Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help understanding TESU application process
Working toward a BSBA General Management and ready to apply to TESU for the last few courses, then hoping to finish by May.

Courses remaining are:
Principles of Marketing - CLEP
Essential of Speech - Lumerit course ($0)
Cybersecurity - TEEX.org ($0)
Business Law - Lumerit course ($0)
Managerial Communications - TESU Course
Capstone - TESU Course
Advertising - TECEP
Business in Society - TECEP
Cornerstone? - TESU course

From the way my plan is laid out, I'm set to take only 12 hours from TESU, which means getting hit with the Residency Waiver.

However, it looks like if I were to take 2 additional courses (TECEPs?), or 18 hours, there'd be no waiver.  The trade off would be $234 (2 TECEPs) vs. the $2200 Residency Waiver.

Is this an accurate assessment of TESU's enrollment costs?  Are there other ways to save on costs?

Thanks!
(11-16-2017, 11:59 AM)EGnEC Wrote: Are there other ways to save on costs?

https://www.tesu.edu/studycom/

Are there any special tuition discounts at Thomas Edison State University that I am eligible for?
Yes. Study.com students can save on TESU tuition in the following ways:

In-state pricing for both Per-Credit and Comprehensive Tuition Plans
10% reduction on Residency Waiver Fee (applicable for students who take fewer than 16 credits of TESU courses). This discount makes the Residency Waiver Fee $1,800 for Study.com students.
5% Tuition reduction on Per Credit Tuition Plan tuition, or $366 per credit attempted.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Thanks for the info about study.com.  Looks like they offer some good discounts for tuition and course fees!

Do you know if the Residency Waiver would be waived altogether if I took some additional courses?  This is how I'm reading the TESU info, but want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
The residency waiver of $1800 would only be waived if you took enough courses at TESU itself. The courses at TESU are $1098 each (with current Study.com discount) so you're looking at spending many thousands. Courses at TESU will also tend to be slow compared to most other options.

TECEP's no longer count as residency, so skip that plan.

Unfortunately, there is no way to get out of the residency waiver, only to lower it (except to take 8 courses of course, but trading $8000 for $1800 is not a good plan).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-16-2017, 12:50 PM)Ideas Wrote: The residency waiver of $1800 would only be waived if you took enough courses at TESU itself. The courses at TESU are $1098 each (with current Study.com discount) so you're looking at spending many thousands. Courses at TESU will also tend to be slow compared to most other options.

OK.  That confirms my understanding of the TESU application/enrollment fees.  Thanks.

Yep, those courses aren't cheap, even with discounts!  However, TECEPs are only around $39/hour ($117 total/course), so taking some extra TECEPs would bypass the RW and save us some money.  We'll still need to pay for the Capstone, though.

(11-16-2017, 12:53 PM)dfrecore Wrote: TECEP's no longer count as residency, so skip that plan.

Unfortunately, there is no way to get out of the residency waiver, only to lower it (except to take 8 courses of course, but trading $8000 for $1800 is not a good plan).

THIS is why I posted my question!  This is the kind of feedback I was looking for because as I'm slogging through this process I'm sure I've overlooked some important details.  Not counting TECEPs is not cool.  Back to the drawing board . . . .

Thank you!
Just wondering, how much are you paying for Lumerit? It shows $0 for your list above.
If you want the BSBA GM, dfrecore has a template, you should use the recommended courses in the area of study.

You just need to take at least 1 course from 3 of the 4 areas - Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Management.
I chose all SL/Study.com and Saylor courses from that list...

Update: The only course you need from TESU is the capstone.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-16-2017, 01:15 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Just wondering, how much are you paying for Lumerit? It shows $0 for your list above.  
If you want the BSBA GM, dfrecore has a template, you should use the recommended courses in the area of study.  

You just need to take at least 1 course from 3 of the 4 areas - Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Management.  
I chose all SL/Study.com and Saylor courses from that list...

Update: The only course you need from TESU is the capstone.

The Lumerit courses came "free" in the package deal we got.  In their new pricing structure, you can still get several "free" courses.  I found these beneficial for a more complete understanding of some of the courses in my major.  Lumerit isn't inexpensive, but with free courses, access to TrailMarker (speedyprep on steroids), help navigating these college-on-your-own plans, additional discounts, etc. it was worth the investment.
Yeah, if only TECEPs counted. That's what I meant when I said the only way is taking the $1098 course at TESU itself.

We use a TECEP to enroll / stay enrolled.

So capstone, residency waiver, and graduation fee are $3230 and that's with the Study.com discount. Then application fee, TECEP, etc.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • EGnEC
(11-16-2017, 01:50 PM)EGnEC Wrote: The Lumerit courses came "free" in the package deal we got.  In their new pricing structure, you can still get several "free" courses.  I found these beneficial for a more complete understanding of some of the courses in my major.  Lumerit isn't inexpensive, but with free courses, access to TrailMarker (speedyprep on steroids), help navigating these college-on-your-own plans, additional discounts, etc. it was worth the investment.

Just an FYI, those "free" Lumerit courses are offset by the outrageous prices they charge for their services.  We do degree plans on here for actual "free!"

Most of us on here are not fans of Lumerit OR Jay What's-his-name that does degree plans for a fee, and uses outdated info to get people Excelsior degrees (even though they haven't been the best priced model for a long time now).  Nothing against you, we are just against being ripped off.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,010 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,678 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,227 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,134 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,670 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,747 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,365 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,611 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,340 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,398 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic