Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Online Chemistry, Anatomy & Physiology courses

I'm applying for the Interservice Physician Assistant Program through the Army. One of the requirements is that you have taken Chemistry or Biology AND Anatomy & Physiology. CLEPs and other test-out options aren't allowed. However online, non-lab courses are okay.

Does anyone know of any online colleges that offer these courses for a decent price? I'm having a hard time finding any. Thanks.
    B.S. Liberal Studies Excelsior College
    graduated Cum Laude
    321 total SH of college credit
    currently finishing B.S. in Mathematics at UTRGV en route to Masters in Mathematics
    current goal: Pass 4 of the actuarial science exams and become an actuary
    Retired Intelligence Officer (21 years, 6 combat tours to Iraq and Afghanistan)

Niagara Falls, NJ and SC, I hate to stay home

Default I know they have some here

Ocean County College in Nj has some. I know Cookderosa took some here. They are hard to find you have to do labs to make it a legitamate course and that is hard to do online. I did include a link to the courses they offer.

Distance Learning Courses for Fall 2010
    Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible St Francis of Assisi
    Now a mostly retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
    BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
    AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC Dec '12

Well those courses are pretty good but the costs are just too high, especially for the required lab kits. I need something a bit more cost effective. Thanks though.
    graduated Cum Laude
    currently finishing B.S. in Mathematics at UTRGV en route to Masters in Mathematics

clovis community college and new mexico junior college.....around $200 per course, labs online. I think there is a proctor requirement.

eCampus Course Information

New Mexico Junior College - Distance Learning

you might be able to get into the second 8 week courses at NMJC
    Last edited by dot100; 09-10-2010 at 09:35 PM.

I've done anatomy and physiology at NMJC and can recommend it highly.

University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma - 32 credits
    Oklahoma City Community College - 9 credits
    Charter Oak State College - 3 credits
    Penn Foster - 4 credits
    BYU Public Speaking (IS) - 3 credits
    UP- 21 credits
    FEMA - 14 credits
    ALEKS - Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra/Trig, Intro to Statistics, Behavioral Science Statistics, and Business Statistics
    CLEPS - Analyzing Lit (55), Human Growth and Development (65), Educational Psychology (63), American Lit (64)
    DSSTS - Here's to Your Health (435), Environmental Science (58), Business Ethics (442)

Completed my COSC BS with a concentration in Psychology in Jan. 2012.
    Completed Penn Foster Animal Care: Dogs Certificate in April 2012
    Completed Penn Foster Natural Health Care for Pets Certificate in May 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Professor_Adam
    I'm applying for the Interservice Physician Assistant Program through the Army. One of the requirements is that you have taken Chemistry or Biology AND Anatomy & Physiology. CLEPs and other test-out options aren't allowed. However online, non-lab courses are okay.

Does anyone know of any online colleges that offer these courses for a decent price? I'm having a hard time finding any. Thanks.

They make this a little confusing by telling you you don't need labs, when they are asking for non-intro courses. Non intro courses are almost always in multiples of 4 cr, and generally have labs (hands on or sims). What you may end up doing is taking 2 ea 4cr. General Chemistry courses and 2ea 4 cr. Anatomy & Physiology courses.

TESC offers a test out option for the A&P which is 6 credits, but I read the requirement for your prereqs and I'm sure it wouldn't work. Army PA Information: Home

Another idea, is that you *could CLEP the chem- which wouldn't count as the chem in residence, but use that to meet the prereq for a 6 credit organic chemistry. I know our college offers 6 credit orgo classes on campus, so I'd bet with digging you could find one online. That will NOT be an easy thing to do, but I'm just throwing out ideas.

Note: many,but not all, A&P courses have intro bio/intro chem as prereqs. And many, but not all, general chem courses ask for a college algebra prereq.

As you are finding, generally online sciences can cost a little more. If you could take them at a CC campus, you'll cut your costs down to +/- $300 per COURSE. If money is more important than convenience, I'd suggest butt in seat for the classes. If convenience is more important than money, I'd suggest doing them online.
    I'm enrolled here, which offer all your courses without prereqs, but they are more expensive than Ocean: University of New England - COM - Online Education - COM Online Education

Smile

Lots of great ideas and suggestions from everyone...thanks so much....I'm looking through all the links now...I think there's a solution here that will satisfy my needs. Thanks again.
    graduated Cum Laude

Yenisai......how much time did you have to spend with the material to achieve a good grade ? What did the lab portion look like ? Which instructor did you have ?

Thanks so much......first hand info can be hard to come by !

Ready for your CLEP exam?

Study for your exam using the same CLEP Study Guides used by thousands of members of this discussion forum!

I had Jamie Farrow (AFAIK, she is the only one who teaches the online A&P). I spent around 12-14 hours a week on the courses and I got an A. The labs are OK, primarily identifying the location and functions of various parts of the body. It's a lot of material and you need to be organized and disciplined (I took each 4 credit course in 8 weeks). There is a discussion board each week as well as labs, coursework and exams. The price is pretty good as well (around $80 per credit hour).