Thread: 2 WGU questions

Default 2 WGU questions

1. They have a "general" MBA, the other programs don't interest me so I would end up in this program. I have never seen anything like it. Has anyone ever seen this before? And how do you answer when someone asks what your MBA concentration is?
    2. What if you fail or do not get a high enough grade on an exam or paper? What do you do? Retake the exam? Resubmit the paper until it is high enough?
    Thanks
    I also welcome any compelling arguments for or against the program
    And how long it took or is taking you

Many MBA programs don't have a concentration. I've looked at a few, and almost none of them had a concentration, or required one (optional). All you need to say is "I have an MBA."
    WVNCC - A.A.S. - 5/2017
    TESU BSBA in HR
    (in progress) - 112cr, only 3 more classes to go...
    GGU Certificate in Management - 2000

TECEP - Technical Writing 84% (3cr), English Comp II 79% (3cr), Applied LibArts Math 90% (3cr), Public Relations 70% (3cr), Computers 75% (3cr)
    DSST - Intro to Computers/437 (3cr), Prin of Pers Finance/458 (3cr) - 2011 CLEP - Management/69 (3cr UL), Marketing/67 (3cr UL) - 2011

Ed4Credit
    - Accounting II 85% (3cr) Penn Foster - Financial Management 92% (3cr UL) ALEKS - Int Alg (3cr) - 2011, College Algebra (3cr) - 2015 Sophia - Project Management 85% (3cr UL) - 2015 Insurance Inst. of America - Ethics 72% (2cr) - 2015 Kaplan PLA (3cr) - 2015 Add'l ACE Credits (5cr UL) - 2000

Palomar College
    - Organizational Theory (3cr) - 2015 Mission College (36cr) - 92-98 Golden Gate Univ (12cr UL, 3cr LL) - 98-00 San Jose State Univ (12cr UL, 9cr LL) - 88-89

Use the search engine to review feedback on the course. There is a wealth of value shares on WGU.

As for the concentration concern, I would let that go. MBA is the concentration for many (Masters in Business). There are some specialty MBA's that tend to have 2-3 focused classes thus becoming the concentration. Patten University is a good example of this.

You are correct on both papers and exams. Only difference is you have two free attempts at exams and a fee thereafter. If the failing continues one could be removed from the degree.
    MBA, Western Governors University - in progress
    MSML, Western Governors University - in progress

BSBA, Thomas Edison State University 2016
    ASBA, Thomas Edison State University 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story

The generic track is "strategy and leadership" I always just say MBA.

Big pro's are speed and cost. Biggest negative is a huge and complete lack of network it post graduate job support (WGU SUCKS at helping you use that new degree).

I'm not unhappy with my choice all in all, given the same set of circumstances I would do it all again.

Yes, flunk an assignment you do it again....Up to 4 times when I was there in 2014
    MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
    BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
    AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this). Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior...000-total.html

Quote Originally Posted by rebel100 View Post
    Up to 4 times when I was there in 2014
    It's still 4 times now, at least for undegrads. I'd imagine it's the same for grad degrees too.
    Working on: BS IT-Sec, WGU (76/123 CUs complete)

BA Psychology, Thomas Edison State, 2016
    AA Sociology, community college, 2015
    Linux+, LPIC-1 Linux SysAdmin, Security+, Network+, A+, and CIW Site Development Associate certified
    BA completed using community college, Competency-Based Education (via Patten University - would not recommend), Study.com, Coopersmith Career Consulting (via Tor College Credits), TESU courses, and a handful of free ACE-recommended credits. See my full BA path here! BS being completed by Competency-Based Education (via WGU - would recommend!)

Check out DegreeForum's Community-Supported Wiki!

Here's a link walking through the process on failed papers & exams.

Always keep the mindset of putting in the work to avoid failing so this ends up being wasted information
    Last edited by RANSOMSOUL; 04-19-2017 at 05:12 PM.
    MBA, Western Governors University - in progress
    MSML, Western Governors University - in progress

BSBA, Thomas Edison State University 2016
    ASBA, Thomas Edison State University 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story

WGU is a great choice. The only real cons were that it is full-time or nothing, and that you must consistently talk to your mentor. For some, it's more work than the homework, because it tends to drag on and you often have to do things in that time frame. Otherwise, it's a fine school for the basic degree types.

Quote Originally Posted by jadae@wgu.edu View Post
    WGU is a great choice. The only real cons were that it is full-time or nothing, and that you must consistently talk to your mentor. For some, it's more work than the homework, because it tends to drag on and you often have to do things in that time frame. Otherwise, it's a fine school for the basic degree types.
    my mentor rules. I talk to him every other week and it's pretty much just:

"how's it going?"
    "pretty good. should be done with this course by the end of the week."
    "great work, i'll mark that down as your goal. anything you need from me?
    "nope!"
    "talk to you in a couple weeks!"
    Working on: BS IT-Sec, WGU (76/123 CUs complete)

BA Psychology, Thomas Edison State, 2016
    AA Sociology, community college, 2015
    Linux+, LPIC-1 Linux SysAdmin, Security+, Network+, A+, and CIW Site Development Associate certified
    BA completed using community college, Competency-Based Education (via Patten University - would not recommend), Study.com, Coopersmith Career Consulting (via Tor College Credits), TESU courses, and a handful of free ACE-recommended credits. See my full BA path here! BS being completed by Competency-Based Education (via WGU - would recommend!)

Check out DegreeForum's Community-Supported Wiki!

My mentor was similar. We moved our calls to once every two weeks. He was a great guy, even wrote a letter of recommendation for me for my phd program (not sure if he was supposed to). I don't need that sort of motivation, but I wouldn't call having a mentor a con. If I had any questions he was more than available.
    Currently studying for: University of the Cumberlands - PHD Leadership (2019)

Done!
    2016 - WGU MBA Mgmt & Strategy
    2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS

Ready for your CLEP exam?

Study for your exam using the same CLEP Study Guides used by thousands of members of this discussion forum!

I took breaks whenever I wanted including a 3-4 month one in the middle. Sorta miss my mentor checking up on me lol.
    MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
    BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
    AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this). Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior...000-total.html