Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ALEKS assessment question

Sorry to add another post, but I didn't want my long winded responses I. My other thread make adding to my panic, lol.

I started the assessment for intermediate algebra and got to question 3 and bailed so I can review on some sites. I chose khan academy and thought I was clipping through pre algebra pretty quickly until an hour in I was only at 4%! Switched over to Algebra, still grasping 20+ yr concepts fairly well, husband starts tutoring me and is having all sorts of fun. shoukd I complete the asssessment where I may only get 10% and start filling out my pie? 🙈🙈

Freaking out about time with the 12/31 deadline approaching!

Quote Originally Posted by erinp88 View Post
    Sorry to add another post, but I didn't want my long winded responses I. My other thread make adding to my panic, lol.

I started the assessment for intermediate algebra and got to question 3 and bailed so I can review on some sites. I chose khan academy and thought I was clipping through pre algebra pretty quickly until an hour in I was only at 4%! Switched over to Algebra, still grasping 20+ yr concepts fairly well, husband starts tutoring me and is having all sorts of fun. shoukd I complete the asssessment where I may only get 10% and start filling out my pie? 🙈🙈

Freaking out about time with the 12/31 deadline approaching!
    I would recommend getting started with aleks sooner rather than later, especially with the yearend deadline.

For what it's worth, I hated algebra when I took it in 1992 and again in 2014. But I love Aleks. Because it made that 2014 attempt at algebra feasible for me. Just keep working on the pie as much as you can.
    Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
    Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
    pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)

Maybe you can set goals. Maybe move up 10% each day. You will be at 100% before the 31st that way.
    Last edited by OakLakeNC ; 12-15-2016 at 08:39 AM.
    Credit Sources:
    Guilford Technical Community College (59)
    U.S Army Training
    ALEKS
    Study.com
    Straighterline
    Shmoop
    DSST
    UExcel

You can use the master account to issue an assessment if you feel you can skip more now.

To touch on what OaklakeNC said, I found that setting goals really helped me. You can calculate what 70% of the pie is, then subtract the number you already have, finally divide that number by the number of days you want to complete the course in.

For example: 70% of 538 (college algebra) is 377. I tested out of 217, so I need to complete 160. Lets say I want to do it in 10 days, so 160/10= 16. That's my personal goal.
    (to clarify, you would need to issue an assessment after completing over 70% of the pie)

https://percentagecalculator.net/

Assessments are not timed- you can do them over an entire week if you want.

Open an assessment. See a question. Open a new tab and learn how to solve the question - use a second tab of ALEKS, Khan, or whatever is your favorite site. Might take 5 minutes, might take 5 hours. Then, when you're confident- go enter the answer to the question. Repeat until complete. If you take your time, the chances of you finishing your assessment at better than 70% is a zillion times faster and more efficient than learning as you do your pie. If you had a semester, then do it the pie way, but you have 2 weeks, so I'd suggest learning in the assessment.

Edit to add- if you don't hit 70%, go into the master account, issue yourself another assessment and do it all over again. There is nothing gained toward your credit when working in the pie. The pie is a learning/teaching tool only. Spend all your time in the assessments.
    Jennifer
    10 year member

MS Nutrition, 2014 Canisius College, Buffalo, NY
    BA Social Science, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, NJ
    AA General Studies, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, NJ
    AOS Culinary Arts,1990 Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, NY

Homeschooling for College Credit (blog)
    Homeschooling for College Credit (book)

An unscrupulous individual might open a graphing calculator, a program solving calculator, or even a polynomial long division calculator and cruise through this stuff.

You're simply bringing it up to make sure they're NOT doing that, right?
    Working on: BS IT-Sec, WGU (76/123 CUs complete)

BA Psychology, Thomas Edison State, 2016
    AA Sociology, community college, 2015
    Linux+, LPIC-1 Linux SysAdmin, Security+, Network+, A+, and CIW Site Development Associate certified
    BA completed using community college, Competency-Based Education (via Patten University - would not recommend), Study.com, Coopersmith Career Consulting (via Tor College Credits), TESU courses, and a handful of free ACE-recommended credits. See my full BA path here! BS being completed by Competency-Based Education (via WGU - would recommend!)

Check out DegreeForum's Community-Supported Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by jsd View Post
    You're simply bringing it up to make sure they're NOT doing that, right?
    My oldest son did all the ALEKS maths that he could through ACE back in the day, around 2011-2013ish. Took years.
    Jennifer
    10 year member

MS Nutrition, 2014 Canisius College, Buffalo, NY
    BA Social Science, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, NJ
    AA General Studies, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, NJ
    AOS Culinary Arts,1990 Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, NY

Homeschooling for College Credit (blog)
    Homeschooling for College Credit (book)

Ha! Thanks everyone for the tips and ideas! Funny that I actually did start the assesment with the thought to learn and look up as I go. After the 3rd question I knew I was in too deep and bailed, went to Khan and revisited the assessment today which I bombed at 46/494, but I did click I don't know a lot just to get through it. Hopefully this is doable.

So I keep working on my pie, do I fill the slices out or try to fill 70% of the pie and then initiate another assessment?

KayV is offline Crown Prince / Princess

Ready for your CLEP exam?

Study for your exam using the same CLEP Study Guides used by thousands of members of this discussion forum!

Sent you a pm. Check under notifications at the top of the page.
    BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
    83 hours of ACE-worthy credits