Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Verifying ID for teen with ProcU?
I remember reading a post in the past about it being difficult to verify the ID of a teenager when taking a ProcU exam. I can't find the post and was wondering what kind of options they might be able to try. 

My son is 15 so DMV records, homeschooled, no social media accounts, no credit or bank account. The only thing I can think of is he has taken a CompTIA exam through Pearson...do you think that might help? He also has a passport.

Thank you....I just don't want the exam appointment to arrive and not be prepared.
He should be fine with just the passport.

I've taken several tests through ProctorU as a minor, using nothing more than a single form of identification (driver's license). They try to have you take an authentication quiz (which I believe is supposed to draw questions from your credit history or something?), however since mine is non-existent, the proctor just ends up asking for a second form of identification, which I don't have as well. After a few minutes, they let me take the test anyways.

In my experience, I've gotten by just fine with just my driver's license.
BSBA:CIS & ASNSM:CS from TESU - June 2018 Graduation

CLEP: A&I Lit., Intro Sociology, Biology, Western Civ. I & II, US History I & II, American Government, Intro Psychology, Macroecon., Microecon., Princ. of Management, Princ. of Marketing, Intro Business Law, Financial Accounting
DSST: Ethics in America, Intro to World Religions, Computing and Information Systems, Princ. of Finance, Management Information Systems
CollegePlus: Comparative Worldviews, Social Justice
Lumerit: English Comp. I & II, Intro to Business
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra, Intro to Stats
Saylor: Corporate Communications
TECEP: Managerial Accounting. Business in Society, Network Technology
Study.com: Comm 101, Digital Marketing and Advertising
Straighterline: Intro to Programming C++
CSU-Global CBE: Information Systems Analysis and Design
TESU: BUS-421
(12-05-2017, 05:55 PM)TacticalTechie Wrote: He should be fine with just the passport.

I've taken several tests through ProctorU as a minor, using nothing more than a single form of identification (driver's license). They try to have you take an authentication quiz (which I believe is supposed to draw questions from your credit history or something?), however since mine is non-existent, the proctor just ends up asking for a second form of identification, which I don't have as well. After a few minutes, they let me take the test anyways.

Is this with SL? ProcU says it is specific to the institution, so SL would actually be the one requesting the particulars.

OK...I was talking to ProcU while I was typing this, they contacted SL and said his passport and another form of ID like a piece of mail with his name on it should be adequate....If I find out otherwise when he takes it I will update this. Thanks for your help!
(12-05-2017, 06:08 PM)walkingbyfaith Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 05:55 PM)TacticalTechie Wrote: He should be fine with just the passport.

Is this with SL? ProcU says it is specific to the institution, so SL would actually be the one requesting the particulars.

OK...I was talking to ProcU while I was typing this, they contacted SL and said his passport and another form of ID like a piece of mail with his name on it should be adequate....If I find out otherwise when he takes it I will update this. Thanks for your help!

No problem. I'm taking my first SL exam this Saturday, so let me know how it goes. (My previous experience with ProctorU was only through a Saylor and several TECEPs)
BSBA:CIS & ASNSM:CS from TESU - June 2018 Graduation

CLEP: A&I Lit., Intro Sociology, Biology, Western Civ. I & II, US History I & II, American Government, Intro Psychology, Macroecon., Microecon., Princ. of Management, Princ. of Marketing, Intro Business Law, Financial Accounting
DSST: Ethics in America, Intro to World Religions, Computing and Information Systems, Princ. of Finance, Management Information Systems
CollegePlus: Comparative Worldviews, Social Justice
Lumerit: English Comp. I & II, Intro to Business
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra, Intro to Stats
Saylor: Corporate Communications
TECEP: Managerial Accounting. Business in Society, Network Technology
Study.com: Comm 101, Digital Marketing and Advertising
Straighterline: Intro to Programming C++
CSU-Global CBE: Information Systems Analysis and Design
TESU: BUS-421

Since the OP's son is 15, he won't have a DL.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Most states will allow a minor to get a state ID.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

My daughter used her passport and had to enter her full mailing address. She did not have a drivers license yet. I was worried she would have to answer questions because I rarely get them all correct. She did not have to answer questions.
I'd think a passport should be fine, or you can probably get an ID card (non-driver's license) at the DMV.

For my StraighterLine exams, the additional verification has been typing out agreement with the honor policy. Only other institutions (so far) have had me do the credit history-type background check.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
The other thing you can do as a homeschool parent is issue your own school ID for your child. I had one for my kids, so they could get student discounts at different places. I also had a teacher's card for myself, so I could use it to get teacher discounts. You can get them different places, but one is Homeschool Buyer's Co-Op.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-06-2017, 12:15 AM)dfrecore Wrote: The other thing you can do as a homeschool parent is issue your own school ID for your child.  I had one for my kids, so they could get student discounts at different places.  I also had a teacher's card for myself, so I could use it to get teacher discounts.  You can get them different places, but one is Homeschool Buyer's Co-Op.

Thank you, I didn't think of that! I know you can get one through HSLDA, but I don't have time now.

The person at ProcU said that in addition to the passport and a piece of mail or birth certificate, they may file an "incident report" which won't count against him, just let the next person that has to verify him know that he is a special situation and that they need to make an exception for that. So hopefully it will only be a small issue the first time.