complete a full MPA program just to transfer to Excelsior. Also, Excelsior is not NASPAA accredited which could affect your chances at internships or some jobs in governments if that is a concern.  Not to slam Excelsior but there are cheaper perhaps better options out there. 

Check out this list: https://www.bestvalueschools.com/cheap/o...-programs/

I agree with going with a cheaper, NASPAA-accredited program. It wouldn't make sense to start at a cheap school and then transfer to Excelsior. Transferring in this many credits is only worth it if you somehow already have training evaluated at the graduate level in public administration, which would be rare. IACBE accreditation almost has no worth when it comes to public administration, so I don't know why this keeps getting used as selling point.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(11-20-2017, 11:30 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
oMegatron Wrote:This is awesome. I will definitely check out Hodges, I love the competency based model. Thanks!

I noticed you're almost done with your MBA from WGU.  Is MPA necessary?  It's mainly for individuals wanting to be working in the public sector.  What is your final goal?  If you are going to get an MPA, both Excelsior and Hodges are IACBE accredited.  

Even though you can transfer so many credits into the MPA at Excelsior, I think the Upower program at Hodges might be a better fit for you since you'll be somewhat familiar with the competency-based degree models, probably cheaper/easier/faster.

For more info on Hodges and their program see my posting here about them: http://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthre...#pid245832

Thanks for the information. I was just surprised that any graduate level program would allow the transfer of 33 hours! I have never heard of anything like this.  Yes. I am completing the MBA Capstone at WGU now and will be done with the program in the next few weeks.  An MPA is not necessary but prior to enrolling in the MBA program at WGU, I took some graduate-level coursework in Public Policy at my brick and mortar, so if I could get another degree, from taking two classes, why not! Really, I just wanted to spread the information, if anyone was indeed interested. Thanks for the response.
[-] The following 1 user Likes oMegatron's post:
  • High_Order1
(11-14-2017, 07:05 AM)oMegatron Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 06:46 AM)Ideas Wrote: Most of the graduate courses like VESi and Sophia are for education degrees. I don't think we know of any non-education degrees where you do a real chunk of the degree in that way.

However, you can do an MPA through a competency program like Hodges. They charge $3500 per term for an unlimited amount. If someone goes fast, they might be able to do it in 1 term.

This is awesome. I will definitely check out Hodges, I love the competency based model. Thanks!

If you COULD get your credits done at Hodges, why wouldn't you graduate from Hodges? What would be the advantage of transferring to EC at that point?
I am curious. Has anyone actually been able to get the MPA at Hodges done within the 6 months of a single term?
(12-22-2017, 08:53 AM)eriehiker Wrote: I am curious. Has anyone actually been able to get the MPA at Hodges done within the 6 months of a single term?

Yup, a husband, and a wife team did the MPA, each of them finished in a term. I wonder who has done the MIS within 1 term.
See my post on them - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthr...#pid245832
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-22-2017, 08:41 AM)cookderosa Wrote: If you COULD get your credits done at Hodges, why wouldn't you graduate from Hodges?  What would be the advantage of transferring to EC at that point?

IIRC, EC is a state university whilst Hodges is private. That might be one way to sort of launder your credits into something with a better pedigree.

EDIT: Was incorrect, as pointed out by JSD. Leaving post to ensure clarity.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
EC is a private non-profit.

Not that it really matters, would anyone really want some private non-profit university like Harvard over the much more prestigious state University that is TESU?? Wink
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 24 21,156 Yesterday, 01:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 885 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 65 15,178 03-06-2024, 05:33 PM
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 944 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  ENEB won't let me graduate and refusing to answer all emails and calls slayer35 41 4,470 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM
Last Post: William.H
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,591 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Strategies to aquire 18 credits and teach jb111 5 389 02-05-2024, 02:00 AM
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,614 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Transferring graduate credit from UofPeople Quackerz 8 649 01-16-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
Thumbs Up Will graduate schools in the United States and abroad accept an online college degree shoron 47 6,541 01-15-2024, 11:18 PM