Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help next kid with degree
My DD#2 ready to embark on her college journey. I've been gone a while and things have changed. Here are the considerations: she will be seeking NCAA eligibility so I am looking for cheap online, preferably 4 year schools to take dual enrollment courses. I will check NMJC. BYU doesn't have as many offerings as they used to. Where are the popular (maybe self paced) cheap courses for 4science,4 English, 4 math, 4 history courses I can use for NCAA? She is a high school freshman, and is taking AP Gov, AP US History (these won't count as she won't have them on an accredited transcript), PreCalc, Spanish I, Accelerated Physics and Chemistry. She has ALEX Beginning Algebra and Intermediate Algebra, 3 PADI, and a TEEX under her belt.(None of those count either) I guess I'm looking for cheap independent online classes in the core subjects (less than $500 ish per course)
DD #1
ALEKS Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Pre-Calc
CLEP A&I Lit, College Comp., College Mathematics, Sociology
DSST. Environment and Humanity RTSTP
B&M CC 7 total credits Music performance, Intro to Business
ACE SCUBA Diver, Advanced Diver, and Rescue Diver.
FEMA 15 so far, PDS complete
B&M Univ 9 UL English credits, Creative Writing, Psychology, Statistics, History of Medieval Europe, Economics, Novels of Jane Austen, Great Christian Writers
Dual enrolled classes for this school year: Film and Worldview, American History after 1865, Survey of American Literature, Comp 1(school requirement), Anatomy, Physiology, Medical Terminology I, Ethics, American Military History in Film, Developmental Psychology, Chemistry

Cornerstone COSC, World Lit for Children, Public Speaking BYU, complete
CNA and Advance CNA complete
AS from COSC COMPLETE!
Currently interviewing material on InstantCert to decide next test
(12-10-2017, 11:12 PM)Hometeacher628 Wrote: My DD#2 ready to embark on her college journey. I've been gone a while and things have changed. Here are the considerations: she will be seeking NCAA eligibility so I am looking for cheap online, preferably 4 year schools to take dual enrollment courses. I will check NMJC. BYU doesn't have as many offerings as they used to. Where are the popular (maybe self paced) cheap courses for 4science,4 English, 4 math, 4 history courses I can use for NCAA? She is a high school freshman, and is taking AP Gov, AP US History (these won't count as she won't have them on an accredited transcript), PreCalc, Spanish I, Accelerated Physics and Chemistry. She has ALEX Beginning Algebra and Intermediate Algebra, 3 PADI, and a TEEX under her belt.(None of those count either) I guess I'm looking for cheap independent online classes in the core subjects (less than $500 ish per course)

Since NCAA rules regarding homeschool courses freak me out a little (lot) I would have to suggest you reach out to some of the NCAA Homeschool groups on Facebook. I know they exist, but I don't have links. Sorry, this is a specialization even too specialized for my specialization lol.
Quote:Since NCAA rules regarding homeschool courses freak me out a little (lot) I would have to suggest you reach out to some of the NCAA Homeschool groups on Facebook. I know they exist, but I don't have links. Sorry, this is a specialization even too specialized for my specialization lol.

I have heard that NCAA has rules on the percentage of courses that can be taught outside the home (or online) and still be considered “homeschooled”. I have seen lots of NCAA application discussion on the Well Trained Mind message boards.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DIGI-212's post:
  • cookderosa
(12-11-2017, 08:53 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(12-10-2017, 11:12 PM)Hometeacher628 Wrote: My DD#2 ready to embark on her college journey. I've been gone a while and things have changed. Here are the considerations: she will be seeking NCAA eligibility so I am looking for cheap online, preferably 4 year schools to take dual enrollment courses. I will check NMJC. BYU doesn't have as many offerings as they used to. Where are the popular (maybe self paced) cheap courses for 4science,4 English, 4 math, 4 history courses I can use for NCAA? She is a high school freshman, and is taking AP Gov, AP US History (these won't count as she won't have them on an accredited transcript), PreCalc, Spanish I, Accelerated Physics and Chemistry. She has ALEX Beginning Algebra and Intermediate Algebra, 3 PADI, and a TEEX under her belt.(None of those count either) I guess I'm looking for cheap independent online classes in the core subjects (less than $500 ish per course)

Since NCAA rules regarding homeschool courses freak me out a little (lot) I would have to suggest you reach out to some of the NCAA Homeschool groups on Facebook. I know they exist, but I don't have links. Sorry, this is a specialization even too specialized for my specialization lol.
LOL! Not possible! I do belong to an NCAA FB group for Homeschoolers, and yes, I do report back to them. I know I can have her test out without it counting against her, but if she is going to take courses, I'd like to get the biggest bang for my buck and have them count for the NCAA core courses too! I was looking at BYU, Univ of Utah, and LSU for independent study so she can take the time she wants when she has time. I will figure how to skin this cat and I'll keep you posted.

(12-11-2017, 10:52 AM)DIGI-212 Wrote:
Quote:Since NCAA rules regarding homeschool courses freak me out a little (lot) I would have to suggest you reach out to some of the NCAA Homeschool groups on Facebook. I know they exist, but I don't have links. Sorry, this is a specialization even too specialized for my specialization lol.

I have heard that NCAA has rules on the percentage of courses that can be taught outside the home (or online) and still be considered “homeschooled”. I have seen lots of NCAA application discussion on the Well Trained Mind message boards.

Thanks DIGI I'll go check!
DD #1
ALEKS Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Pre-Calc
CLEP A&I Lit, College Comp., College Mathematics, Sociology
DSST. Environment and Humanity RTSTP
B&M CC 7 total credits Music performance, Intro to Business
ACE SCUBA Diver, Advanced Diver, and Rescue Diver.
FEMA 15 so far, PDS complete
B&M Univ 9 UL English credits, Creative Writing, Psychology, Statistics, History of Medieval Europe, Economics, Novels of Jane Austen, Great Christian Writers
Dual enrolled classes for this school year: Film and Worldview, American History after 1865, Survey of American Literature, Comp 1(school requirement), Anatomy, Physiology, Medical Terminology I, Ethics, American Military History in Film, Developmental Psychology, Chemistry

Cornerstone COSC, World Lit for Children, Public Speaking BYU, complete
CNA and Advance CNA complete
AS from COSC COMPLETE!
Currently interviewing material on InstantCert to decide next test
I second the suggestion about hitting The Well Trained Mind community- they tend to aim for schools above my pay grade. Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,451 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 767 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,178 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,700 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 375 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader