Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Degree Help Please
Here's the answers to your questions on your spreadsheet:

1) Yes, Insurance Ethics is 2cr UL. TESU will automatically waive the 3cr requirement, and add another 1cr to your Gen Ed Electives.

2) Biology is offered many places: CLEP, Saylor, SL, Study.com, etc. If you choose the CLEP, it's a 6cr exam.

3) The Am Lit CLEP is just 1 6cr exam

4) The Microecon and Macroecon CLEP's are 2 3cr exams

5) The Natural Sciences CLEP is 1 6cr exam

6) Mass Comm I is offered through Study.com

7) Mass Comm II is an UL exam at CSU-Global

8) Interpersonal Comm is UL at CSU-Global, and also offered as a UExcel (although an expensive one)

9) Intercultural Comm is an UL exam at CSU-Global

10) Managerial Comm is an UL exam as a TECEP, and also offered through SL or Study.com as Business Comm (COM-300)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you dfrecore.
(12-10-2017, 06:15 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Here's the answers to your questions on your spreadsheet:

I've updated the spreadsheet with your comments and I still have a couple of questions.

-Are there too many 100 lvl courses in my electives?
-Is there any class you would swap out to make it faster/easier?
-Is the current layout doable in 6-8 months (or 12 on the long end)?

I guess I'm just trying to figure out how to put it all together. Since my goal is grad school and I have a full time job and 4 children, I just didn't want to spend a lot of time on the undergrad side. I've read on here that for a LS degree you could test out of everything, but I don't know if that's currently possible or how hard the CLEP/DSST tests are.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU 2018 BALS in Comm V4.xlsx (Size: 41.31 KB / Downloads: 23)
(12-11-2017, 02:17 PM)bchart Wrote:
(12-10-2017, 06:15 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Here's the answers to your questions on your spreadsheet:

I've updated the spreadsheet with your comments and I still have a couple of questions.

-Is there any class you would swap out to make it faster/easier?
-Is the current layout doable in 6-8 months (or 12 on the long end)?

I guess I'm just trying to figure out how to put it all together. Since my goal is grad school and I have a full time job and 4 children, I just didn't want to spend a lot of time on the undergrad side. I've read on here that for a LS degree you could test out of everything, but I don't know if that's currently possible or how hard the CLEP/DSST tests are.

Any thoughts?

There's no upper limit on 100 level courses at TESU. TESU only requires one actual course, the capstone. For 117 out of 120 credits, you can use tests and online courses. The thing to understand is that the online courses in your plan are self-paced. If you're able to move quickly through the quizzes and exams, then you can set a pace similar to studying for and taking a CLEP/DSST. Some people greatly prefer them as they find a single comprehensive exam to be too much pressure. As far as what tests and courses are easier, it's kind of a personal thing. One person thinks College Algebra is a breeze, then next would much rather take an extra history course. You need to look at the course choices through the lens of your own experience.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(12-11-2017, 02:17 PM)bchart Wrote:

There is no rule on how many 100-level courses you can have in electives.  The only part where that matters is in the AOS for each degree.  For the Comm degree, you need 18cr of UL in the AOS (major) and the capstone counts as part of that (so 15cr of UL still needed), and you're only allowed 6cr of 100-level coursework in the AOS.  Gen Ed, Free Electives, have no rules like that.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The spreadsheet still needs a few adjustments. What you have listed as "Liberal Arts electives" should be Area of Study (Communications) electives. You need a total of 33 communications credits in the area of study. 18 of them have to be upper level. (The capstone plus 15 other credits). The only required classes in the Area of study are Mass Comm I & II, Communication Theory, and the Capstone. All the rest are Communications electives and there should be no more than 2 AOS courses at the 100 level. When you do the next update, match it up with the plan at https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/Communications.cfm. Some of the info you are getting is not good, so please verify or you are going to be completing unnecessary classes and not completing all of the ones you need.
TESU BA June 2018.
Various business certificates still to do.
Now that I look at your degree plan, I do see that you've put the "titles" to the different areas in there incorrectly.  You show some courses in the Required Courses area that aren't required.  You show a Liberal Arts Electives that is incorrect: it is Communications Electives.  Between those 2 areas, that's the AOS, and that's where a max of 2 100-level courses are allowed.  Also, the REL-405 and LIT courses won't be allowed - it must be COM courses (or things like Marketing Comm, which is a MAR course but count in COM).

Also, you have Intro to World Religions in there 3 times, you can't use it in multiple places.  I would use it up in the Info Lit REquirement, and delete it from everywhere else.

Delete the Cornerstone.

You may want to rework your spreadsheet somewhat to reflect these corrections.  Here is my spreadsheet again, I think I updated it to reflect the new COM degree correctly.

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU 2016 BA in Communications.xlsx (Size: 46.23 KB / Downloads: 17)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,999 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,670 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,222 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,126 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,663 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,742 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,359 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,604 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,335 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,392 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic