Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Default Universal Basic Income

So what do you guys think about Zuckerburg's Universal Basic Income?

This will never happen in the US. The GOP certainly won't support it. The Democrats in Congress are actually pretty conservative and pro-business to the point where I they are GOP-lite, so it won't happen unless the Bernie Sanders wing of the party completely takes over from the Hillary/Obama wing. We don't even have single payer healthcare like most of the industrialized countries due to corruption in Congress. This has no hope of ever happening.
    TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
    Courses/exams for both BA Computer Science and BA Mathematics: SL Calc 1, SL Calc 2, APU Linear algebra, TESU capstone
    Courses/exams for BA Computer Science: TESU Computer Architecture, DSST MIS, DSST cybersecurity, CSU-Global System Analysis, rest B&M courses from the past
    Courses/exams for BA Mathematics: TESU College Geometry, TESU Mathematical Modeling, edX differential equations (2 courses), rest B&M courses from the past

I think it is immoral to forcibly take money from good people and give it to others.
    San Jacinto College, AABA (done)
    Thomas Edison State University, BSBA (90/120) Aug 2017 goal

COMPLETED
    B&M
    In-seat: EngComp 1 & 2, US Hist 1 & 2, Biol 1 & 2, Biz Law, College Algebra, Finite Math, Sociology, US Govt 1, Psych, Fin Acctg, Mgrl Accounting, Microecon, Macroecon, Public Speaking, West Civ 1, Biol w/ lab
    Online: Art Appreciation, Philosophy, Programming, Integrated Software, Networking Tech, Intro to Database, Database Design
    CBE
    Institutes: Ethics 86%/ Sophia: Team Building 85%/ Study.com: World Religions 86%, Principles of Finance 90%, Entrepreneurship 94%
    IN PROGRESS
    TECEP: Strategic Mgmt / Davar: International Finance, International Mgmt

I suspect it will become necessary at some future time. There simply won't be enough unskilled work that pays a living wage.

I think it is immoral to let our fellow citizens live in poverty.
    Accepted to Georgia Tech's Online MSCS program for Fall 2016.
    TESU BA Comp Sci completed. 51 units completed in 20 months.
    TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Intro to Anthro, Pers Fin, Intro Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)
    PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

While I agree that we should not be letting our neighbors live in poverty, it is not the right of anyone to take from one what they have earned to give to another. That is a matter of the heart, not the government, or this guy who has already stolen enough from people. There is way too much corruption for this to ever work correctly. Who will oversee it and ensure the right people are getting their money? Politicians? CEOs of charities that are taking millions for themselves before using the donated money correctly?
    TESU BSBA GM - 117/120
    TEEX (4cr) - Cyber Sec. 101 - Cyber Sec. 301
    The Institutes (2cr) - Ethics
    ALEKS (12cr) - Int Algebra - Col Algebra - Stats - PreCalc
    Shmoop (9cr) - Euro His - US His I - US His II
    Study.com (74cr) - World Religions - Vietnam War - Civil War and Reconstruction - Civil War - American Gov - Personal Fin - Spanish 199 - Sociology - Computing 101 - Earth Science - Comp Info Sys - Public Speaking - Prin of Marketing - Digital Marketing - Labor Relations - HR Manage - Prin of Manage - Strat HR Manage - Org Behavior - Prin of Finance - Macro - Micro - Business Communication - Globalization and International Management - English Comp I
    TESU (4cr) - Cornerstone - Strategic Management TECEP
    Straighterline (12cr) - Business Law - Accounting 101 - Accounting 102 - Accounting 201

Remaining:
    Study.com - English Comp II

When essentially all unskilled jobs are automated it'll be necessary for basic survival. and yet there will still be opposition to it, because many don't care about other's basic survival, at least in the US. It's a few decades off though, so Democrats will just kick the can down the road instead of taking an actual firm position on anything that requires a backbone.

Basically it's somehow both essential but will also never happen in the US, like so many things. We always put ourselves in weird predicaments.
    Last edited by jsd; 06-09-2017 at 04:14 PM.
    Working on: BS IT-Sec, WGU (76/123 CUs complete)

BA Psychology, Thomas Edison State, 2016
    AA Sociology, community college, 2015
    Linux+, LPIC-1 Linux SysAdmin, Security+, Network+, A+, and CIW Site Development Associate certified
    BA completed using community college, Competency-Based Education (via Patten University - would not recommend), Study.com, Coopersmith Career Consulting (via Tor College Credits), TESU courses, and a handful of free ACE-recommended credits. See my full BA path here! BS being completed by Competency-Based Education (via WGU - would recommend!)

Check out DegreeForum's Community-Supported Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by jsd View Post
    When essentially all unskilled jobs are automated it'll be necessary for basic survival. and yet there will still be opposition to it, because many don't care about other's basic survival, at least in the US. It's a few decades off though, so Democrats will just kick the can down the road instead of taking an actual firm position on anything that requires a backbone.
    The Zuckster has said UBI should be given so that folks can take risks (i.e. create a startup). The idea that even 1% of folks are capable of this, as if. People are suggesting that once UBI is delivered, a new renaissance will come about; once all of the Mozart's and Picasso's at Starbucks are freed of their low wage jobs.

However, irrespective of politics, technology and automation will soon disrupt society unimaginably. In the past innovations would temporarily wipe out specific job sectors, but then replace it with a new profession or trade. That has been the trend. Soon, automation will replace so many jobs *without* replacing the void, as was done in the past. Gates is probably right in that we will have to simply tax the automation to help support UBI programs.

Quote Originally Posted by StoicJ View Post
    I think it is immoral to forcibly take money from good people and give it to others.
    I mostly agree. But soon, automation and machine learning will replace nearly ~40% of the economy, and it will only continue.
    Last edited by Outis; 06-10-2017 at 12:51 AM.

A lot of people have said that there will be more jobs related to computers once they take over jobs previously done by humans. I heard an interesting interview from a man who doesn't believe this will be true. He pointed out how one man developed several artificial intelligence programs.

We are not at the point of there not being enough jobs yet. I can't remember if it was Kansas or Kentucky, but a third of the state is on some form of government assistance because they refuse to move into the 21st century. Sorry, but the manufacturing and coal jobs are not going to come back in droves. Natural gas is cheaper and more people are employed in the solar industry. The Pell Grant is there for a reason.
    TxState - PhD CJ (ABD)
    Angelo - Master of Security Studies (finished in 14 months and under $11k) & Grad Cert Terrorism
    TESC - BA Soc Sci, AAS ESST, ASNSM in Bio, BSBA CIS (in progress)
    Free study aids: Learner.org, Allpsych.com, Learnerstv.com, Saylor, & KhanAcademy.
    CLEP
    Intro Psych 70, US Hist I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mark 68
    DSST
    Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
    ALEKS
    Int Alg, College Alg
    FEMA
    5 credits, PDS
    TEEX
    4 credits
    TECEP
    Federal Income Taxation, Science of Nutrition, Microeconomics, Strategic Management, Medical Terminology
    CSU Global CBE
    Sys Analysis and Design
    Straighterline
    Intro to Comm, Microbiology
    Uexcel
    A&P

Zuck said it had to come from people like him. When he said it I had to fight the urge to stand and proclaim "I volunteer as tribute"!

My daughter and her friend tried to make their way to the stage and get a picture with him.... security was having none of that. I presume he flew back to Hawaii where he lives behind a wall with armed guards.

If you think guys like that are going to go through with wealth redistribution so Bernie supporters can have a safe place and unlimited pizza I think your wrong.
    MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
    BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
    AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this). Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior...000-total.html

Ready for your CLEP exam?

Study for your exam using the same CLEP Study Guides used by thousands of members of this discussion forum!

Quote Originally Posted by rebel100 View Post
    Zuck said it had to come from people like him. When he said it I had to fight the urge to stand and proclaim "I volunteer as tribute"!

My daughter and her friend tried to make their way to the stage and get a picture with him.... security was having none of that. I presume he flew back to Hawaii where he lives behind a wall with armed guards.

If you think guys like that are going to go through with wealth redistribution so Bernie supporters can have a safe place and unlimited pizza I think your wrong.
    Why would he make such a ridiculous comment then?