Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MY TESU Plan BSBA-CIS to BA CS/MATH
(12-15-2017, 04:15 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(12-15-2017, 04:05 PM)ttower Wrote:         Option 1- complete CIS for under $3500 between now and June 2018. Then start CS and get  $5,000 reimbursed between July and Dec 2018, and another $5,000 for any in 2019.

Option 2- Start CS, complete as much CS courses and get $5,000 reimburse, work on Non-AOS($100 courses) for rest of 2018. Finish CS courses in early 2019. If I still want 2nd degree, I will finish 4-6 months later. (This looks like the longer option.)

Thanks for the replies. 

Just an FYI - I am currently completing the BSBA Capstone, and it is not an easy course.  In 12 weeks, I have written 7 4-page papers, 6 2-page discussions, taken a midterm, and am working on my final 20-page paper now.  If you are not fairly motivated, you are going to have a hard time getting through this final course to get your degree.  Honestly, it sucks.  Why anyone would get this if they didn't really want it is beyond me.

Writing is most definitely not a strong point. I have a feeling that either of the capstones will be very trying.

How are you graded and do you feel you are being graded fairly?
(12-15-2017, 04:35 PM)ttower Wrote:
(12-15-2017, 04:15 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(12-15-2017, 04:05 PM)ttower Wrote:         Option 1- complete CIS for under $3500 between now and June 2018. Then start CS and get  $5,000 reimbursed between July and Dec 2018, and another $5,000 for any in 2019.

Option 2- Start CS, complete as much CS courses and get $5,000 reimburse, work on Non-AOS($100 courses) for rest of 2018. Finish CS courses in early 2019. If I still want 2nd degree, I will finish 4-6 months later. (This looks like the longer option.)

Thanks for the replies. 

Just an FYI - I am currently completing the BSBA Capstone, and it is not an easy course.  In 12 weeks, I have written 7 4-page papers, 6 2-page discussions, taken a midterm, and am working on my final 20-page paper now.  If you are not fairly motivated, you are going to have a hard time getting through this final course to get your degree.  Honestly, it sucks.  Why anyone would get this if they didn't really want it is beyond me.

Writing is most definitely not a strong point. I have a feeling that either of the capstones will be very trying.

How are you graded and do you feel you are being graded fairly?

Grading is fine, and yes, fair.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-15-2017, 04:35 PM)ttower Wrote: Writing is most definitely not a strong point. I have a feeling that either of the capstones will be very trying.

You definitely need to become more comfortable with academic writing. Honestly I took the College Comp Modular CLEP so I didn't need to take a second composition course, but I opted to take ENC-102 at TESU as my very first course (it was free for me anyway) specifically because it walks you through the process of writing a formal paper step by step. I believe it ended with a 10 page paper, but you are working on parts of it throughout the class.

This strategy paid off for me and made it much easier to approach later classes.

The business capstone is much more structured (and has a far shorter paper) than the liberal arts capstone. The LA capstone is completely open-ended, you pick a topic, decide what questions to answer, choose what to research, and write a (very) lengthy paper. It's essentially a thesis and is structured like one. The only real structure is the paper format. The business capstone gives you a topic to write about and then you go do research and make recommendations on what strategy the company should adopt. By the time you get to it you've basically already written the same kind of material in other assignments in that class, so the final paper is just putting those concepts all together to analyze a new topic.

Remember, the business CIS degree is first and foremost a business degree. If you want to learn more about the business side of things (as I did) then it works well for that. If you want to dive deeper into the technical theory (as I subsequently did) the CS program gives you some more options for that. However I believe you can pick CS courses as electives in the CIS program, so you can tailor your CIS program a bit.

Also keep in mind that the CS program at TESU is not a "standard" CS program in that it does not even provide courses in algorithms, computation theory, etc. that are typically considered mandatory classes at other schools. That may or may not be an issue for you in terms of your personal goals. For example if you are planning to get a master's in CS then it may be an issue if this CS program didn't give you all the expected prereqs. For other goals it matters far less, and for many it is just a box to check. So of course do what works best for you and your personal goals.

Good luck!
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dcan's post:
  • ttower
Still moving along, though my pace had to slow so I could complete my COS-101. I was stressing unwarranted in this class for several reasons beyond my control. I will not go into detail until I have talked with the school about the issues. I have another SL course started. Would still like to have CIS done by June by not looking like it now.

I will probably start 2-3 more SL courses by March 1st.
I haven't read most of your thread, but I wanted to say good luck! (I have been over-stressing about a specific exam, so I know what that's like, although I guess mine is more internal than external.) Some courses are much faster than others, so maybe you can still meet June.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • ttower

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 553 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,222 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 375 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 663 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 572 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU-----Transcripts??? midnite123 6 417 12-21-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  TESU---AA ??? midnite123 15 1,036 11-16-2023, 09:17 PM
  CSM Math - what's it like? CircleT7 25 2,303 11-14-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  online RA undergrad discrete math course nomaduser 12 1,017 09-08-2023, 12:56 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  CSM course as a math req natshar 13 1,116 07-20-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: staceydiane