Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NA degree and other countries?
Would anyone know if NA degrees are recognized by Canada, Australia, New Zealand, EU countries, or other European countries?

I would guess mostly no, so I'm worried that if I do the NA degree and move abroad, that my degree will just be a fancy piece of paper. So I wonder if I should skip the planned NA degree Sad

Even if they recognize it, would it be considered low-quality and iffy? And they would doubt I had the knowledge of the other applicants?

Your mileage may vary?

Canada is much smaller than the US market, in Canada even private universities are a strange concept that isn't well known by the population. I did have a look before, the general idea here is that RA is accepted, NA is mostly case by case. That being said, most Canadians have no concept at all about how the academic system works in the US and will not see the difference between RA and NA.

In terms of finding a job, I don't think it will be an issue, unless
1. Want to study in a Canadian university
2. You want to work for the government.
3. Be a teacher
4. Your work legally fall under an association (Engineering, nursing, etc)

You probably don't want to hear it, but you should probably get an RA degree if possible.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
Thanks! I wouldn't want to study or be a teacher, nurse, etc.

I'm not sure if pastoral counseling falls under an association or not. I guess I should mention I'm asking regarding the Master of Theological Studies degree.

It seems that in the U.S., NA degrees are more accepted when it's for that field -- or some of the NA degrees. I think it's when the program has ABHE accreditation despite not having RA? It was explained a little to me before, but I don't remember the details.

Pastoral counseling requirements in the U.S. vary so much from state to state, so I bet it might vary from province to province.

According to Johann, NA degrees aren't recognized in the UK or something to that effect.

Is pastoral counseling even regulated? Is it even constitutional to regulate it? I've seen voluntary certifications. If you cross the line by charging and going beyond spiritual counseling, you'll need an LPC, LMHC, or LMFT just like anyone else, and a regular MDIV or masters in theology will not qualify you.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Well, it's not regulated in the U.S. federally, but some states have licensure now, with varying requirements. Yeah, the voluntary certifications seems to be basically gone now. The main place stopped issuing them anyway.

Yeah, I'm not willing to get an LPC or other state license. I researched it all for the U.S. and felt confident in the M.T.S. for most states where I might live, but now I'm thinking of moving abroad years from now.

(12-14-2017, 05:55 PM)Ideas Wrote: Well, it's not regulated in the U.S. federally, but some states have licensure now, with varying requirements. Yeah, the voluntary certifications seems to be basically gone now. The main place stopped issuing them anyway.

Yeah, I'm not willing to get an LPC or other state license. I researched it all for the U.S. and felt confident in the M.T.S. for most states where I might live, but now I'm thinking of moving abroad years from now.

Which states license pastoral counselors?

Edit: I answered my own question. There are six states with the license. Only one or two look desirable, but I guess that's a matter of opinion.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(12-14-2017, 06:02 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(12-14-2017, 05:55 PM)Ideas Wrote: Well, it's not regulated in the U.S. federally, but some states have licensure now, with varying requirements. Yeah, the voluntary certifications seems to be basically gone now. The main place stopped issuing them anyway.

Edit: I answered my own question. There are six states with the license. Only one or two look desirable, but I guess that's a matter of opinion.
If you don't mind my asking, what were the six states and which ones were the most desirable?
(12-14-2017, 10:23 PM)a4tunatemom Wrote:
(12-14-2017, 06:02 PM)sanantone Wrote:

If you don't mind my asking, what were the six states and which ones were the most desirable?

Maine, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Kentucky. I would only want to live in North Carolina. New Hampshire might be alright, but it's not very diverse, and they have that opioid problem.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I believe there are more than 6 now. Rhode Island? I forget.

An NA degree is in fact a legal degree according to the USA, I would not expect many to make any distinction unless it is a highly selective field and the HR department needs a quick and dirty way to reduce the amount of applicants.

I don't know about every other country, but I have worked in the US for a long time and with many F500 companies and I can safely say most HR departments don't care at all. In fact most put nearly zero effort into screening or even verifying before forwarding me the applicants (as the hiring management).

P.S. Anyone here studying HR, go for it - you will no doubt be able to do better than most
Former University of Pennsylvania Economics Major Trying to Restart
Currently working on Study.com Guardian Scholarship: Personal Finance, American Government, Environmental Science, Intro to Management, Hist Vietnam War - 15cr
ALEKs: Beginning/Intermediate/College Algebra - 9cr
The Institutes: Professional Ethics - 2cr
TEEX: All 3 Cyber Security - 6cr
CLEP:A&I Lit - 6cr
Sophia: Building Teams - 1cr
Kaplan: PLA - 3cr
Saylor: Env Ethics - 3cr
45cr down
[-] The following 1 user Likes AJ_Atlanta's post:
  • Ideas

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 681 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 288 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 642 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,791 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 576 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 513 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 288 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 872 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,245 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,844 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74