Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannot document my BS, MS and PhD. Next steps?
I have a BS, MS and PhD in Mathematics from a top university in my old country (Eastern Europe). I have published in fairly good journals, taught MS and PhD students, and was almost tenured. Before I formally applied for tenure – at the same university where I got my PhD - we had to leave. My parents were assassinated, our house burned down and all assets seized. We lost everything. My family had to escape to Belgium - where the Belgian government hurriedly helped us get a new identity but not new academic credentials - and from Belgium we moved to Canada. I am in the US now.

I cannot document any of my academic credentials and nor do I want to be affiliated with my old name and life for the safety of my family. It is not safe for me to even contact my relatives back home.

Obviously I have skills in mathematics, given my terminal degree. But it looks like I will have to start fresh. I would - ideally -  like to get into medical school, either an MD or a DO program. It seems a huge waste to do a BS degree all over again when I already have a PhD and responsibilities - a wife and very young children. Any suggestions?
https://www.freedomhousedetroit.org/

I would give these people a call. This organization is fantastic and has association with the Immaculate Heart of Mary sisters from Monroe, MI.

https://internationalcenter.umich.edu/

Michigan's International Center is also a good place to call.

Also, welcome to the United States!
If you truly cannot access your old records, then at least we know how to quickly earn a new bachelor's by taking tests and online courses. Someone like you could conceivably have it in less than a year while working at the same time. Then you would just need the premed prerequisites, which you might well have needed anyway, that are mostly available at community colleges.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • dewisant
I think you're going to have to start again, but not in the traditional way, which is how we can help you. You need to determine which degree you can do quickly, to get into med school. You are going to need SOME butt-in-seat coursework (lab sciences), as well as some courses to get a GPA. BUT, for most med schools, you do not need to have a specific degree to get in. So you could get a math degree, a Psych degree, a Bio degree - or even a BALS. Whatever is the fastest degree for you is probably the best bet.

I would look at the Big 3 to see which degree you're most interested in, sign up for the science courses you're going to need as prereq's for the med school(s) you're looking at going to, take a few other courses online to get a good GPA, and do the rest through testing out. I'm imagining you could finish in a year, except for the science courses.

I would also start talking to some admissions officers at medical schools, tell them a little about your story, and see if any of them can offer suggestions. They may have some experience with this that we don't, and can give you more guidance.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • davewill
(12-10-2017, 11:40 AM)askingsome Wrote: I have a BS, MS and PhD in Mathematics from a top university in my old country (Eastern Europe). I have published in fairly good journals, taught MS and PhD students, and was almost tenured. Before I formally applied for tenure – at the same university where I got my PhD - we had to leave. My parents were assassinated, our house burned down and all assets seized. We lost everything. My family had to escape to Belgium - where the Belgian government hurriedly helped us get a new identity but not new academic credentials - and from Belgium we moved to Canada. I am in the US now.

I cannot document any of my academic credentials and nor do I want to be affiliated with my old name and life for the safety of my family. It is not safe for me to even contact my relatives back home.

Obviously I have skills in mathematics, given my terminal degree. But it looks like I will have to start fresh. I would - ideally -  like to get into medical school, either an MD or a DO program. It seems a huge waste to do a BS degree all over again when I already have a PhD and responsibilities - a wife and very young children. Any suggestions?

Documenting credentials is a different question from getting a new credential which is a different question about how to attend medical school with a wife and very young children.
Even if I couldn't document my associate degree from 1990 I'd lose my mind- I'm shocked that you're so calm. If I were in your shoes, that would be my priority. Validating your credentials changes the entire equation and strategy for furthering your education in the USA.
(12-10-2017, 11:40 AM)askingsome Wrote: I have a BS, MS and PhD in Mathematics from a top university in my old country (Eastern Europe). I have published in fairly good journals, taught MS and PhD students, and was almost tenured. Before I formally applied for tenure – at the same university where I got my PhD - we had to leave. My parents were assassinated, our house burned down and all assets seized. We lost everything. My family had to escape to Belgium - where the Belgian government hurriedly helped us get a new identity but not new academic credentials - and from Belgium we moved to Canada. I am in the US now.

The first thing you need to do is go to a website called EDUCATIONAL CREDENTIAL EVALUATION.org and print out the form to document your qualifications .You will need official transcripts mailed directly to them so they would not know your address in the US.I had the same problem as they burned our house down and I had to get someone to send my trancript to ECE.If you need further information, you can e-mail me at :lawwhiz1000@aol.com.LIONEL
It seems like if you contact the people that eriehiker and lawwhiz mentioned, they should be able to help maintain your confidentiality. The transcripts from your home country would be sent to the organization. People in your home country wouldn't know your American address. It's worth a try.

Edited to add eriehiker to the original post in response to dfrecore's post. I think we're all in agreement that specific expertise is needed here.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
Wouldn't you think that someone requesting their documents would create a GIANT RED FLAG in this instance? If the OP cannot contact family members, why would they want to give their address to a company that could be hacked?

I would contact someone at some sort of agency and ask what you should do in this instance. Thinking that you should just go ahead and order your transcripts seems like a terrible idea to me.

Also, the transcripts/credentials will be in one name, and they have a new name. Kind of witness-protection like. How are they going to prove they are the previous person without sending up a red flag to people who may be looking for them?

I would not do this on your own, I would ask for some help from an organization that knows what to do in this instance.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
I'm sorry, but I feel very strange reading this, I feel this as a shill or troll post, - basically reminds me of this: https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/7...0_masters/

Because you changed your identity, everything changes! Your original identity has the degree, your new one doesn't.
You have three options: 1) Start from scratch, you can finish a degree in as short as 4 months, if you cram everything.
2) Follow the plan laid out by LawWhiz, to see if you can get your credentials evaluated, this may be your best option.
3) Get in contact with the schools of your choice and see what they will need from you to allow admission into X program.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the steps to obtain CHEA accreditation? cecilgambe7 31 3,520 07-26-2020, 10:06 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Steps to Teacher Certification in New York State vaberella 1 1,486 08-31-2015, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Lindagerr
  Wow. Found a pass rate document online, shows pass rates for CLEP and DSST ryoder 14 4,349 01-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Last Post: blu2blu
  Taking the first steps..... dreambailey 17 2,507 05-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Namivie
  Very First steps.. Capribra 2 1,021 09-03-2008, 12:12 AM
Last Post: Capribra