Default BA in History at TESU How do I get UL credits?

I apologize if this question is redundant and asked elsewhere.

I'm considering a BA in History at TESU.

I'm currently having transcripts evaluated but with the holidays I'm not sure that process will be complete before mid-January. I don't want to wait to begin working on credits.

I have an associates degree so most of my Gen Ed should transfer over. What I need to know is: are there UL classes in the 300/400 level for History available? I believe I'm going to need 5 UL courses at least. If I was in something like BSBA there are plenty of options but I'm having a hard time finding those for History. My goal is to teach History (after I get my BA and teaching license) so I don't think I can just switch to something more generic.

I guess another option I've considered is switching to a generic major like BALS or BASocSci or BSBA just to get a bachelor's degree as quickly as possible (I think I have about 80 credits that will transfer in from various sources). And then I can start my Master's in something more specific. But that is a secondary option

Are there UL classes that meet the History degree requirements available?

Study.com's History 108: History of the Vietnam War or History 308: Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War will transfer into TESU as HIS-351: A History of Vietnam War (do not take both, they duplicate - i imagine 108 is the easier one?).

The DSST exam A History of the Vietnam War will also transfer (and duplicate) the same as the above course. Their History of the Soviet Union will transfer in as HIS-386 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union.

I don't recall specifically what UExcel World Conflicts Since 1900 transfers as, but I believe it is UL (and sanantone had it marked UL on the wiki). Possibly HIS-340?
    Working on: BS IT-Sec, WGU (76/123 CUs complete)

BA Psychology, Thomas Edison State, 2016
    AA Sociology, community college, 2015
    Linux+, LPIC-1 Linux SysAdmin, Security+, Network+, A+, and CIW Site Development Associate certified
    BA completed using community college, Competency-Based Education (via Patten University - would not recommend), Study.com, Coopersmith Career Consulting (via Tor College Credits), TESU courses, and a handful of free ACE-recommended credits. See my full BA path here! BS being completed by Competency-Based Education (via WGU - would recommend!)

Check out DegreeForum's Community-Supported Wiki!

There is a Civil War DSST too.
    Credit Sources:
    Guilford Technical Community College (59)
    U.S Army Training
    ALEKS
    Study.com
    Straighterline
    Shmoop
    DSST
    UExcel

Quote Originally Posted by OakLakeNC View Post
    There is a Civil War DSST too.
    It is not upper-level at TESU. It comes in as HIS-252 Civil War and Reconstruction.

Linux+, LPIC-1 Linux SysAdmin, Security+, Network+, A+, and CIW Site Development Associate certified
    BA completed using community college, Competency-Based Education (via Patten University - would not recommend), Study.com, Coopersmith Career Consulting (via Tor College Credits), TESU courses, and a handful of free ACE-recommended credits. See my full BA path here! BS being completed by Competency-Based Education (via WGU - would recommend!)

Did you take Historical Methods/Historiography as part if your AA? If not, I have no idea where you plan on taking it, but it'll probably be a UL course.

If you took it at community college, it will not come in as UL, however.

Quote Originally Posted by jsd View Post
    Study.com's History 108: History of the Vietnam War or History 308: Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War will transfer into TESU as HIS-351: A History of Vietnam War (do not take both, they duplicate - i imagine 108 is the easier one?).

The DSST exam A History of the Vietnam War will also transfer (and duplicate) the same as the above course. Their History of the Soviet Union will transfer in as HIS-386 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union.
    I ended up passing Study.com's HIS-108, but also looked into the other one, just in case. Both are pretty similar, however their HIS -308 has additional essay questions which count as a percentage of the final overall grade (along with all the quizzes), so might be a good choice for someone who likes to write.
    BA.SS: TESU '17
    AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
    CHW Certification: CC '15
    ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
    CC: '95-'16
    CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
    DSST: HTYH; '08
    FEMA: unusable at TESU
    IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
    Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
    NFA: 2 CR; '15
    SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
    Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
    Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
    TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
    TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by rlw74 View Post
    I apologize if this question is redundant and asked elsewhere.

I'm considering a BA in History at TESU.

I'm currently having transcripts evaluated but with the holidays I'm not sure that process will be complete before mid-January. I don't want to wait to begin working on credits.

I have an associates degree so most of my Gen Ed should transfer over. What I need to know is: are there UL classes in the 300/400 level for History available? I believe I'm going to need 5 UL courses at least. If I was in something like BSBA there are plenty of options but I'm having a hard time finding those for History. My goal is to teach History (after I get my BA and teaching license) so I don't think I can just switch to something more generic.

I guess another option I've considered is switching to a generic major like BALS or BASocSci or BSBA just to get a bachelor's degree as quickly as possible (I think I have about 80 credits that will transfer in from various sources). And then I can start my Master's in something more specific. But that is a secondary option

Are there UL classes that meet the History degree requirements available?
    What might work while you are waiting on your Academic Eval, would be to take all the free courses (ethics, etc, there's been lots of recent forum discussion about which are currently accepted by TESU, it's close to 9 credits available), and have them added to your ACE transcript.

After that, you could use what jsd listed and possibly start studying for the History of the Soviet Union DSST or sign up for a month of study.com and knock out History of Vietnam... and then maybe use your remaining study.com test/course to reward yourself with one of the study.com courses you just *want* to take (that's my personal educational philosophy, hahah).
    ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
    Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread.

Ready for your CLEP exam?

Study for your exam using the same CLEP Study Guides used by thousands of members of this discussion forum!

I should mention that the free courses are conveniently linked in jsd's siggy
    ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member