Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PhD programs to accept me?
Thanks for the additional breakdown. The whole arena is very interesting and I am enjoying the complexity of all the layers of these programs.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
(11-25-2017, 05:16 PM)sanantone Wrote: With online programs, almost all of the students are going to be working full-time. So, even though a program might be marketed as being two years, it could take longer based on how much time the student has to dedicate to completing a dissertation. From what I've seen, most EdD programs require a dissertation. Even the ones without a dissertation usually have an applied project that will take just as long. Then, you have some unethical, primarily-online schools that purposely slow down students. Another issue with schools that don't have many full-time professors is that your dissertation chair could quit at any time, and finding and getting acquainted with another one will slow you down.

Have you heard of people who finished any doctoral level program in 2 years or less? How much less?

So if someone wasn't working, there are some that are definitely 3 years or less... but only in a few fields?

There was a time--back when students designed their own programs--that one could do a PhD at Union Graduate School in two years. I know of at least two cases personally. (In fact, the minimum in-program requirement at Union was originally 12 months.) However, it took an extremely disciplined and driven person who also had a very clear vision of what he/she was going to do to finish the degree. more typical was a degree that took 4-5 years.

In doctoral study, the main variant regarding time-in-program is not the design of the program. Rather, it is the time spent proposing and conducting the dissertation.
(11-25-2017, 10:17 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(11-25-2017, 05:16 PM)sanantone Wrote: With online programs, almost all of the students are going to be working full-time. So, even though a program might be marketed as being two years, it could take longer based on how much time the student has to dedicate to completing a dissertation. From what I've seen, most EdD programs require a dissertation. Even the ones without a dissertation usually have an applied project that will take just as long. Then, you have some unethical, primarily-online schools that purposely slow down students. Another issue with schools that don't have many full-time professors is that your dissertation chair could quit at any time, and finding and getting acquainted with another one will slow you down.

Have you heard of people who finished any doctoral level program in 2 years or less? How much less?

So if someone wasn't working, there are some that are definitely 3 years or less... but only in a few fields?

Like Sagan said, most of the time differential happens during the dissertation phase. Some students get stuck, and some students procrastinate since it's basically a self-paced process with a time limit of 5-10 years. Arizona State University's Doctor of Behavioral Health is designed to be completed in exactly 18 months full-time, but it's a very expensive program. There might be full-time students who take a little longer, but the project they require doesn't appear to require nearly as much as a dissertation.

My program is only 41 credits worth of coursework (plus 12 credits for the dissertation). Even though I only attended full-time for one year, the reason why I was able to finish the coursework so quickly was because I took six credits each summer.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Ideas

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PhD top-up programs? FireMedic_Philosopher 11 443 03-15-2024, 11:06 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Universidad Azteca's new doctorate programs Kalas 8 709 02-25-2024, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Messdiener
  2024 Online EdD Programs No Dissertation Required (Applied Capstone Projects) Imbanewbie 2 484 02-08-2024, 01:36 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Texila & UCN - Masters/PhD Programs bjcheung77 5 2,816 06-13-2023, 04:21 AM
Last Post: ZoeRo
  Any All-But-Dissertation (ABD) Doctorate in Psychology (Psy.D./Ph.D.) programs? PositiveSoul 6 1,632 02-09-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Country Preview - Mexico Doctoral Programs bjcheung77 0 1,017 10-18-2022, 01:18 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  EdS/Phd Hybrid/Online School Psychology programs? nyvrem 7 2,260 09-02-2022, 03:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  List of DPA programs by Uni soliloquy 3 1,436 08-06-2022, 06:07 PM
Last Post: soliloquy
  A choice of doctoral programs. Where will I end up? OldTimerStillLearning 12 2,091 02-08-2022, 09:42 AM
Last Post: withrown
  2 Distance Doctoral Programs in Portugal MrPanda 10 3,043 01-31-2022, 09:32 PM
Last Post: sarahmac