Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to do the Study.com courses?
I'm trying to listen to the videos for one of the Study.com courses and it's so dry that I'm spacing out. The text at the bottom is easy to read, but I'm wondering if there's a huge difference in the content. Has anyone just used the written tutorials and passed on doing the videos? If so, has that worked out well? 

Thanks, 

Kel
In the courses I took, the text was usually a transcript of the video.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • GoldieLux
I use the text only. Except for a couple of their hardest science classes, where I needed the video illustrations to really grasp the complex concepts. But even then, I was only watching about 10% of the videos.

I did text only.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I learn better from reading so I only read the text. Intro to Humanities has visuals so there were times you had to refer to the video. I opened the text on one device and the quiz on my phone. After reading the material I would take the quiz but the text was open on the other screen. It was like taking the quizzes open book. It went a bit faster than taking the quiz multiple times in order to get 100%. If you make sure you get 100% on all your quizzes you only need 56 on the final.
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
(12-13-2017, 08:16 PM)originalamyj Wrote: I opened the text on one device and the quiz on my phone.

I did something similar by opening the quiz in a new tab on my PC.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

I just read the text. I've passed something like 12 Study.com courses that way, just do it like that and you'll be fine
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 2 users Like jsh1138's post:
  • GoldieLux, Yenisei
I've recently started using a speed-reading app (specifically, a chrome add-on called Spreed).  You basically just copy and paste the transcript into a window, and it flashes the words in chunks.  You can adjust both the speed in which the words appear, and the number of words in each "chunk"  The idea is that you don't have time to subvocalize the individual words, so you read significantly faster than you would if you were to "speak" the words in your head.  

I'm not sure about how much comprehension you get at the higher levels of speed-reading, but I've found that I can pass the quizzes pretty consistently at 400-500 words per minute.  This translates into taking about half the time you would take if you were to watch each video lesson.  And, personally, I think it's kind of fun to play with, seeing how quickly I can read and still comprehend everything.  I highly recommend checking it out.
[-] The following 3 users Like robbalobba's post:
  • ajs1976a, GoldieLux, warriortaupou
I find reading them faster, but I will also listen to them while doing stuff around the house, during my commute, etc.
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,301 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 884 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 690 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,350 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,597 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,460 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 752 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,813 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 365 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat