Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TESU Course approval

So originally I had planned to just do all my courses based off of Study.com and Straighterline equivalency guides, but these days it seems like it would be wiser to get specific course approvals from TESU in writing in case something changes between now and graduation. I was wondering if anyone could tell me exactly what is the most efficient way to do that? Who to call/email; etc.

Thanks!
    My journey to TESU BSBA-GM
    BSBA-GM: About 50% completed; plan to graduate in December '17 or March '18.

I'll take a stab at this:

Until you enroll and the credits are evaluated, nothing is for certain. It can change between the time you take it and the time they assess it.

Don't use the SL or any other provider equivalency guides. I recently fell into this with DAVAR. Go to the college / university you are interested in, and look at theirs. [s]I used to have it bookmarked, but can't find it atm. sorry![/s]

here it is:

Alternative Credit Project
    Last edited by High_Order1; 06-16-2017 at 03:37 AM. Reason: found it!
    Current Goal: TESU Bachelors in Liberal Studies end of 2017
    Working on: Finishing Portfolios
    Up Next: American Gov't and some kinda diversity credit, then see how the portfolios do
    Just Finished: DAVAR Information Literacy, TESU PLA 200, ALEKS College Algebra

Experience with: RPNow, Proctor U, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, FEMA IS, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, brick and mortar community colleges, ACE, lots of vocational schools

Here is my current list of courses I've taken specifically for this degree path:
    Linky

Quote Originally Posted by Gymfan15 View Post
    So originally I had planned to just do all my courses based off of Study.com and Straighterline equivalency guides, but these days it seems like it would be wiser to get specific course approvals from TESU in writing in case something changes between now and graduation. I was wondering if anyone could tell me exactly what is the most efficient way to do that? Who to call/email; etc.

Thanks!
    First thing is to get yourself ENROLLED in a degree program. That way it can't change as long as you keep it current (1 TECEP per year). Once you are applied and accepted into the school you can take your first TECEP. Simple one would be to take the easiest one they have (for you). I am not 100% sure or not if they will pre approve courses before you are actually enrolled. Either way I started just e-mailing academic advising of the courses I was planning on and they approved them and put them as pending on my evaluation. Doing it this way you have the responding e-mail saying the courses are APPROVED and they should easily go where you want them too when it come time to transfer them in.

Hope this helps!
    Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting: 120/120

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
    CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
    Institutes: Ethics 312
    Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
    Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
    Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
    SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
    TECEP: Strategic Management (63), Federal Income Tax (76)

Remaining:
    Now Just Awaiting Degree Audit

Yes, I always got tests and courses planned into my evaluation before I took them. Basically, there is no way to be 100% certain, but having it planned in provides some peace of mind.
    Accepted to Georgia Tech's Online MSCS program for Fall 2016.
    TESU BA Comp Sci completed. 51 units completed in 20 months.
    TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Intro to Anthro, Pers Fin, Intro Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)
    PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Quote Originally Posted by High_Order1 View Post

This only lists courses through ACP, which is a pretty small list. TESU also posts what they will accept through CLEP & DSST on their website. SL and Study.com have course equivalencies on their websites. There are also TONS of credits not on any of these lists that they accept (anything NCCRS-approved, lots of other ACE-approved courses, TEEX, the Institutes, anything new that's been added by any of these course providers, AP exams, etc.).

BUT, in spite of this, if you have any questions, I would get them approved first.

Personally, since it's not a ton of money, and might be more hassle than it's worth, especially for the BSBA-GM degree which is VERY discussed here on this forum, I would probably just take everything and transfer it in. If there are questions later, you can ask. But generally for this degree, there are so many options that have been successfully transferred in for many years, I wouldn't worry about it a ton.

Of course, I also wouldn't wait until 3 days before I think I want to apply for graduation to send everything in either. I would probably start taking courses, apply as a Study.com affiliate member, and transfer in courses occasionally (depends on how much you want to spend and how long it's going to take you). But maybe once a year, or every 6 months if you're going quickly, and make sure everything is going where you thought it would. That leaves you time to make corrections if you need to well in advance of graduation.
    WVNCC - A.A.S. - 5/2017
    TESU BSBA in HR
    (in progress) - 112cr, only 3 more classes to go...
    GGU Certificate in Management - 2000

TECEP - Technical Writing 84% (3cr), English Comp II 79% (3cr), Applied LibArts Math 90% (3cr), Public Relations 70% (3cr), Computers 75% (3cr)
    DSST - Intro to Computers/437 (3cr), Prin of Pers Finance/458 (3cr) - 2011 CLEP - Management/69 (3cr UL), Marketing/67 (3cr UL) - 2011

Ed4Credit
    - Accounting II 85% (3cr) Penn Foster - Financial Management 92% (3cr UL) ALEKS - Int Alg (3cr) - 2011, College Algebra (3cr) - 2015 Sophia - Project Management 85% (3cr UL) - 2015 Insurance Inst. of America - Ethics 72% (2cr) - 2015 Kaplan PLA (3cr) - 2015 Add'l ACE Credits (5cr UL) - 2000

Palomar College
    - Organizational Theory (3cr) - 2015 Mission College (36cr) - 92-98 Golden Gate Univ (12cr UL, 3cr LL) - 98-00 San Jose State Univ (12cr UL, 9cr LL) - 88-89

It's not enough just to start taking courses at SL and study.com. You may get lucky and nothing happens. Or TESU may change guidelines midstream and screw you over.

1) Apply to TESU and send in transcripts.
    2) Enroll by taking a TECEP ASAP after you become an applicant. You need to take one TECEP every 365 days or less. Don't let your enrollment expire without refreshing your enrollment with another TECEP. There are lists of easy TECEPs depending on your strengths and weaknesses. If you know you need a specific TECEP, no need to wait for the 25 business days to get your initial eval.
    3) Get all courses preapproved in your eval after enrollment even if there is a TESU transfer guide from the course provider like SL and study.com. You can put in a ticket or call them. The transfer guide doesn't mean squat. It can change at any time. If it changes, it's almost always not in your favor and will cost you time and money.
    4) Transfer your courses in a timely manner. Within a few months is fine if transcripts are expensive. If it is cheap or free to transfer, transfer early and often.

Do not skip step 2 because of test phobias or cost. You could get seriously screwed over with courses being downgraded all the time nowadays. And the tests aren't that bad anyway.
    TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
    Courses/exams for both BA Computer Science and BA Mathematics: SL Calc 1, SL Calc 2, APU Linear algebra, TESU capstone
    Courses/exams for BA Computer Science: TESU Computer Architecture, DSST MIS, DSST cybersecurity, CSU-Global System Analysis, rest B&M courses from the past
    Courses/exams for BA Mathematics: TESU College Geometry, TESU Mathematical Modeling, edX differential equations (2 courses), rest B&M courses from the past

Quote Originally Posted by TrailRunr View Post
    2) Enroll by taking a TECEP ASAP after you become an applicant. You need to take one TECEP every 365 days or less. Don't let your enrollment expire without refreshing your enrollment with another TECEP. There are lists of easy TECEPs depending on your strengths and weaknesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailRunr View Post
    Do not skip step 2 because of test phobias or cost. You could get seriously screwed over with courses being downgraded all the time nowadays. And the tests aren't that bad anyway.
    So is it not enough to enroll in a TECEP, you also have to take it before the year change over? I was planning to take my first TECEP in early to mid July, but I guess I should do it by June 30th?
    Working On: TESU BSBA (want both CIS and Marketing) with ASNSM (in Bio and/or Math). June graduation? Community college courses because of Pell Grant overage. "My Journey" thread here
    Goal: Unsure

No, if you're enrolled in the June term, you're​ considered enrolled and locked in for the 16/17 catalog. You do need to take it (and pass) before the term ends in Aug, though.
    Last edited by davewill; 06-17-2017 at 08:59 AM.
    Accepted to Georgia Tech's Online MSCS program for Fall 2016.
    TESU BA Comp Sci completed. 51 units completed in 20 months.
    TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Intro to Anthro, Pers Fin, Intro Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)
    PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Thanks for the advice, everyone. To clarify, I AM enrolled in TESU and am in the process of taking the SM capstone TECEP. So this is more about just making sure that my course plan is as "safe" as it can possibly be by getting the rest of my courses pre-approved so I don't need to worry about the requirements changing on me.
    My journey to TESU BSBA-GM
    BSBA-GM: About 50% completed; plan to graduate in December '17 or March '18.

Ready for your CLEP exam?

Study for your exam using the same CLEP Study Guides used by thousands of members of this discussion forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Gymfan15 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. To clarify, I AM enrolled in TESU and am in the process of taking the SM capstone TECEP. So this is more about just making sure that my course plan is as "safe" as it can possibly be by getting the rest of my courses pre-approved so I don't need to worry about the requirements changing on me.
    Requirements won't change once you're enrolled. You have "locked in" your catalog, and those requirements will stay until graduation unless you let your enrollment lapse.
    WVNCC - A.A.S. - 5/2017
    TESU BSBA in HR
    (in progress) - 112cr, only 3 more classes to go...
    GGU Certificate in Management - 2000

TECEP - Technical Writing 84% (3cr), English Comp II 79% (3cr), Applied LibArts Math 90% (3cr), Public Relations 70% (3cr), Computers 75% (3cr)
    DSST - Intro to Computers/437 (3cr), Prin of Pers Finance/458 (3cr) - 2011 CLEP - Management/69 (3cr UL), Marketing/67 (3cr UL) - 2011

Ed4Credit
    - Accounting II 85% (3cr) Penn Foster - Financial Management 92% (3cr UL) ALEKS - Int Alg (3cr) - 2011, College Algebra (3cr) - 2015 Sophia - Project Management 85% (3cr UL) - 2015 Insurance Inst. of America - Ethics 72% (2cr) - 2015 Kaplan PLA (3cr) - 2015 Add'l ACE Credits (5cr UL) - 2000

Palomar College
    - Organizational Theory (3cr) - 2015 Mission College (36cr) - 92-98 Golden Gate Univ (12cr UL, 3cr LL) - 98-00 San Jose State Univ (12cr UL, 9cr LL) - 88-89