Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Real "Big 4" is Here!
But if you need graded credits (I needed them for the WVNCC BOG degree), then TECEP's won't work.

I think this is a good degree for those who really NEED an AA/AS/AAS for work or something like that, but not much use for the rest. I would only recommend an AAS if you needed it, and then only if you could get one in the area that you needed (like Fire Service to become a fireman or something along those lines). But a general AAS will do nothing for most people.

Obviously, if you already have 15cr graded, and all of the credits you need for the degree, then it's a no-brainer (I got one just to see what the process was). But I won't be putting it on my resume or anything, as there is no use.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Berzerker, jsd
TECEPs won't, but UExcels likely will.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

That reminds me, I should probably remove my AA from my resume, especially after I'm all done with my second Bachelor's. It just takes up space and has nothing to do with my career field (or any potential future field...)
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • Berzerker, Life Long Learning
(11-22-2017, 11:36 PM)dfrecore Wrote: But if you need graded credits (I needed them for the WVNCC BOG degree), then TECEP's won't work.

I think this is a good degree for those who really NEED an AA/AS/AAS for work or something like that, but not much use for the rest.  I would only recommend an AAS if you needed it, and then only if you could get one in the area that you needed (like Fire Service to become a fireman or something along those lines).  But a general AAS will do nothing for most people.

Obviously, if you already have 15cr graded, and all of the credits you need for the degree, then it's a no-brainer (I got one just to see what the process was).  But I won't be putting it on my resume or anything, as there is no use.

what is the procedure for applying there is no apply now button on the page I read about it on?
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
(12-08-2017, 06:59 PM)EI2HCB Wrote: what is the procedure for applying there is no apply now button on the page I read about it on?

WVNCC now requires you take 15 credits from them.  The only free one left is Pierpont.

https://secure.cfwv.com/applications/Pie...apply.html
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(11-19-2017, 03:30 PM)davewill Wrote:
(11-19-2017, 03:46 AM)jsd Wrote: Save your breath to pump their tires when they can deliver a bachelor's. Or even just an associates without traditional credits.

They're fantastic for what they are: A great alternative route to an AAS. But they still require more traditional credits for that AAS. Not even an AA/AS, let alone BA/BS.

I would recommend them in all sorts of situations, and I think they're one of the greatest new discoveries this forum has uncovered over the past year or whatever.. but they're not in the same league as the Big 3.

No, definitely not. Associate's degrees have such a limited usefulness that most folks are better off skipping one and going right to a bachelor's. I would only recommend one if it's no pain on the way to the bachelor's, the associate's has a definable value to the students career, or the student simply cannot finish a bachelor's in a timely manner.

Agreed. The only associates that are worthwhile are specific career focused associates like nursing, IT or trades.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cardiacclep's post:
  • jsd
Might be still worth my while, I have about 15 credits to go for my AS in Accounting at my local community College but it will take me three semester cycles to get it there. ( I might need work during tax season this year) They only run certain classes every two years. Defcore, did they take DSST I didn't see it mentioned on the school catalog? Did you have to pay the $300 for the evaluation or is that just for workplace experience evaluation.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
(12-20-2017, 11:04 PM)cardiacclep Wrote: Agreed. The only associates that are worthwhile are specific career focused associates like nursing, IT or trades.

I would partially agree. I think of them more like having a minor. For example if I was hiring a new person for my marketing team and I had two candidates with BAs. If one also had an AAS in English it would put them ahead for sure. I would probably consider it better than most (not all) certificate programs.
Former University of Pennsylvania Economics Major Trying to Restart
Currently working on Study.com Guardian Scholarship: Personal Finance, American Government, Environmental Science, Intro to Management, Hist Vietnam War - 15cr
ALEKs: Beginning/Intermediate/College Algebra - 9cr
The Institutes: Professional Ethics - 2cr
TEEX: All 3 Cyber Security - 6cr
CLEP:A&I Lit - 6cr
Sophia: Building Teams - 1cr
Kaplan: PLA - 3cr
Saylor: Env Ethics - 3cr
45cr down
(12-22-2017, 01:41 PM)AJ_Atlanta Wrote:
(12-20-2017, 11:04 PM)cardiacclep Wrote: Agreed. The only associates that are worthwhile are specific career focused associates like nursing, IT or trades.

I would partially agree. I think of them more like having a minor.  For example if I was hiring a new person for my marketing team and I had two candidates with BAs.  If one also had an AAS in English it would put them ahead for sure.   I would probably consider it better than most (not all) certificate programs.

Since AAS stands for Associate in Applied Science, I'm thinking an AAS in English doesn't exist.  But I could certainly be wrong.

I don't think of an AA/AS as a concentration or minor, since a lot of times, there are very few courses required for it that would make it strong enough to think of it as a concentration.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Minors are usually around 18-24 credits. The major in an associates can be anywhere from 15 to 20+ credits. Associates programs, however, usually only consist of lower division credits.

There was an environmental program I was looking at that had vague requirements. They wanted an appropriate bachelors that would prepare one for science coursework. I told them that I had a non-science bachelors and a biology associates. They told me that would be enough for admission. I won't be applying to the program, but It's nice to know that my ASNSM could be used in negotiating entrance requirements.

I haven't contacted the biology program that requires a bachelors in biology, but I wonder if they would also let me slide or if they want the typical general education sciences required in bio programs. I likely won't apply to them either since I found a cheaper biology program that only requires 24 credits in biology.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Almost no one pays college sticker prices. Colleges are getting real about tution. LevelUP 0 353 10-06-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Why Divergent Thinkers Beat Geniuses in the Real World LevelUP 1 413 01-20-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: TwinMom
  Credit Providers that uses real textbooks? msa145 4 1,028 04-07-2020, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Library2HospitalChaplain
  Any other aspiring (or certified) real estate appraisers on the forum? dexter1326 6 2,899 12-06-2018, 10:36 PM
Last Post: rlw74
  Transferability of real estate credits StoicJ 2 1,188 04-19-2017, 03:02 PM
Last Post: StoicJ
  Studying for Introductory Psychology is a Real Challenge mikeclark99 5 1,483 10-23-2016, 08:53 PM
Last Post: mikeclark99
  CA Real Estate Broker humboldtjake 8 1,780 05-17-2016, 07:01 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Researching is Real World Experience for a Researcher sanantone 18 2,367 11-24-2015, 04:47 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  How similar are the real CLEP exams to the practice tests? mseldomridge 16 5,916 05-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Last Post: EI2HCB
  Reasonably priced online or self-paced real estate classes? SDO 8 1,688 03-26-2014, 11:02 AM
Last Post: DSH2007