Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Verifying ID for teen with ProcU?
My son got an ID at the BMV before he was able to get his temps. Now he has temps and that is all they ever asked for during his SL exams.
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr
(12-06-2017, 01:46 AM)walkingbyfaith Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 12:15 AM)dfrecore Wrote: The other thing you can do as a homeschool parent is issue your own school ID for your child.  I had one for my kids, so they could get student discounts at different places.  I also had a teacher's card for myself, so I could use it to get teacher discounts.  You can get them different places, but one is Homeschool Buyer's Co-Op.

Thank you, I didn't think of that! I know you can get one through HSLDA, but I don't have time now.

The person at ProcU said that in addition to the passport and a piece of mail or birth certificate, they may file an "incident report" which won't count against him, just let the next person that has to verify him know that he is a special situation and that they need to make an exception for that. So hopefully it will only be a small issue the first time.

Not sure how the HSLDA one works, but the HBC one is free, and I think you can create and print it right then, and then laminate it.  Best if you have access to a colored printer, but B&W will work too.  It's been a while, so it might be different now, but that's what I did in the past.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-05-2017, 05:15 PM)walkingbyfaith Wrote: I remember reading a post in the past about it being difficult to verify the ID of a teenager when taking a ProcU exam. I can't find the post and was wondering what kind of options they might be able to try. 

My son is 15 so DMV records, homeschooled, no social media accounts, no credit or bank account. The only thing I can think of is he has taken a CompTIA exam through Pearson...do you think that might help? He also has a passport.

Thank you....I just don't want the exam appointment to arrive and not be prepared.

That might have been my comments for my son Evan. He had a state issued driver's permit but they wanted secondary verification. He used a passport. I think it's worth getting this sorted out now, rather than waiting for his testing window to open because what will happen is that the proctor will be confused and have to escalate, and even though you're the middle of a resolution, if it exceeds 15 clock minutes, you'll be locked out and have to pay $5.

EDIT to add: I would be shocked if the HBC id is accepted anywhere. They are not verified in any way, just fill in the boxes with whatever you want, upload a pic of your choosing and pay. It's more of a keepsake than an actual identification. You could make up a name and use stock photos.
(12-06-2017, 01:05 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 05:15 PM)walkingbyfaith Wrote: I remember reading a post in the past about it being difficult to verify the ID of a teenager when taking a ProcU exam. I can't find the post and was wondering what kind of options they might be able to try. 

My son is 15 so DMV records, homeschooled, no social media accounts, no credit or bank account. The only thing I can think of is he has taken a CompTIA exam through Pearson...do you think that might help? He also has a passport.

Thank you....I just don't want the exam appointment to arrive and not be prepared.

That might have been my comments for my son Evan.  He had a state issued driver's permit but they wanted secondary verification.  He used a passport.   I think it's worth getting this sorted out now, rather than waiting for his testing window to open because what will happen is that the proctor will be confused and have to escalate, and even though you're the middle of a resolution, if it exceeds 15 clock minutes, you'll be locked out and have to pay $5.

EDIT to add:  I would be shocked if the HBC id is accepted anywhere.  They are not verified in any way, just fill in the boxes with whatever you want, upload a pic of your choosing and pay.  It's more of a keepsake than an actual identification.  You could make up a name and use stock photos.

Many places will accept a school ID if you have one and it looks like your kid, so it's worth having (at least for discounts anyway).  It doesn't look any different than my kids' current school ID's now, as a matter of fact - at CA public schools.

Also, if they want a picture ID, a birth certificate isn't going to cut it, so at least you have SOMETHING to show.

Since the OP has a passport, that's easy enough.  And I'm certainly not going to go down to our DMV to get an ID card for my kids, that's a ridiculous waste of time (at least here in CA).  Hours long wait for a stupid ID that you may never need?  No thanks.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I'd be surprised if they accept that ID, too, but maybe if they just need an EXTRA ID after the passport, they'd accept it for that?
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
Anyone have experience with study.com? My little guy only has a birth certificate and a rec center membership card with a pic home school doc--we have to renew his passport. He finished his course earlier than expected and I don't think I can get a ID before our month for the exam is out. Not tragic if we wait but would love to know if anyone else had a work around. Thanks so much.
Study.com uses ProctorU, so the basics are the same. (I think it was Study.com that had the credit card-style background verification, so be prepared for that to potentially be a little awkward.) They may take the expired passport. I know a lot of places still consider a passport a viable form of photo ID, even after expiration. I'd just email them and ask if that combination of documents will be satisfactory and, if not, what they would recommend.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
Study.com is Software Secure...
http://support.study.com/support/solutio...tored-exam-
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602