Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Liberal Arts Capstone

I was wondering if anyone on here has taken the Liberal Arts Capstone and their experience with it...is it something involved and difficult enough to take by itself, or can I be taking another course or two at the same time?

How much writing does it actually involve? Is the subject matter supposed to be pretty specific or more broad? I was looking at this page and it didn't seem super clear on everything...
    LIB-495-OL

I guess I will find that out when I start it, but I wanted to know a little more before I dive in!

I'd love to find out what any of you that took it thought of it. Thanks.
    US History I- 74
    Western Civ I- 63
    A&I Lit- 74
    American Lit.- 77
    English Lit. 74
    Humanities 77
    Information Systems and Computer applications 61
    US History 2- 72
    Social Sciences-67
    Natural Sciences- 54
    College Composition- 59
    College Math- 67
    Macro 56
    Micro 62
    Western Civ 2 68
    Management 62
    Marketing 68
    Intro Psych 68
    Ed Psych 64
    Human Growth & Development 54
    Sociology 58

I'm signed up to take it. I compared the syllabus of Liberal Studies to Social Sciences and Liberal Studies seems much less insidious. Depending on your Excelsior GPA I would take the Capstone by itself and give it its due.
    BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College.

Oops...just to clarify this is at Thomas Edison.
    US History I- 74
    Western Civ I- 63
    A&I Lit- 74
    American Lit.- 77
    English Lit. 74
    Humanities 77
    Information Systems and Computer applications 61
    US History 2- 72
    Social Sciences-67
    Natural Sciences- 54
    College Composition- 59
    College Math- 67
    Macro 56
    Micro 62
    Western Civ 2 68
    Management 62
    Marketing 68
    Intro Psych 68
    Ed Psych 64
    Human Growth & Development 54
    Sociology 58

You can compare the two schools then! Have a great day.
    BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College.

kimberose,

Any update on this? I'm starting the BALS capstone soon and just wondering what your experience has been so far....

Thanks

I've been searching for feedback too.

I am currently in the LA capstone. It's all centered around a 25 page minimum paper. If you have written a long research paper previously you are done. Kidding. Basically at TESC it seems its all about writing a paper and posting progress for others to comment on.
    Week 1: The first week we had to introduce ourselves and then comment on others introductions...

Week 2: Wednesday I had to post in black board in the class discussion forum what my topic choices are. Then you are to give a reason why and what major questions it will answer. Tomorrow my comments on other students post (at least 2 or3) are due. And yes it's graded. And Sunday we must submit our chapter 1/introduction.

Week 3: nothing is due
    Week 4: post references you've used.. Comment on others and submit draft of chap 2

This is how out semester is layed out. As long as due dates are made and you are a descent writer.. Should be smooth sailing. Our mentor is hands on it seems... Easy to contact and is genuinely there to help "guide" you.

39 B&M Credits To Start With
    Goal: 18 Test + 1 Capstone + 15 Fema = BALS TESC
    Plan: Started 09/10/12
    Degree by June 2013
    Test taken:
    DSST: Human Cultural Geography - 3Cr (9/14/12)
    DSST: Intro to Computing - 3Cr (9/14/12)
    CLEP: A & I Literature - 6Cr (9/21/12)
    DSST: World Religions - 3Cr (9/28/12)
    DSST: Law Enforcement - 3Cr (9/28/12)
    DSST: Substance Abuse - 3Cr (10/05/12)
    CLEP: Sociology - 3Cr (10/25/12)
    CLEP: American Lit - 6Cr (11/02/12)
    DSST: Organizational Behavior - 3Cr (11/16/12)
    CLEP: Psych - 3Cr (11/28/12)
    DSST: Fund of Counseling - 3Cr (11/30/12)
    DSST: Techl Writing - 3Cr (11/30/12)
    DSST: Lifespan Dev Psych - 3Cr (12/04/12)
    CLEP: Social Science - 6Cr (12/07/12)
    DSST: Prin of Supervision - 3Cr (2/01/13)
    DSST: Env & Hum - 3Cr (2/5/13)
    DSST: Astronomy (2/27/13)
    DSST: Vietnam (3/4/13)
    TESC LA Capstone (3/22/13)
    120/120 Credits Achieved

Sounds boring and like a waste of time. I should put "I hate capstones!" in my signature.
    TxState - PhD CJ (ABD)
    Angelo - Master of Security Studies (finished in 14 months and under $11k) & Grad Cert Terrorism
    TESC - BA Soc Sci, AAS ESST, ASNSM in Bio, BSBA CIS (in progress)
    Free study aids: Learner.org, Allpsych.com, Learnerstv.com, Saylor, & KhanAcademy.
    CLEP
    Intro Psych 70, US Hist I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mark 68
    DSST
    Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
    ALEKS
    Int Alg, College Alg
    FEMA
    5 credits, PDS
    TEEX
    4 credits
    TECEP
    Federal Income Taxation, Science of Nutrition, Microeconomics, Strategic Management, Medical Terminology
    CSU Global CBE
    Sys Analysis and Design
    Straighterline
    Intro to Comm, Microbiology
    Uexcel
    A&P

Quote Originally Posted by Riley2012 View Post
    I am currently in the LA capstone. It's all centered around a 25 page minimum paper. If you have written a long research paper previously you are done. Kidding. Basically at TESC it seems its all about writing a paper and posting progress for others to comment on.
    Week 1: The first week we had to introduce ourselves and then comment on others introductions...

Week 2: Wednesday I had to post in black board in the class discussion forum what my topic choices are. Then you are to give a reason why and what major questions it will answer. Tomorrow my comments on other students post (at least 2 or3) are due. And yes it's graded. And Sunday we must submit our chapter 1/introduction.

Week 3: nothing is due
    Week 4: post references you've used.. Comment on others and submit draft of chap 2

This is how out semester is layed out. As long as due dates are made and you are a descent writer.. Should be smooth sailing. Our mentor is hands on it seems... Easy to contact and is genuinely there to help "guide" you.
    Thanks for the breakdown. Could you keep us posted on the schedule from week to week? I'd like to know what to expect during this course
    BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
    "It is our fight." ~DoS
    "I am not alone." ~BotFA
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
    "There is still hope." ~TTT
    "Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~ Civil War 68

Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
    My hair jewelry business

Ready for your CLEP exam?

Study for your exam using the same CLEP Study Guides used by thousands of members of this discussion forum!

Same here. Are you able to work ahead and finish early?